Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wearing hotpants to worship, smashing guitars, beer memories

Before breakfast today, Eric broke Rule #6 (again?) by entering the room I shared with Steph (AFTER we got dressed, thanks! :P) and watching us get ready and pack our stuff away. By the time I got back from washing up, Eric / Steph / Karen / Jeremy / Ben / Christon / Anthony were having a discussion of what was "appropriate clothing for worship." There was another discussion like this just yesterday, about "looking pretty for the group photo even though we'll just be dots!" My sister joked that Eric should wear HOTPANTS to worship, and someone asked what those were: really short shorts that are definitely NOT appropriate for a church service setting!

At breakfast, the waffles were very tough to cut, and were hard to chew. Jeremy likened them to concrete, I cut around the edges even though it made me look kinda barbaric, and Steph said that this wasn't what she'd meant when she was praying for steak! Dylan said that we all had to be scattered around the room for the closing ceremonies, since it wouldn't look good for one big block of people to fall asleep! Christon and Jeremy had worn all the clothes they brought to the conference, and Citrus had taken a 45-minute nap. After breakfast, we all looked outside: it was POURING RAIN LIKE CRAZY, so we all ran / walked very quickly back to Douglas Hall and made transportation arrangements with various people for car rides to Northwest. (Steph amused some parents by acting like a pirate [she got an eyepatch from a company party] when she came to pick me and Vania up)

I kinda slept for a bit during the service, but not deeply. My sister asked Citrus how he'd slept last night... when he said he'd taken a 45-minute nap, she thought he'd napped during the service ("Citrus! That's bad!"): what he really meant was that he'd taken a 45-minute nap before breakfast, and that was all the sleep he'd had for the night! Good thing he lives like 20 minutes away from Trinity, so he can crash as soon as he gets home! Jeremy had the most sleep out of everyone: apparently, he'd gone to bed at midnight while everyone else was playing cards and such. After the service, the weather was improved in that it wasn't raining quite that hard. (prayer works!)

We had a LONG break between the end of service and lunch... Lesley said that she'd been hungry yesterday afternoon since there were only three hours between breakfast and lunch, but six between lunch and dinner. (she'd been running and played sports, too) She asked Jeremy about his new job and the Darfur thing: you don't have to understand much about the situation to know that there are atrocities going on in that area of the world! It's a good thing that he had his new job now rather than straight out of school: he's learned to deal with some things better now. I think that he should keep his name tag just for the Chinese characters which he can't read... I should have told him that, darn it! Speaking of name tags, Karen and Ben switched theirs around yesterday at some point.. yes, I noticed the name change! Then they decided to name Ben's shoes with the tags... good times!

I was hanging out with Ben, Anthony, Karen, and Vivian when my mom came up holding a pair of sunglasses. We identified them as Ben's, and called him over from where he was standing around holding his football. Anthony and Karen stretched their legs out onto each other's, and he was still wearing her Paris hoodie, which he couldn't read at first! Steph likened my dad's singing hymns to Frank Sinatra's, and called it "embarrassing"... Joey had wondered what happened to me and Jon when my mom had said something at the service about Steph doing work, so I joked that we were chopped liver. Then Jon came over and said that he had finally smashed his (old and broken) guitar, so we all went outside the music room to see. He and Nathan had been planning this for three years, and were originally going to do it at his brother Daniel's wedding: however, Michelle would have KILLED him! (Daniel approved of it, but Michelle wouldn't) Then they were going to do it at any number of other places and times, but things never seemed to work out... so Summer Conference 2006 it was! I think we should have been called outside when they were about to smash the instrument, but whatever...

When we went out there, there were guitar pieces on the concrete: we watched the video of the whole thing on Steph's phone, and saw pictures on Sam's phone... it looked like Jon, Jeremy, and Nathan had had fun. Steph said that Dad was watching the whole thing... he didn't say much, but just kinda frowned. Ivan decided to keep the end piece, and Nathan kept the bridge pegs since they'd be $10 each to buy. Dianne wondered why Jeremy wanted to keep a guitar string (the A string?), but since the string's as old as the guitar at his place with that broken string, there shouldn't be TOO much of a problem! Ivan then took some anger out on the pieces remaining on the ground: Christian boys don't really have an outlet for the anger, so this is as good as it gets! Ben dragged a garbage can over, and the mess was cleaned up presently. Lesley wandered by and we told her that she'd missed a SMASHING good time: there WERE the pieces in the garbage can as evidence if she didn't believe us, after all! I think she thought we were weird... oh well! ;)

At lunch, Eric said that he'd noticed my list of names and tallies: that's my memory aid, which worked brilliantly well! My ocean color scene notebook worked well as a Conference journal, too. Fidela came by and hugged Cindy goodbye: she also discussed Resonate with Jon, since it's starting this Friday. Eric and I are pretty sure that it isn't OUR Fellowship program, although Fidela says we're welcome to join in if we like... we'll see how that goes! She's going to Tacoma for a couple of days because her parents are friends with the Superchick dude's parents: a CHINESE guy fronting the Christian band?! Way cool! However, she wasn't looking forward to the car ride: so understandable! Jeremy said that the food people were trying to prove to us that the mashed potatoes weren't powdered by putting skins / lumps in with them... later, he sang the Oasis song WONDERWALL for a while, heh.

