Monday, May 01, 2006

OMGHABERDASHERY is ChewablePutty! / Figuring Out The Relay Bots

The OMGHABERDASHERY person is back, with a new screen name: ChewablePutty. This time, I didn't even hold a conversation with the person. They got as far as "I say, old bean, have you seen my hat? No?" and then I closed the window. Richard said recently that this person was back, and I believed him... what I didn't know was that the bot / whatever would hit ME again too!

This is what Corey had to say about it:

[23:43:04] Flami: Industrial Strength Bootine ;): so is that a bot? or some malicious person?
[23:43:25] Corey: I dunno
[23:43:30] Corey: did they send the same thing this time?
[23:46:18] Flami: Yeah... "I say, old bean, have you seen my hat? No?" then I closed the window
[23:54:45] Corey: so it's probably just some sort of bot
[23:54:53] Corey: are the responses fast?
[23:55:06] Corey: real people don't reply exactly 2 seconds after each message, or whatever :P
[23:57:55] Flami: I didn't reply to any of that... but for the last time... um.. I seemed to be talking to some girl who insisted she wasn't the bot or whatever this is :P
[00:08:58] Corey: well, it's probably a bot that manages to send you a message and spoof who it came from... so it goes back to that person when you reply, so they're confused
[00:09:10] Corey: like if you call two businesses at the same time on three way :P
[00:09:45] Corey: "hello?" "hello?" "yes, what do you need?" "no, what do YOU need?" "you called me, f*cko!" "no, I didn't, you pooplicker!"
[00:10:07] Corey: but if the person operating the bot thing can't view that conversation, I'm not sure what the point is :P
[00:10:15] Corey: maybe they just hope people will post about it in blogs
[00:10:54] Flami: hey, there's a thought... I'll Google it
[00:13:52] Flami: Industrial Strength Bootine ;): Google search results for "chewableputty"... one leads me to a Russian page :P
[00:14:43] Corey: what??
[00:14:52] Corey: is that the person it came from?
[00:15:09] Corey: that's probably random... they just find two people online and send a message "from" one of them to another person
[00:15:38] Corey: search for that message you got, not the name :P if it works like I'm hypothesizing, then that name is of an innocent bystander
[00:21:47] Flami: Google search results for "I say, old bean, have you seen my hat?" ... bingo
[00:48:40] Corey: and why are you searching for "chewableputty"?
[00:50:13] Corey: ah, you ARE talking to the bot.. but it's hooking you up with relayed messages from another person :P
[00:51:50] Flami: Industrial Strength Bootine ;): yeah, something like that..

So apparently, Tesseractivity and The Missing Hat are repositories of information on this. There are apparently more than just those two, as well...

thegreathatsby
bananahoedown
studbeefpile66
studleyqbeefpile
dirkfunk3000
dirkfunk5000
funkyplumber238
hatfact0ry
scrubtron
iamscrubtron
scrubtronwashere
scrubtronics
octosausage
goatblaster16
and more, I'm sure...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home