Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bad Baby Names, Part VI: When You're in Love, The Whole World's Welsh

Part VI: When You're in Love, The Whole World's Welsh




My daughter is due in November. She and her husband like the names Dylon Micheal, but there is already a Dylon in the family. I think she should go with an unusual name. Any suggestions?


Wait, your unborn baby has a husband?





I think it's good to name your baby a name different from anyone else's baby, because there is so many people who have the same name your baby have or it's very difficult. Also, it's hard to name your baby a different name, because when you think that no-one have that name there will be someone who have the same name your baby have when think you have named your baby different. so, you really can't think of any name that's different from anyone unless it's something made up.


I really, really hope English is this person's second or third language, and if she were writing in Albanian or Farsi or whatever, she would be so eloquent you'd weep.






Thanks for y'all help! but, y'all don't know the meaning for the name Krissy coz I like that name for a baby! Could you help me!


Well, I reckon it means "Busty gal from Three's Company what wore them tight shirts. Now shet up and get me a beer!"






We named our first child (a girl) Chase. She is a toddler now, and wears it well. Sometimes, it fits her all too well! We love it, and everyone seems to give it a positive response when they hear it, too!


As opposed to giving a positive response when they don't hear it.

And another one...






We would love to get some input from anyone out there. What does everyone think of Chase? (we endearingly call her Chasey or Chasey-Mae) Her full name is Francesca Brandlynn; this way (though we hope she loves "Chase" too), she will have options; she can go with Fran' Chesa, or Frannie or Franka or Chasen...


Upon her birth, Francesca Brandlynn's parents had the horrifying realization: They had fallen behind in the mad dash to come up with the strangest name they could and soon, the Soviets would perfect the Ultimate Dumb-Ass Name. Francesca's parents knew the U.S. could not afford a Weird Name Gap, and began renaming their child over and over, each getting stranger and more distant from her original name.

The child was later mistaken for an amnesiac when, asked by a police officer what her name was, she said (crying), "I don't know."






Seeing that we the taxpayers are paying for these kids, please don't call him Cornie.


Hey, pal, I'll call my kid Cornie Carnielynn, and you can't stop me! Not you or your big government, Mr. Taxpayer!






I am going to have a baby girl in May, and I'm having trouble with her name. Her middle name has to be Marissa, because my friend Marissa made her baby's middle name my name. Okay, I like Raven Marissa, Daysha Marissa, and Kiandra Marissa... but I can't decide which. A few people have said that Raven sounds like a stripper, but I think it's pretty! HELP ME!



Daysha and Kiandra Marissa look like Jumble questions to me.





Back in '63 when I was born, my mom didn't get to name me. I found out later that my Grandma in fact named all of my siblings besides me. I was sad about this when my mom finally told me at age 37. My Grandma (from my stepfather's side) gave me her first name as my middle, and her mother's name as my first. I was named Barbara Fay.


Fascinating. You're a lucky, lucky person if the most upsetting thing in your life is waiting 37 years to find out you've got a family name because your grandma thought it'd be nice.


I am Japanese and British descent. My mom teased me and said I was named after that darn Barbie doll. I am the opposite, that is for sure... short with black hair. My Japanese and British side just happens to be blue blood.


Your Japanese and British side. So, in other words, all of you is blue blood. It must be tough getting transfusions!


Two years ago now, I decided to change my name in court. I decided to add a little touch to my name of Barbara (since I might not answer to anything else) and took my mother's first and middle name as MY middle name to HONOR her. Then of course switched my last name to my proper blood line.


OK, so you're sad that Grandma named you after her mother, your relative. So you change your middle name to your mom's middle name, so you're even more drenched in family names, and change your last name to the one you consider more "fitting"? (that is, snooty.)


I DON'T regret this at all... I would hope that my unborn child loves his or her name that we choose. For I WILL NOT let anyone other than my husband and me name our baby like my poor mom had to go through! It is a sad story that now has a great ending.


Again, you're lucky if this is the closest to tragedy you've ever faced, you miraculous survivor. By the way, why in the name of all that is holy are you telling me this?






