Saturday, December 08, 2007

Let's drink oil from the fridge and have a greasy digestive system!

Eric picked me up at the usual time, calling me a logarithm - thanks, but I am not a calculus application, and you know it! He made some Homestar Runner references, and noticed that the "WIDE LOYAL" sign did not in fact say "WIDE LOAD" - no, I don't think it's in competition with Booty Burgers! (or A-1 steak sauce ventures, hahaha) Discussed our Christmas plans / a "regular sleep schedule" / next weekend - should be fairly interesting! For some reason, he thinks I'm responsible for the big hole near where I live - I don't THINK so, buddy! Warned me about certain things he'd heard... thanks, I'll certainly heed them! I need a ride for the 21st, so maybe it'll be Sam like last year's Christmas Celebration, haha.

When we got to the church, we spent some time putting our things on the table while scanning the room for possible seats. I sat by Raymond, and Eric sat by Randal - later, I took Eric's seat when Kevin took mine as I got money for the Proverbs study guide. Noticed a shaven Ray, and waved. We sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Chung, and partook of cake. When I went to greet Jeremy and Ray, Ray asked: "Where's the other one?" I was confused at first, but clued in that he meant my sister - Eric had no idea where she was, either. (later found out that she was at a work party) Jeremy said that if Ray asked Jon where his crazy sister was, he'd have no idea who he (Ray) was talking about - too true! I don't deny I'm crazy and random, just as Calla doesn't! Talked to Jen and Dawn briefly - yay!

Gave Christmas cards to Calla, Cindy, and Dylan - I'll give some more out later, of course. We talked about depression, stickers, (dis)trust, stigma, Christians, prayer, money amount for offering (by name?! how embarrassing...), worship, Andrea and Chuck sorting out stolen stuff, Anita's baby being two weeks late, Calla being four days early, my being three months early, Stella's baby being a December baby, privacy law, workers not wanting to take housing away from clients, membership transfers, Advil sensitivity, pain, the bass from Resonate thumping, and other things. I told Eric that I'd brought my Bible, but hadn't brought the guide - he said he might be in the same situation. Calla was definitely in the same boat, since she brought one of her other journals - whoops. Ray said that he was really cold, and I thought that I should have brought a hoodie from home since I should have remembered that the basement heat is never turned on during this time! At least Cindy seemed to be okay heat-wise with a thick jacket, scarf, and other accessories!

Later, Ray and Calla discussed some of the worst study habits ever. Getting to the library at 1, checking email, doing devotions, reading non-study related stuff, sleeping, and other things BEFORE studying for five minutes and then falling back asleep again while people poke you / throw things at you? That is CRAZY! Ray apparently doesn't help his friends when they're trying to study - "Okay, I'm here to bring the party to you. I hope you got some work done!" Sounds like Jon, whom I went upstairs to search for. He was talking to Sam, Mike (he waved to me!), Margaret, and Esther - I said hi to Esther, of course. Went downstairs with the news that Jon denied he made everyone slower - Calla knows Jon by now, and figures that's exactly what he'd say!

We talked about the time Jeremy's uncle drank oil from the fridge since he was just SO thirsty / dehydrated from a hot day that he didn't pay attention to what he was consuming. Jeremy and his family got home a while later, and the uncle was wondering why oil would be kept in the fridge! Let's just say that it's a good thing you can't absorb that much oil at once since the caloric value alone would make your heart / arteries just STOP! It's very good for oiling up your digestive system, for sure! I've found that out a lot, haha. (like yesterday afternoon, heh) Calla shared that she's allergic to oats AND cheese - no snack packs or wine / cheese tastings for YOU! Processed cheese is fine, but that's not real cheese... she was pretty tired last week after work, so didn't go to ping-pong. She zonked out at 8:30 or 9 - Ray doesn't know how Jeremy gets up at 4 AM to go to work, since sometimes he's still up doing essays and such!

