Monday, October 29, 2007

Would YOU want to be named Apple or Maxim?!

Right now, I'm talking to Corey about unusual names. This came about because I told him what had happened this morning. I also dislike when I put my fingers on the wrong keys, resulting in a really indecipherable piece of writing! Did that just now, this morning, and last night too - I hope I'm not losing it!


(07:45:10 PM) Corey: Hester? people are actually named that? :P is she an old angry lady that kids are scared of? that's the image I get from that name :P
(07:49:56 PM) Flami: yes, people are named that... this is a Chinese lady around 40 or 45
(07:50:27 PM) Flami: as for kids being scared of her, I don't know
(07:52:00 PM) Flami: speaking of unusual names, one of the teens [Gabriel] at church has a friend named Agassi :P
(07:54:31 PM) Corey: well, if you're talking about Chinese people, Chinese people don't seem to have a good grasp on English names :P Jane knows someone that goes by the name "Apple," and apparently in Malaysia, lots of people use Madonna and pop star names and stupid stuff like that
(07:54:43 PM) Flami: yeah, I agree
(07:54:58 PM) Flami: a friend of mine used to know someone named Pinky - yes, she was Chinese
(07:55:10 PM) Corey: I don't see why they even use English names... everyone has an English name and a Chinese name... why don't they just have.... a name? :P
(07:56:11 PM) Corey: and Jane has an aunt that uses Jennifer and they think it's neat because Jane and Jennifer are almost the same! and the way they say it, it sort of is, but they say it wrong :P like, they think Jane is short for "Janeifer"
(07:56:51 PM) Corey: I told them that those were two totally different unrelated names, and they were surprised :P
(07:57:25 PM) Corey: no wait, it wasn't "Janeifer"... they said it "Jennifer" but thought Jane was more like "Jen".. that's it :P
(07:58:02 PM) Corey: Jane's real name is like "zhen zhen" which sounds a lot like "Jen Jen" which is why she uses Jane.. since it sounds pretty close
(07:59:09 PM) Corey: so anyway, the point is, even though these are Chinese people in Canada, they probably still haven't figured out English names yet :P and from some of the weirdass names of people you tell me, I'd say I'm right in at least some cases :P
(08:02:01 PM) Flami: In some cases, yeah... I do know that there was a guy who went to my school - he was named Zen. Someone else in this town is apparently named Zillion Wong. :P
(08:02:33 PM) Corey: it's like when I had Spanish or French or whatever in school, and everyone had to pick Spanish names, and half the class chose some weird name that probably isn't common at all in those countries
(08:03:24 PM) Flami: oh, yeah... I've heard of that happening before
(08:05:27 PM) Corey: I never got the point of that in language classes.... and in Japanese, they'll have some Japanese way to say any English name, and will not try to say it right... and stuff like names of countries being different in different languages... how does that even happen?? I don't see why names should be at all different between languages
(08:06:50 PM) Corey: if I make up a new language how do I name countries and people? :P do I just say "oh... I think I'll call that country Penisblop, and anyone named John... well, in this country we'll say Johnneria"
(08:09:41 PM) Flami: I remember a girl I used to know called Meloney, and a guy I used to know called Winson. Then there's the person on Harmony's Facebook friends list, who's named Wesmond. Oh, and my acquaintance's friend is named MAXIM - like the magazine. Then again, Stanley got his name from the park around here.. :P
(08:09:54 PM) Flami: I don't know about that...
(08:10:10 PM) Flami: speaking of names, there's this baby named Baron! What the..
(08:13:02 PM) Corey: that's a name I've heard before, so I think that's a real name.. just really uncommon
(08:13:31 PM) Corey: if you name your kid Baron, you have to give them "von" as a middle name :P
(08:13:41 PM) Flami: the people at the bad baby names forum would probably tear it apart.. and the kid's middle name is Ross


Here's a baby name generator I found at the bad baby names forum. You take a quiz, and it supposedly matches up with your tastes. I said I liked Summer, rock and alternative, vanilla and peppermint, key lime and cheesecake, blue and purple, and that I'm a Virgo. They gave me the following:

Girls: Arista, Auriel, Celestia, Cordelia, Ivory, Samantha, Sylvia, Tanya, Virginia
Boys: Camilo, Cassius, Dale, Henry, Horacio, Juan, Landon, Roger, Wolfgang
Unisex: Kelly, Quinn, Reagan

The only ones I like out of that list are Celestia (better as Celeste), Samantha, Tanya, Virginia, and Henry. Let's say that the others are okay to horrible!

What did you get?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home