Monday, December 17, 2007

Goodbye, Grandma... you will be missed!

I am not a morning person, but I'm not going to complain about that - it's about the support! Besides, it didn't take that long to catch up on the important stuff when I did get home. Finally got my FLAMING HOT CHEETOS after a month of anticipation, yay! The memorial service went as expected; I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in some time: Sean (who's back till the 30th), Sam, Pastor Glen, Lillian, Kittie, Kingsley, Jin, Wah, Norman, Becky, and Eunice's parents. Spotted Uncle Allan at the burial service later on - man, I haven't seen Edwin's dad in a LONG time! Memories were shared, and the eulogy was pretty good... everyone paid their last respects by prayer or bowing, depending on faith. My grandma tried to get me to bow, which I had accidentally done at some other funeral years ago. I just looked at Grandma in the casket and prayed instead. The DVD slideshow of pictures from her life was nice, to be sure! Looking back at Cindy kinda caused me to sniff, but hey - it's FINE. (I might be less composed overall on the 29th for Justin's grandma's funeral...) Grandma was a woman with a great chuckle, so of course the cousins would do stupid things in the past few years to make her laugh. :D

While waiting for the burial service to start, I talked to Jon / Daniel / Sean / Nathan / Michelle / Joey / Joe / Becky / Cindy / Citrus / Erin / Darren / Alan. Nathan said that the eulogy was pretty touching, and he could tell that the cousin was trying to hold back emotion. Tears would be understandable (who would blame her?!), but it would also make the words harder to hear! Sean said that he heard from "his sources" that I have a boyfriend now - he and they would be right! Too bad Sean won't get to meet him! Nate's going through some pain issues related to stress / posture / other stuff... Jon suggested acupuncture, and said that the medicine you took with that tasted / smelled really bad! Michelle's finished her exams, and is glad she has a break! Joe and I hugged hello, and then I talked to Darren about yesterday's dinner - Erin says that her boyfriend is really calm, which balances her out pretty well, haha. Joked that Joe would revive his archaeological career in a bit after having enough of the pastorate at Lord's Love! (Jon says that one of his students is FREAKED OUT that he knows his pastor, haha! Ah, little kids...) Went to the washroom, where I talked briefly to Auntie Ena and Auntie Fonda - apparently, I should say hi to Uncle Kevin (Fonda's husband) since he's shy. Maybe, if he remembers who I am! If not, I'm sure Fonda will remind him! Hahaha. We had a weird route through the cemetery to the graveside, as it took us through two steep mini-hills... Michelle and Vanessa had to help me as far as going up / down them went. Oh well, I have a reason, and my friends will be there for me! (I don't encounter too many problems with my CP, but that's one of them!)

At the burial service, we sprinkled sand on the casket. I talked to my friends for a bit, too: Citrus said people had left video game night at 11:30, Daniel says that Michelle thought one of Melia's cousins was a funeral director ("why does she like talking to the funeral director so much?"), and Michelle mentioned that Joe W.'s dad and Daniel's dad go to the Silver Palace on Main (where lunch was) twice a day. Daniel loves the discount, haha. Jon mentioned the change jar(s) at Nathan's, which he can use for coffee when he goes over once a week or so! Michelle says there's one at her parents' place, too! Then the discussion turned to whether Isabel's room there was messy or neat, considering that she only HAS the one room at the house. She does have her own washroom, too - she rarely ventures upstairs since she cooks downstairs, and can use the mini-fridge. Jon asked Auntie Doris whether she'd seen her daughter's room there, and emerged with a difference of opinion. When I pass through there on the way to the downstairs washroom, it looks all right - but then, I live in chaos pretty much. Jon and I have similar philosophy: things are easier to find in clutter until you can't find them anymore! We found certain aspects of our discussion to be really funny (such as Jon's looking like a Mormon in his thin black jacket - his thick ones are really not appropriate colors for a funeral! - suit, and cellphone in his blue knapsack pocket!), so had to tone down our laughter at the graveside.

I shared a special memory with Phil and Grace, who came over to chat with us as the casket was being tamped over with dirt, and air pockets were being eliminated. There was the time last year that a bunch of people came over to carve pumpkins; I wasn't doing anything, so I sat with Grandma. Eventually, she reached over to hold my hand - that was sweet, since it did show that she remembered who I was. I always did ask how she was, especially when she did go to service! Wish I had a picture, but there will always be that memory burning in my heart! (okay, now I'm waxing metaphorical here... a clear sign I should stop!) Too bad I won't see them till after the New Year since they're going to Texas for two weeks!

Went to lunch, and Michelle and Mike both told me that my brother had been looking for me - I found him when he came in the restaurant. People thought I was somewhere else, but I was still there. Talked about Joe W. being the #1 origami guy in the world since the previous #1 had died - HE was an old guy, haha. Uncle Andrew shared memories of us as kids when he first came to our church: Joe Y. would always draw in Sunday School, and Daniel almost ran him over trying to get somewhere. Pastor John talked to me about Amacon and Richmond Committee meetings, and also appeared to have a good time talking to Uncle Andrew about China, ministry, EMAS, history, nervous breakdowns, family life, and more. Sean asked Joey how his crew was - his sister Emily doesn't need any more math tutoring by Uncle Danny (neither does he), Ivan's in design, and people are generally good. Told Sean that New York apparently had strawberry egg tarts, and honeydew egg tarts - so say Jon and Harmony, haha. Lots of jewelry stores, too - rich people will go there, for sure!

Our table laughed when Sean requested meat from the next table over, and wondered what Norman was doing since he appeared to be texting someone! Daniel actually DID text his brother, who was at that next table, which led to a "Nathan's right THERE!" reaction from his wife. Talked about funerals, Daniel's dad keeping busy (he had three days off recently and didn't know what to do!), Citrus' RCMP application, Steph's interview tomorrow, the time when Daniel's mom passed away, T&T, Daniel trying to "get rid of" his dad by telling Uncle Andrew to take him to China with them, Jon being able to use the desktop computer in Daniel's old room since his dad won't throw it away (BUTTONS!), Surrey losing employees today (Cindy / Daniel / Mike H. / others), and other such things. Laughed about memories of James and Sanne's older daughter Saskia, and remembered that they would take over Daniel and Michelle's place while they're here for Christmas vacation. (they have a baby daughter, Jenna) Vanessa then used Pig Latin when telling Daniel that something was stupid - so amusing!

The lunch went till 3, and I hugged Phil and Uncle Peter goodbye - Auntie Kathy also thanked me for coming; of course I would! Got home to a call from Eric's number - Diven thought I was drunk again when I messaged him on MSN to say that I'd known what he wanted. *rolleyes* Turns out he was still at Citrus' at 10 PM last night, so I assume that was his mom looking for him. Korey messaged me to say he loved and missed me, and wanted me to call later. I did, and he said he'd been surprised when Mom said hi to him. Well, he HAD reached out by saying hi first, haha. Let him know about my dad's idea of relationship advice over Pho: "Don't let him touch you, since you need to nip it in the bud!" He's just being a concerned parent, I guess! I also finally listened to the new voicemail prompt - interesting list there. ("work, out with the lady, not near the phone, etc.") Kinda reminds me of Cindy Yang's "I'm not here because I might be in the shower!" voicemail prompt, haha. I'll definitely call him later when he IS home instead of rambling while he's out with friends celebrating his birthday! Actually, he just called again to see if I'd just phoned him a couple minutes ago and left a voicemail - no, that wasn't me. :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home