High-scoring words of the night so far:
MESSY (160 points) - against Michael M. [two 4W]
BAA (104 points) - against George M. [two 4W, and the A's were hooked on top of my own BAA - yay for quirkiness!]
Selected incidents from tonight:
* Eric showed up 25 minutes late, and we then discussed how he thinks I'm jokingly psychotic (we both haven't talked to someone much this week, but it's fine) He agreed with me that my new outfit with stylized flowers on it was indeed blue and NOT purple - it's just the pinkish shade that looks purple! (but I have to keep telling him that they're NOT pajamas!) Once I got to church, I said hi to Sam / Sarah / Emily - Hong Kong was pretty cool, they said.
* I saw Jen and Karen at Pho, and we talked about school / Sheena / Greg / Dawn / Ivan / paranoid thoughts / whether we know men are men / caffeine / life / coffee / napkins. (saw Sabrina when I left Pho as well)
* Discussed Wordscraper briefly with Raymond, including the 1024-point word I made. (tried to explain the scoring to Eric later on... he thinks the original Scrabble was more fair, and I agree - it's unlikely I'll make my own custom boards!)
* Kevin told us about an interesting proposal he'd received in the Downtown Eastside: he's definitely NOT up for such things! Give them food, sure... just don't give them actual cash money. It's something we all struggle with as far as the poor are concerned.
* Realized Johnny's smarter than I knew him to be! No, I didn't think he was an idiot before - of course not! He stumbled over the word "drowsiness" in a verse, but I confirmed that he was pronouncing it correctly. When Teresa L. asked what "dissension" meant, the guys and I told her "strife." Then we had to define our definition! Haha! We boiled it down to CONFLICT, often of the unneccessary kind. (no, I'm not making fun of her knowledge of words or anything)
* Johnny actually suggested that Teresa should sign up for a Word of the Day email from Merriam-Webster, heh. I used the word "meticulous" in defining "fastidious," which Kevin had learned in microbiology - it describes a type of organism, apparently! Teresa also asked what "dwindles" meant - we used melting ice as an analogy. Then she asked when we knew what that word meant - in elementary school, or very early high school!
* I didn't know Johnny had been on a missions trip to Africa - very interesting! We discussed money and stewardship of our individual wealth... Teresa kinda thought that rich Christians should live in huts. At least, that's the impression the guys and I got from her questions about why filthy rich Christians don't use their money appropriately. We also told her that different churches account for their funding in different ways - our church has an annual report, as well as meetings. When she told us that "exhortation" was one of the five love languages, we blinked and paused until she clarified that she meant "affirmation." If someone doesn't show your primary love language[s] to you, you're gonna think you're unloved! She then said that she wanted to do all these short-term missions since God had placed a burden on her heart. That's all very well and good, but at least think about your responsibility and such too!
* Discussed DARK KNIGHT with Johnny, Raymond, and Stanley. Teresa wanted to know who Heath Ledger was, so we all looked at her - who DOESN'T know that Batman was his last role before he died of a drug overdose?! Christian Bale played Batman, after all. We talked about pencils / magic tricks (do NOT do that at home, kiddies!) / the Facebook quiz (Raymond got 67%) / fire trucks on fire (kinda ironic) / smashed Lamborghinis (*WINCE*) / corruption / other aspects of the movie.
* Spent some of the ride home trying to convince Eric that I wasn't a crazy psycho, haha. (now that I'm here, I have to convince Corey of the same thing!) I also don't have kegs of beer at home, haha. (discussed Nathan's video and the grad banquet - it'll be SWEET!) Talked briefly about the Olympics being in my country of ancestry - very true, and they'll be here in 2010! Had to wait a long time at the gas station because this girl took her very sweet time filling up, paying, and doing who else knows what. (she should have moved up, man) Accidentally called Eric "Korey" - I swear, this is the first time I've done that! Told Eric that he couldn't go back to another intersection when he was two minutes from my place - I had to go to the bathroom! He said that I could do that at the place where CURRY was spelled with a K - no thanks! (and dropping me off to go to the washroom and THEN going back there is also NOT GOOD!)
Labels: alcoholic drinks, blog comments, emily, eric m., fellowship, flami, george, greg, johnny, kevin, korey, maxed-out tags limit, michael, random, raymond, sam, sarah c., stanley, teresa, wordscraper