Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not financially affordable, but knowledgeably affordable! THE REEF!

Eric picked me up a little later than I thought, but that was okay. We spent most of the ride over in silence, which was fine by me. I hate when people get chatty right when you're trying to get used to being awake, and I'm sure he does too. Talked briefly about his contention that everything is my fault - this because a bunch of consecutive traffic lights were red. Saw Jeremy on his bike, so that was cool - I discussed yesterday's concert briefly with Eric, as well. I expected Eric to just run across the street after we'd parked, and I was correct - oh well, the crosswalk is the good normal way for me since I do have a lot of heavy stuff! (I'm trying to downsize, but it's not happening yet...)

Once in the sanctuary, I said hi to Christon. He said that he was finally getting into the Bathroom Reader which I gave him for his birthday - lots of interesting stories, but some of them are really short. Chrystal had said that she didn't just read hers in the bathroom when I gave her one before she went to Korea a few years ago... Eric always bugs me about reading them in locations which are not the bathroom, haha. Decided to switch seats when I saw Dave sitting down - at least it wasn't as blatantly obvious as going across the huge room like I did a few weeks ago, and it got me further away from Raymond and Randal, haha. Asked him what sort of music he liked... I was expecting him to say "hip-hop," so I wasn't disappointed there. I was surprised when he said he occasionally listens to DEATH METAL, which I listen to a lot! (he brought up FUNK, which I'm cool with!) Jon, Harmony, and Steph noticed where I was sitting - of course, they all had to give me a LOOK, so I shook my head at them. (I could have given them the NG FIST, but decided not to - that would have been too obvious, haha) Saw Vicky just behind me, so I alerted Jeremy to her presence so he could give her the VISA pin.

After service, we asked Dave about his new job - a bike messenger for Kin's Farm market? Cool stuff! We had NO idea that they had franchises in Chilliwack and Maple Ridge! He opined that they needed more English-speaking staff as opposed to hiring just Asians, especially at the Oakridge location... I can understand that! He said hey to Josiah, and then was talking to an older lady whom I assumed was his mother - I dunno. I was disappointed to find out that there was no coffee, but said hi to Adam and Andrew. Talked about essays, term papers, school, summer, and more. Teased Hien about Kenny getting mushy on Facebook, and she said that she had some pain - yikes! Said hi to baby Mattias, who had been a distraction during service, heh. He pointed to my dried pita chip, so I gave it to him in full view of his mother - he just wanted the food, haha. Then he toddled around, probably just seeing legs as Dianne said - she tried saying hi to him, but was rejected in favor of the pita bread chip. Speaking of legs, Steph was telling Angus about her thick calves - they're like Melia's, he says. He also said that he and Melia were now a family for some reason, after they got married - I guess so...

Steph wanted to know what I was doing for lunch - at least she has sense, and doesn't automatically think I'd be going with the parents! I had no idea, so she asked others. She and Jon had planned to sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Harmony, along with teasing about her age: Jon called 35, Steph called 40, and I called 50. A bunch of people joined in with the singing, and I made sure to keep away from Mr. Creep... does he HAVE to be here?! Ugh. Jeremy told me that CAPRICA was the prequel to BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - now, I get it! Talked to Chrystal about sushi and the gig, then realized that I should probably get upstairs. Was distracted by Joshua, Keenan, and Allison for a couple of minutes... once I got upstairs to toddler Sunday School, I saw Ramen / Shira / Amanda / Amos / Conor / Harrison / Jason.

Talked about drawing, chairs, fruit, rainbows, Chinese characters, Chinese names, writing names upside-down, lollipops, paper airplanes, donkeys, palm branches, felts running out of ink, buckets on heads, keeping things from the class material, and more. Accidentally yelled at Conor because Auntie Ying was trying to cut the stickers out of the craft book - whoops. Auntie Ying says that she has family coming in next week, so won't be here... as long as I have caffeine and good enough sleep, I should be okay even with Sunrise Service! This means I don't have to call her on Thursday - all to the good, heh. After that, I went downstairs and was too spontaneous (MUST TELL ERIC!) in accepting Wes and Dave's lunch invitation... I thought Dave had LEFT, man! Jon and Harmony weren't coming because of the Dine-In for students. I realized my mistake as soon as we got out of the parkade, but didn't think Wes had Eric's number. Wes, Dave, and I talked about good restaurants, quantity over quality some of the time, Hawker's, Vera's Burger Shack, interesting signs, Richie, and more.

We got to Hawkers, and found that it was closed! When Christon, Randal, Cindy, and Dianne came up to us, we told them what was up... I also asked Christon to do me a favor and call Eric to let him know that I was with them. (I apologized personally to Eric after lunch, and he just accepted it without saying a word... the OPPOSITE of certain other people, who would just go on and on and harp about it for weeks on end!) He did, and informed us that Eric would be around later. We settled on THE REEF for lunch, since Dave said it was reasonably priced. His family goes there sometimes since they cook this kind of stuff at home - Jamaica, Trinidad, the Caribbean? All good! I was surprised when Dave asked me what sort of music I liked, although I guess it made sense because I had asked him that earlier! Had to tell him that I wasn't really a hip-hop kind of person (D'OH!), but I did like my death metal... and he figured I liked rock for some reason. (I dunno why!) Told him that if he liked jazz, he should come with us to the Jazz Festival in the summer... he seemed to be down with that idea!

We talked about "painted-on jeans," plantain chips, johnnycakes (Dave asks and it appears with raspberry!), etymology, the Indian wedding that Dianne went to yesterday, Cindy and Dianne's brother Tony, the hot sauce (I didn't find it that spicy - I guess Dave learns about me too!), Richie's farewell, henna, Grace, email addresses, the summer Caribbean festival, Wikipedia, (not) getting Dianne's original email about the farewell, naps, shouting in your sleep, Kevin / Dylan, Cindy's stomach issues, people who generally went out for lunch with us, taps on the shoulder, goat curry, roti, Dave's new job, social networking, and more. Cindy will do her social networking in person or over the phone, and Dave told me that he had done it for his friends and family - makes sense. Dave said that he loved my hat since it had buttons on it... I thanked him, even awkwardly. Told Cindy that Moore's was the suit shop (I understood her!), and educated Dianne and Wes on the proper pronunciation of "tortilla" - it's SPANISH!

It was a good time... Dave didn't seem to mind that I sat by him and his stuff. He joked that he was my peon - I was joking with that comment! And no, I wasn't giggling later because Eric was carrying almost all my stuff save the postcard from the restaurant! Dave also joked that I should order all the food and he'd eat it... hahaha, I don't know about that! On the way home, Eric was bugging me about DW - aiya! He also wondered if I'd encountered my mother today... no, thank goodness. Seems he had when he was coming out of the audio-visual room... oh yes, I almost forgot about her Powerpoint duties. Yes, I fail at slamming his door! He wondered what I'd have said about DW had I got his name in the box exercise... I don't know! Also, he observed that I seemed to like people who were into hip-hop these days... SO UNFORTUNATE, haha. We'll see.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home