My first son's name was Cash, people made fun of it, but then he kinda grow to it and people started likeing it better. and he started like goin to school after the second grade, now my best friend named her two childern bill and cash, it was so cute


Somehow, I don't think this lady liked going to school after second grade. I don't think she went, period.











Here are a few names for girls that I like a lot.

Autumn Dawn
Autumn Grace

Cyndal, Shelby, Bethany, Shayna, Kendra, Leah, August, Alayna (Laynie for short), Gracey, Madelyn, Summer, Mara, Sable, Sadie, Anna, Hillary. I like old names.


Yeah. There are lots of Kendras in the Bible. And Shelby was a popular Elizabethan name.






Well here is the problem my husband and I are having. I am due any day now, and like the rest of you, wondering what to name our daughter. I like the name Cicely, and my husband wants the name Ticely. I have mixed emotions about that, and my parents don't like it. But then I found the name Taybree, and I think I really like it. Our last name is Thomson. My oldest is KaeLeigh Brooke and our son is Terrell Jay, and we call him TJ anyways. Suggestions are always nice.


How 'bout name her Shmicely and beat bullies to the punch?





My mother's name is Stella. Her mother was Gertrude. Mom's grandmother was Sylvia. Feel free to use any of these family heirlooms.


"We decided to name her Gertrude Stella Johnson."

"Oh, that's nice. Are those family names?"

"No, they're the names of some total strangers' relatives and mean absolutely nothing to us."

"Oh."

You just know this lady's gonna name her kids Ruger and Ashelynn, and needed some Yuppie Absolution. What she really needs is a dictionary, to help her with that really, really complicated "heir" part of "heirlooms."






We are having a girl. We want to name her Altum Rose. There are a few problems. The baby is due in March? My mothers name is Rose. We had i rose around the house bloom in autum... so I thought that would be good name.


Well, I don't see how Altum conflicts with March...... Oooh, I see. You're a mutant who can't even sound out words before you spell them. Greaaat.






Jaden Christopher Brandon Thomas Reign (girl) Syre (boy)


Reign? Syre? Hmm, somebody's been playing too many Japanese medieval vampire warrior video games.






The following list was written, literally, with no spaces. I've divided it up so each name gets the special attention it deserves.

Beautiful Welsh names (girls)

Aelwen (fair brow)

Arwen (Fair)

Briallen (primrose)

Drudwen (precious)

Ceindrych (Elegant, fair)


Ceiros (Cherries)

Cerian (to love) Ce pronouced as KEE

Crisiant (crystal)

Faleiry (Welsh form of Valerie)

Fflur (flower)


Eiddwen Eira, Eiry (snow)

Enfys (rainbow)

Eswen (strength)

Eurwen (fair and golden)

Gwennant (fair stream)


Gwennog (smiling)

Gwylan (seagull)

Gwyneira (white snow)

Haf (summer)

Heulwen (sunshine)


Iorwen (Lord, beautiful)

Llio Meinir (maiden)

Meinwen (slender and fair)

Melangell (sweet angel)

Saeran (an Irish saint)

Tegan (beautiful)

Wynne (fair, blessed)



BOMB WALES NOW! Seriously, take any one of these words, put "Marie Johnson" behind it, and try not to laugh. Now imagine the kindergarten teacher trying to say Fflur on the first day of school. That's right. We need to bomb Wales now.


Actually, I take that back. Having been to Wales, and having met no one with any of the above crimes... I mean, names... I think we should restrict bombing to this woman's house.






I have a 7 yr. old daughter named Mariah Carrie [last name] ... as you can tell, my husband really likes the singer. We even have a picture with the real Mariah Carey and my Mariah Carrie together. So we are expecting our second child in April, and I think we should stick with a singer / star name since we started it with Mariah, yet we call her Maya. Sex is unknown, so if it's a boy, I like Marc Anthony, and if it's a girl, Aaliyah Marie. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Any star / singer names?


[No comment, just the sound of muffled weeping.]