Eventually, Jon came downstairs to scare Dawn - they later figured out their ages in relation to each other, and that they owed each other belated birthday greetings and such! Stanley came downstairs to try kicking us out, and told Jeremy to stop changing his facial hair style - my grandma's nickname of "Bearded Man" is now appropriate once again, heh. Jeremy had a red headlight thing, which Stanley was very interested in. I talked to Maisie and Martin briefly, too. Good times, for sure - we also discussed how microwaving strawberries or something similar for five seconds would get rid of any allergens in the food if you were allergic to it. Calla asked if Jeremy had seen this, and he had. They discussed engineering stuff, and then Jeremy said that a friend of his could have strawberries if he sliced them first and then let them stand for five minutes or so. That was also strange, but then microwaves DO alter the food - why should slicing it be any different? :P

The Congee House idea reminded me of when we used to eat dinner twice on Fridays because Sean was like "I'm SO HUNGRY, guys!" - he didn't eat lunch OR dinner, amazingly enough. (Sam looked cold, and told Jon that Nate hadn't left yet) Eric helped Raymond scrape ice off his car before we left... Jeremy wasn't going since he has to work tomorrow! Poor guy. Jon mentioned that Fidela's grandma had indeed passed away on Sunday - it was bound to happen sometime, sadly. :( (No idea when the funeral is - maybe Mom will know since the original date was the 29th, but she passed earlier than they thought she would. I was a bit reserved when talking about it, and chalked my hesitation up to the usual reserve about talking of death and funerals. Not asking Grandma since she's superstitious about it!) Eric mentioned that Fidela was at the Chicago PPV game - very nice! (Ray got confused between his friend Clement and Fidela's brother Clement, haha - he also got confused between Phil, Daniel, and Nathan looking alike! "Yes, they have a very bizarre family relationship where Clement doesn't know his own sister! Maybe he's been long-lost, or has amnesia! Haha.")

Talked about Stateside trips, beer, Ray calling his friends up with NO SHAME at 2 AM Toronto time to ask what a turnip cake with peppers / eggs / other stuff might be called over here (my sibs and I do NOT read Chinese!), his "Chinese gangster" look, pork blood, Bible tripe, pig intestine hot pot (yummy - NOT), hot and sour soup, the Bob Newhart "STOP IT!" approach to solving problems / changing your destiny ("you're in an abusive relationship? Just STOP IT!"), Jeremy / Ray's cooking arrangements, and getting to the airport by 8:30 AM tomorrow. - good luck! Nathan made a bad joke, so he got to pray for our food... Ray was reminded of a time where his girlfriend Peggy was hassling him, so he prayed: "You're a just Lord, so please smite Peggy!" Haha, she smacked him for that one - and rightly so!

Campus Crusade for Christ has changed their name: it's now called POWER TO CHANGE, which made Nathan / me / Jon think of those Christianity commercials from 2001 or so. "YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE!" No, it's not affiliated with those at all. Discussed athletes, speed skater Catrina Le May Doan, weekend hangouts, her brother the NHL player Shane Doan, trainer Bart Doan, Silken Laumann, Cindy Klassen, and more. We had our usual interesting time trying to figure out the bill - I spotted most of Jon's stuff since he did the same last week, but then we ended up sharing a hot and sour soup and noodles / chicken / mushrooms! Ray offered me a wonton, and wondered if I minded that it was in hot sauce - nope, as Jon told him! On the way home, we discussed books / the usual jokes / Jeremy / others. Then I finished up a Facebook Scrabble game, and went to bed. So much for my regular sleep schedule...

Ooh, Uncle Daniel just emailed us. JEFF AND ANITA HAVE HAD THEIR BABY EARLY THIS MORNING! (like at midnight-ish?) It's a girl, and I bet their family is very happy. :D

Edit: The funeral is still on Dec. 29 (a Saturday - Awana break!) at 1:30. She was a considerate and nice lady, giving lots of money to the church building fund, and wanting her grandkids to be there. Thought of her will, cemetery plot, and everything else too! Mom says she cried on Sunday when Fidela's grandma died, but Jon and I figure it was bound to happen. Doesn't mean it's still sad news... but it was expected.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home