Friday, July 28, 2006

Friday Five on names

Yeah, I know I probably update too much when I should probably be trying to sleep. But if I try sleeping now, then I might very well REALLY oversleep... not good! Besides, I'm making up for the lack of posts which will be apparent over this weekend, so you should be happy! (... yeah, I dunno how that works either... shut up, I've only had like 4 hours of sleep!)


Friday Five on Names

1. Are you named after anyone? If so, explain. Yes, sort of. My mom thought it would be a good idea to name me Leslie, even after her brother married someone with the same name! She kinda liked the name already before that, to be fair. But still... that shows a seeming lack of creativity / imagination on her part, I sometimes think.


2. Do you have your children's names picked out already? If so, is there any significance? Yeah, I do to a certain extent. Tatiana, since I like the story of the Romanov duchesses and all that Russian stuff... I knew two sisters named Henrieta and Kristina Paukov in high school, and met their younger sister Tatiana and younger brother Laci at the public pool once.

Sebastian, since I once met this kid with that name in elementary school, and liked the name. James, since it seems to be a classic, and I like those. Roanna, since I knew someone with that name a LONG time ago, and liked it. (same with her siblings' names: Gloria, Nina, Kent, and Vicson!) As for the other names that show up on my "names for future kids" lists, I dunno...


3. If you were born a member of the opposite sex, what would your name have been? See Question #1. Although I'm glad I wasn't a boy, as I *did* meet a guy with the same name as me (first and last name) in Gr. 8 when I went to junior high school...


4. If you could re-name yourself, what name would you pick and why? I dunno... too much choice. Maybe Tatiana, as above. It would be something different, and people wouldn't misspell it all the time to have me confused with someone else whom I am ambivalent about / might not like too much at times. (see below)


5. Are there any mispronunciations / typos that people do with your name constantly? I know my sister hates it when people pronounce my name "LEZ-lee" rather than "LES-lee," but there's nothing I can do about it except maybe glare at the people! (however, don't get me started on people who think it's perfectly fine to call me "Lez" as a nickname... I'm NOT A FRIGGING LESBIAN! :P) Oh, and I also hate it when people misspell my name as "Lesley," especially if they're from church. I am NOT the other person with a similar name and don't wish to be confused with her, thanks! I am ME, MY OWN PERSON, and NOT HER! SHEESH! (at least we got the spelling out of the way with Jesse when we were re-introduced to him last month or so!)

Oh, and don't get into what people do to my last name. It's true that it's only two letters long, but I think what throws people is the fact that it doesn't have any vowels. ;) But really... it should be fairly easy to pronounce, seeing as the city IS teeming with Asian folk! :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home