Monday, May 22, 2006

Rules at a certain message board

I realize that message boards have rules for a reason. But a certain one has been really bothering me lately. I'm not going to be all "Who are they to tell me that I can't snark at others / use the phrase CONSUMER WHORE?!?" Heck, sometimes I even censor what I post here because I take my readership into consideration! But seriously, I draw the line when I can't express myself as freely as I thought I could. I've been good most of the time and complied with their rules, most of which do make sense. Thank goodness for LJ and GJ (and Blogger too), where I can give my expression free rein! (yes, of course I comply with the TOS!)

I can understand not snarking at other people, but I like being a spelling / grammar Nazi! :D One of the admins there said this once: "It also drives me nuts when people don't know the difference [between YOUR and YOU'RE] since I think it's a second grade lesson, but I would hardly judge the whole person over it. :( I don't think it makes you look like a very nice person when you pick on people who can't use language as well as you can." Because of their rules, I couldn't post what I wanted to in response: "Well, when my only form of interaction with certain people is in a text-only medium / over the Internet, you better believe I judge people's intelligence based on what / how they type! That definitely goes for the people here, especially two people in particular!" Besides, my IRL friends and the majority of Net people I interact with seem to think I'm pretty nice / cool / sweet / awesome, which is all that matters. :P (no, I'm not bragging!)

Hey, she's entitled to her opinion... but to have something as innocuous as "consumer whore" in their word filter? It's not like that phrase is demeaning to prostitutes... at least, not the way I see it. For me, it's a Rejected reference, and always will be. Or it could be a reference to consumerism, as Jeremy was saying about something totally unrelated recently. I could go with that. :D Besides, I have evidence that a certain admin LIKES that turn of phrase! Eh, who knows about the people there... I respect them, but that's as far as it goes. A particular person there has a seeming dislike / phobia of apostrophes, and someone else loves to punctuate everything with "lol." I've aleady discussed how much I dislike that form of Netspeak.

I think I'll just lurk a lot more on that board.. yes, even though I post there like a caffeinated monkey... or a Hyper-Elite Godlike Post Monkey! Heck, I get along quite okay online with a handful of people there. Besides, it just wouldn't be a good thing to not have certain things to snark at. Good thing I've been shying away from posting my complete thoughts about what certain people say on that board. Not that it's offensive or anything, but really. Let's just say it rains because of changes in the weather, not death anniversaries. :P

DOWN WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT! (as Jeremy said about the helicopters and police presence at the China fireworks last year)

Too bad the grammar communities on GJ aren't all that active, what with the most recent posts appearing in late August / early September 2005. It's LJ grammar_whores for me! :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home