Saturday, December 22, 2007

The jewels and stars mesmerize the babies, so that makes me happy!

Ivan picked me up at 5:30 yesterday night, and we were on our way to church. We'd both had fine weeks overall, and he's been going out a lot with his friends since they're all free now because of winter break. He's going to Winter Conference, so we talked about that for a while - he's been twice already, and likes the speakers there. Told him how amusing his sibs can be - he lives with them, so he's used to Natalie and Nathan's weirdness! Hillsongs provided a great soundtrack, heh. He always asks his siblings if they're able to stay up till midnight on New Year's Eve - they say they can, but end up falling asleep more often than not, heh.

Got to church shortly after 6, and saw Chris at the drum set - of course I had to hug him hello! SO GOOD TO SEE HIM! Dylan said he needed my amazing powers - sure, I'm always up to help my friends especially if I'm on the Committee! I got Dawn / Lesley / the "different woman" Teresa / Karen / Vivian / Calla / Martin / Raymond / Chung / Cindy / Connie / Andrea / Chuck / Jeremy ("yay for baby!" might be childish, but it's good!) to sign baby cards (SO adorable!) for Noah and Allison, and a condolence card for Phil's family. Maxine (who came up with her son Joshua) said she wasn't sure on the spelling of Anita's kid's name - so many ways to spell a simple name nowadays, especially with parents trying to be unique. Her niece is Kaela, not Kayla - it's a life forever dooming little girls (primarily) to making screwed-up faces and going "EW! THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S SPELLED! IT'S NOT ME!!!!" Haha.

It was definitely surprising to me to see Jeremy since I thought he'd be in Kelowna - his work schedule is crazy, since he's doing two jobs because an employee is sick. "I'll have the THAT kind, or I'll have what she's having!" was what he came up with for the punch served with dinner. Butter chicken, curry chicken, meat, salad, apple cider, and much more... it was good talking to people, for sure! No, I didn't see a certain someone, nor did I think it would be a wise decision to talk if I did! Saw Auntie Catherine, who asked if I've ever been to Hong Kong. When I said no, she joked that maybe she'd have to take me one day - sure, but it's expensive, and I'm too hak-hai! Martin thought he'd be late, but it turned out he was just in time for the food! Jon showed us the eggnog - Jeremy joked that it would be fun if there were a kids' eggnog and an adult eggnog, and those got mixed up. "Gee, why are the kids having such a good time, and the adults look totally hostile?!" Haha.

Little Keenan (who turned one last week) reached out for the stars on my Santa hat - no, it doesn't light up like Tim thought! He also liked the jewels on my red festive shirt, and I remembered how Megan had liked them last year! So mesmerizing for babies! Said hi to Megan with her toy recorder (who said hi back!), and also greeted her aunts Connie and Jenny. As I told Anthony later, I truthfully didn't really feel like celebrating the holiday, but the kids liked the Santa hat and the shirt. Who am I to disappoint the kids?! (which reminds me, I need to write cards and make up a candy package? YIKES!) Olivia, Benjamin, and other kids were running around looking at the Christmas tree and the candles during the service we had later - I noticed Ian wanted to follow his cousin, but was hesitant. Hannah was so good and just sat there in someone's lap! Cindy said that her kids had gone through all sorts of emotions this week, including being very hyper and jumping up and down! Vanessa can relate, for sure... they'll have to have a girls' night out, which means NO BOYFRIENDS! Steph unfortunately saw girls bring their boyfriends to girls' nights and get-togethers... NO GUYS ALLOWED should be pretty simple to understand. Guess some girls can't live without their boyfriends even for one night! *shakes head* It's ALL GIRLS for a REASON, people!

The dinner was good, though - Jeremy told us this story of a crazy (gay?) couple who'd come into his warehouse to pick up a furniture order. They immediately started messing around with his forklift, and even ANSWERED THE OFFICE PHONE when it started ringing! ("Hey, Jeremy! It's for you...") Finally, he told them to get out of his warehouse and he'd take the furniture out to them instead! They didn't leave, but they stopped messing around with stuff at least. We were all appalled at the lack of restraint! Calla noticed he was growing out his beard again - it has to do with work schedules, heh. (14-hour days?!) His parents already bought him a plane ticket, so he'll be flying on Christmas Eve, and getting back on Christmas Day - 20 hours is better than nothing, we suppose. Talked to Cordia at the piano about the morbid book I got her - she hasn't finished it yet, so I guess she let Citrus borrow it. She gets too much email as it is, so didn't bother signing up for the morbid facts list - Hotmail's spam filters suck compared to Gmail, I told her. Frances said her sisters Sophia and Elaine planned her baby shower specifically for when Elaine would be back in town - I bet she's excited too!

Chung said Karen was resting from having her impacted wisdom teeth out - good idea! We saw her later on, and she seemed to be okay - we all remember how Emily C. seriously looked like a chipmunk when she had hers out! Talked to Janette for a bit - I said that I was forgetting things now, and also mishearing things a lot. Warned her that this is what it's like getting old - Karen C. joked that this made HER seem retarded since she's older than I am. Later, she thought I was mad at her - that's not the case. I should probably email her to tell her the story once I'm done catching up on blogging. Talked to Billy briefly, and gently felt baby Noah's head - of course he's sleeping! Got some plans made with Ivan - worship practice, early 8 AM dentist appointments, etc.?! Nuts! Talked to Andrea and Chuck before they left for the airport - yup, Jon's a food guy! The cooking crew had been making stuff since Wednesday night - reminder to myself that I owe Rich and Jon money, for sure! Some girl named Elizabeth from the Chinese Fellowship said hi to me as I went up the stairs in search of something - good to know these people that I only see sporadically!

Later, Citrus / Danielle / Vanessa / Daniel / Michelle / Erin / Ben / Cordia amused themselves with the DATING FOR DUMMIES box that Citrus and Danielle got Steph for Christmas. (and the cute penguins for bath time!) "What do you mean, you thought of ME when you saw it in the store?! Erin has an Ottawa-based boyfriend now, so maybe I should go there since that's where all the nice guys are! Hahaha." They had fun reading out various tips for flirting / empowerment mantras / tactful excuses - it was especially great when Steph tried doing those things as someone read them out! ("Eye contact is sexy! Don't give out your number if you don't want another date!") Went downstairs for gingerbread, and said hi to Tony. He gets the blunt end of the holidays, and said he was going to work and then to the Shabusen lunch - we think he's insane, even if it's what keeps him going! Said hi to the pastor's kids, who were busy checking out the picture board at the back - no, it isn't the Fellowship, but various members of the church as a whole. Gotta get to know them better! Daniel told Ben that he and Steph can be very intimidating since they're both OUT THERE - I agreed, and told Erin what Teresa's name was when she asked. Teresa said hi, and then asked whether Anita was 43! Um, no... she and Jeff are older than I am, but certainly not HER age!

Eventually, a bunch of us went to Dragon Ball: good times with Rich, Dylan, Mike, Christon, Sarah, Isabel, Julie, Jon, Eric (who met us there), Tony, and Ivan! We saw a picture on Jon's phone of a bowl full of chicken skins - EWW! Jon combined persimmon and mocha - Christon and I found that the mocha overpowered the persimmon. Talked about Harmony, work parties, Granville Island, Dallas, life, holiday plans, and more. Was crazy on the way home, and Jon joked that he was trapped in the car with a psychopath at the gas station - I don't know about his assessment! I said it was the little caffeine in the bubble tea I had consumed, but Eric just thought it was a sign of something else. Not really, but think what you want to... got home, and found that Elizabeth M. had added me on Facebook. Cool deal. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home