Wednesday, June 28, 2006

UTorrent and Speed Tests / Blogquizzes and Survey

Note: LJ Meaningful Name / LJ's singing country! / What my LJ friends are thinking about right now / LJ Pirates blogquizzes. (by Chelsea, Amanda deLassus, irish888maiden, and Matthew)


My cousin Wilson got on MSN to link me to a crazy Japanese prank video on Youtube. It turned out to be one of the videos that Corey linked me to yesterday (so I'd already seen it), but it IS a cool video! :) I also emailed my brother the link to the Phil Garner Youtube video, while I remembered.

Earlier tonight while Corey and I were discussing a certain insensitive person who used to be in my life (Palmer), he told me about a new torrent site he'd discovered.

[22:46:56] Corey: oh, and off-topic, but UTorrent

it has all the features of Azureus, but doesn't eat up all your RAM like Azureus does :P might wanna switch to that for future bittorrents.. it's pretty similar, but seems to work better and smoother
[22:48:18] Corey: I'm downloading and seeding (uploading) quite a bit right now, including two GIGANTIC torrents (12 and 16 gigs) and it's only using 10mb of RAM... Azureus was several hundred megs for that :P since you'll probably be using it for 1-2 things at a time at most... it should stay at a few megs of RAM for you, and not really slow anything else down at all
[22:53:52] Flami: now as for utorrent, are you saying that you totally deleted Azureus from your computer?
[22:54:32] Corey: no, I'm just using utorrent instead of Azureus :P I didn't get rid of Azureus.. though I might if uTorrent continues to look much better
[22:55:37] Corey: Azureus SUCKS as far as being fast and efficient.. it uses a crapload of RAM and isn't fast at all, so it uses your CPU a bit too (slows things down :P) but it's always had the most features...
[22:56:32] Corey: uTorrent seems to do everything Azureus does, and it's small, quick, and doesn't use much RAM... it even has a similar look and feel.. so basically it's the same thing, just works better and doesn't clog up your computer so badly :P
[23:00:38] Flami: ... which one should I get?
[23:01:59] Corey: the 154k standalone thing. you don't even need to install it
[23:02:28] Corey: just run the file :P it'll ask you to put an icon on your desktop, but that's all the "installing" it does
[23:02:35] Corey: 1.5
[23:02:56] Corey: 1.6 is a release candidate, which means it probably works, but it's not the FINAL 1.6 and may still have bugs and stuff
[23:03:28] Flami: yeah... bugs = not good
[23:06:12] Corey: especially the one crawling on your back right now
[23:14:20] Flami: you wish
[23:18:46] Flami: okay, so I ran the speed test.. is there a way to translate "3983 / 477" into something I can actually select from the upload speed thinger?
[23:21:52] Corey: that means your upload limit should be around 40k-45k probably
[23:22:19] Corey: the xx/512k thing is probably fine
[23:22:39] Corey: that's 47k up
[23:23:13] Corey: lower it if you're uploading at 47k and things seem like they slow way down.. sometimes if you upload too much your downloads get really slow too. but lower it just a bit and it's fine
[23:25:29] Flami: hey, what is the background music in those Youtube things that you linked me to a while ago?
[23:26:26] Corey: the crazy Japanese prank video things?
[23:26:38] Flami: yeah
[23:28:33] Corey: I have no idea :P
[23:28:44] Corey: I don't remember the background music being anything I recognized
[23:31:49] Flami: I just asked because my cousin Wilson JUST linked me to one of them... and I remember recognizing the music when I played them yesterday
[23:35:55] Corey: well, your cousin is obviously a few days behind :P
[23:36:55] Corey: well, they play the Mission Impossible theme at the start...
[23:36:57] Corey: if that's what you mean
[23:37:14] Flami: THAT'S IT!
[23:41:35] Flami: Nose-Breath has beat sickness DOWN!: by the way, will it work if I download stuff from Isohunt?
[23:46:57] Corey: why not? so long as the torrent has seeders...
[23:52:10] Flami: well, whenever I click the "download .torrent" thing, it'll use Azureus... now, I'm not sure what'll happen
[23:55:47] Corey: did it ask you to use uTorrent as the default torrent program? maybe it only does when you open a .torrent file.
[23:56:05] Corey: you can just save the .torrent, then open it from within uTorrent... it should ask then
[23:57:50] Flami: yeah, it did... and I set it to use it that way...


Since UTorrent advised me to run an Internet speed test, I accordingly did. Here are the results:

DSL Reports speed test result on 2006-06-28 02:06:39 EST:
3983 / 477
Your download speed: 3983 kbps or 497.8 KB/sec.
That is 16% better than an average user on Shaw Cable

Your upload speed: 477 kbps or 59.6 KB/sec.
That is 17.9% worse than an average user on Shaw Cable



You stand up for yourself in most situations
You consider yourself to be right most times
You believe you are more intelligent than most
You think you will outlive most people you know
Choose your "death wish"
What month were you born
Male or Female
In a past life, you most likely wereAn explorer and victim of a cannibal tribe
This Fun Quiz created by Psychological Studies Institute at BlogQuiz.Net
Capricorn Horoscope at DailyHoroscopes.Biz




Does Michael Jackson think you are dead sexy?
Do I like you?
Are you already dead?
Have you angered the porterpottys?
Chances you'll die. :D
35%
This Fun Quiz created by Molly at BlogQuiz.Net
Australian News at NewsDump




Here's a survey from Amy via Myspace bulletin:

1. Your name plus "y"?: Lesliey. Looks like a bad typo. :P

2. Two feelings at the moment? Tired and icky.

3. What are you listening to right now?: Big Mountain: Baby, I Love Your Way

4. A part of a song lyric that's in your mind?: Nothing at the moment.

5. Last hug?: I guess my mom's co-worker Normie counts...

6. The highlight of your week: Jon coming back yesterday!

7. What are you craving right now? Nothing, really.

8. Any unforgettable childhood memory?: Unforgettable in the sense that I can't seem to ever forget them, not unforgettable in the sense that I would do anything to not let them go... yes. (good one, Amy!)

9. A not-so-good childhood memory?: Oh God, yes. Asian parents, dude! (another excellent answer)

10. Nicknames: Sarne, I guess...

11. Your plans for tomorrow?: Nothing, really... call Barry, maybe.

23. Describe where you are right now?: At my desk, wondering what happened to Numbers 12 through 22. (good answer!)

24. What do you like about the night?: It's dark and no one bugs me. :P

25. If you were on a farm, what would you want to see?: The baby animals!

26. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?: Teacher sticks out in my mind...

27. Last gift?: I guess the $10 Pilgrims gift certificate counts...

28. Did you like it?: It was fine, but I dunno that I'll ever USE it...

30. The stand: Uh, sure.

31. Your good luck charm?: Not sure I have one.

32. Person you hate most?: Depends on how PMS-y I'm feeling, and how others treat me.

33. Who makes you laugh the most?: Nathan, Eric, Corey.

34. What makes you smile?: The little things that people do.

35. Who has a crush on YOU?: Nobody that I'm aware of.

36. Who do YOU have a crush on?: Nobody. :P

10 FACTS
Hometown: Richmond / Vancouver, BC.
Height: 4 foot 11.
Hair Color: Dark brown.. it looks black, though.
Hair length: Kinda to the shoulders.
Eye color: Dark brown.
Mood now: Fine.
Sex: Female.
School: Life.
BOYFRIEND / GIRLFRIEND: nope

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home