Jon combined coffee with lemonade, and coffee with the pink lemonade. The pink lemonade didn't look quite so garishly bright pink as it did on Friday night, phew! You could actually see through this batch, which had led to conspiracy theories about the drink on Friday! (I actually tried some of the stuff with coffee, and I could definitely taste the coffee!) Cindy wondered about the Neapolitan ice cream, which she called the "Napoleon" ice cream: Steph said she'd look the name origin up on Wikipedia at home later, and noticed that there were scalloped potatoes in the soup: more food recycling! (however, the soup was pretty good, and always a safe bet) We may still complain about the food, but as I told Vivian's aunt (Isabel's mom), it's still better than it was six years ago! Cindy also said that I was SAVED (not "rejected") from helping with the kids, since she wanted to attend the talks at Conference! Thank goodness for her that Sarah took that job on with her mom and sister Mary! She's not doing Awana next year because of her practicum, but Chrystal will be.. she can't wait, haha!

Fidela said that Jon might be all "led out" since he led worship for our conference side: someone said that was fine as long as he wasn't "all bled out," haha! He says he doesn't mind leading Resonate on Saturday: four-day breaks RULE! Eric bugged me about not finishing my peas as quickly as he'd have liked me to, dumping my melted ice cream on my plate, finishing said ice cream before my meal, and about my old glasses: as I told Jeremy and Jon, the ones I'm wearing now are over ten years old, but I have no choice! At least Eric got my tray for me when I was "finally" done eating, heh.

I was looking for Jon, since I'd go home with him. Eric was sitting with Christon and Jeremy on the couches waiting for Sheena so he could drive them home: when I came up, he told me to go squash Christon. Christon obviously didn't want me to, and I wouldn't do that anyhow! So Eric did so himself: I said that it worked better that way since Eric weighs more than I do! (then Eric asked if I was sure about that: pretty positive, yeah...) Eric drove his crew home, so I talked to Vania for a while about the conference until SHE went home too... at that point, I went back inside. Little Natalie and Nathan wanted me to play foosball with them, but I demurred. Jon came up and told them that their brother was still in the cafeteria, talking to Mike / Chris / Sam / other people. As we left campus, Jon realized that he'd forgotten to pay his banking fees, which were due on Thursday: damn, indeed!

On our way home, we spotted an elementary school mural that said "Home of the Cougars." Jon said that he had to get a picture of that since he and Fred have an inside joke about the older women who prey on younger men, so we detoured to do that. I told him that Steph and I had informed Mom about the "exchanging underwear" joke that he and Fred had told their female friend: of course Mom was horrified! They didn't expect the girl to believe them, however! There was this little girl riding her bike nearby on the sidewalk who let out a scream when Jon passed her in the car: he didn't hit her!

The weather was really sunny at that point, and Jon wanted to go to Ethical Addictions: a fair-trade coffee shop that Tally had told him about since she lives around there. Every time he's in Langley, he goes there: quite a neat place since they also have books and stuff to peruse. After that, Jon realized he'd forgotten to get gas, so we undertook that responsibility. Then he said that he was going to the Yaletown Brewery tonight with Jeremy (who else likes beer in the fellowship?!)... I'd go since I actually feel fine and not THAT sleepy, but I wouldn't know how to get there (fairly close to a Skytrain station, although I was thinking of Steamworks when I said that).

He's busing there at an undetermined time ("that changes everything for you, haha") because he really doesn't want to drive when he's had a few pints in him. Very responsible, and I like that. I remembered the time that he, Jeremy, and I went to Steamworks after worship practice in December: we missed the bus to my place by five minutes, so he walked me home since we didn't want to wait an hour! Then he chilled for a bit and then went to the bus stop near my place. He just barely caught THAT bus home, but it was a good thing he did: Steph would NOT have been impressed if he'd called her at 1:15 AM wanting a ride home!

Now Corey's telling me about watching a video on hitting yourself in the head with large pieces of metal and punching yourself in the balls and hanging / lifting weights from a certain protruding body part to increase sexual powers. This is some video that he downloaded about secret qi powers, and Jane says she's heard about all this stuff. The gross factor of that aside, Corey thinks all these people have brain damage! Pulling a truck with the aforementioned body part by hitting each other in the stomach to transfer truck-pulling energy to the pulling people... is not going to work! o_O

Now I'm off to catch up on two days of my friends list: I hope it won't be too time-consuming! Comments can PROBABLY wait till tomorrow, but you never know with me! Even though I feel okay now (yet wanted to sleep in the car on the way home), I might still set a new sleep record when I finally DO go to bed. We'll see... hey, Spoz has finally added me to his Audioscrobbler friends! Cool stuff!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home