I didn't have this much trouble naming my first three kids, either ~~ they are: Michelle Kaye, Kathleen Cierra, and Abbey Julieanna. What do you think of Kaylyn Arriana? Also, do you like the spelling Kaylan or Kaylyn better?


Observe the evolution from sanity to madness. First the middle names are spelled funny, then there are odd names spelled funny, then creeping into strangely spelled but normal first names, then all hell breaks loose.







I think naming your own child is very personal. It also is passed down from your parents. For example, my mother always tried to give us orginal names. My younger sister's name is Beaudra. Yet my husband's family gave practical names. His name is Reed, and Becky and Elizabeth are his sisters. So our children are Gabriel James and Darrian Reed. We are expecting a girl, and her name will be CrystalLynn Elise.



Do you think CrystalLynn, with its double L and intra-name capitalization is the real spelling, or, based on this woman's "original" grasp of spelling and punctuation, that it's a terrible, terrible mistake? Or it's just a terrible mistake, period.

(Added joke for people old enough to remember the jingle: "I believe in CrystalLynn 'cause it believes in MEEEEEE!")






For a girl I was thinking of naming her Quinlynn or Quinnlyn or something spelt similar. I can't find it in any books. What do you think of this name? Does it sound feminine?



No, it sounds like a 19th century cure for malaria.






Great name... I love Quinlynn, have you thought about adding a syllable to make pronunciation easier? I only say that because my name is Angelique Jacquelyn. I like Quinelyn or Quinylin or Quinalynn.


So really you're saying it to spread your misshappen evil around, making a confusing name surrealistically bizarre? Interesting.






I am having a baby naming dilemma myself. I am working on a girl name. I really want something original. The family middle name is Mercedes, so at least that is handled. (I got used to the name when I met his family... the women are strong and passionate) It means "Virgin Mary" and is Latin.


Yeah, but do you have a last name picked out?


The name I really like and haven't told my husband yet is Aemezolina Mercedes. I love the huge name, but I think I would call her Mollie for short. It is an Indian name that I have changed a bit. Versions of it are also African and Latin. As far as I could find, it has a root that means "tower" or "strength." I also like Isadora, but have much more passion for the first name. I would love help.


Well, the first step is admitting you need help. Good for you.

Have these people grasped yet that a kid's not really named after something if their creativity-starved parents go and screw around with the spelling? Um.... no.






I love the name Bretlyn Nichole for a girl and Braynt Adam for a boy. My last name is [last name], so I think those names would sound good together. What do y'all think?


I continue to pray these are horrible mis-typings. Even if that's supposed to be "Bryant Adam," it's horrible and mean. And if it really is supposed to be "Braynt"... I don't want to live.






Does anyone like these names... Blaine, Thomas, Tatiauna, Jane, Kendal, Landon, Chloe, Lynn, Trenton, Daniel, Kerin, Elizabeth?



Hmm... how many rude things can we come up with to play off Tatiauna? I got six in 30 seconds! It's like a Boggle game!






My first daughter's name is Unique Melanie [last name]. I wanted her first name to be unique, and she has my first name as her middle. I am 7 months pregnant, and if it's a girl, her name will be Angel or Destiny Lanell [last name]. If it's a boy, his name will be Maki (ma-ky-i) Donte'.



All right, I'll give her credit for skipping to the chase and just naming the kid "Unique." None of this Amberashlynn Daysharla crap. Save everyone the time and tell them exactly what to think. But, damn it, there's no way on this earth you can make people pronounce Maki with three syllables. Not unless you pay everyone on earth at least $50. More to the Japanese, who will laugh their asses off that you're naming your baby after a type of sushi.






If I had a little girl, I would name her Catatonia Calliope. Catatonia meaning "catatonic or in a coma," and Calliope meaning "beautiful voice." I know it's a tad odd, but I like it!



See, it means she has a beautiful voice. With no brain activity. And drools and needs a catheter. And is played at circuses!







I love the name Meloncholia Francessca Antouinette for a girl, and Zakeri Atruellu for a boy, but my family and spouse absolutely hate it.


I don't know what his problem is. How can he be made sad by a perky name like Meloncholia?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home