Friday, July 28, 2006

He's not even eight years old, and he has eight crushes... Ivan, your brother's a PLAYER!

I want to do a "day update" for Summer Conference, even though I wasn't online on the weekend... you apparently needed a password for accessing the Internet there, according to some people I talked to. So I'll just update as usual, then edit the timestamps to make it seem like I was "live on location in Langley." If I just did one update covering the entire weekend, it would be way too long and no one would want to read it even WITH a cut (assuming this thing has a readership :P)... trust me. These entries are also likely to have a zillion tags, but that's just me being OCDL... there's NO WAY that I can contain the sheer fullness of each day with just a few lines of tag space! :P


On Friday afternoon before I met Auntie Ruby at her office, I went for an eye exam. Good thing I scheduled it for 2 instead of 3 since it took longer than I expected! (yellow eyedrops and such) I also decided to get some shopping done: I bought Benny's and Mike's baptism cards (I didn't get Anthony's since I figured I didn't know him well enough... but will later since I kinda do now!), some felts, Benny's farewell card, a Bathroom Reader for Fidela (#15!), some Cadbury Thins and Fruit-To-Go (no time for lunch), and a bunch of stickers with facts on the back. Once we were on the way to Summer Conference, I talked to Audrey for a while (and consumed for mini egg tarts) before falling asleep. (remember, I'd had like 4 hours of sleep before inexplicably waking up at 5:45 AM) I woke up on the road to Trinity, and we found the building we were supposed to register at within half an hour.

On the way to that building, we met Dylan, who asked me whether I knew why we couldn't get into Fraser Hall like last year. (besides the music conference being held at the same time) I said that he could ask my sister since she was on the planning committee... or that he could ask my mother if he was feeling especially brave! He decided that he'd rather ask my brother or sister rather than face my mom again! (with good reason... ah, Jon's guitar!) I got settled in fairly quickly, with a few minutes to spare before dinner. In the dinner lineup, I playfully punched Mike as a way of saying hello.. he complained about that, and asked why everyone wanted to do that to him! Cindy and Terry were also commiserating about their August birthdays... reduced chances of recognition by school / work people! I'll have to get Terry's birthday card REALLY soon, since it's on the same day as the baptism! (the 13th) Steph had said she'd help me with my meal trays before Conference, and she delivered on that promise! (thank goodness!) That led to some teasing about how much she ate, since she was carrying two meals on one tray.

We decided to sit outside for dinner, and people started criticizing the food. It WAS kinda mediocre, but better than six years ago! I told Jeremy about Jon getting pizza for us, and Cindy said that Jackie had brought Kernels popcorn last year. This year, people had brought Orville Redenbacher popcorn and jelly beans as part of their snackage! The tea was kinda salty, the potatoes were powdered, and the water was cut with lemons so that we wouldn't notice the "tap water" taste. We also talked about how kids thought you were really young / old (six, eight, 99, or 100?) because they don't have the perspective yet. One of Cindy's students encountered her while out shopping: "Huh?! You.. shop?!" Cindy told the kid that she was out with her mother, which got this response: "You have a mom? Your mom, dad, brother, and sister are ALIVE?!" Hahaha, good times!

Someone suggested boiling the water, and someone else asked who would do THAT... Cindy would! (she says she's addicted to water) I asked Christon how the fireworks had been on Wednesday, and he said they were fine. After a while, we realized that we were into our "travel time" to get to the opening ceremonies, so we all left. (the worship team all abandoned Ben, poor guy!) The building for our conference sessions had been painted over last year (according to Joe): it looked REALLY psychedelic with bright orange, blue, green, yellow, and other colors! Steph had master keys, which helped the people who had stubborn keys, or who were locked out. We discovered that one of the guys had switched the signs on the girls and boys washrooms, so the signs were switched back. The opening ceremony went well, heh... then we all had muffins and such for a snack!

Jeremy and Jon said that their hypothetical beer company would be called "Raw Dog Brewing," which makes perfect sense. I talked to Chrystal about her new job, and Citrus said that his family didn't go to Conference this year. We noted some Chinese characters on Jeremy's name tag, and wondered what it meant... apparently, it was the Chinese phonetic equivalent of his name! Jon combined coffee and pink lemonade: when he showed Mom, she was horrified, haha. Chrystal, Eric, and I met a new person: Thomas' parents are friends with Vania's parents, and he kept calling Vania by the wrong name! (like "Wendy")

Eric wondered about my glasses, since of course he knew that those weren't my normal ones. Steph and I told him what had happened: she was relieved that I hadn't called her at 5:45 AM panicking about missing Summer Conference, haha. Then I noticed Eric telling little Nathan something, so we went to see what was up. Nathan didn't want his wrist bone, since he said it hurt. He hadn't fallen down, but it was still sore. Then his sister Natalie came up to us and (much to Nathan's consternation) told us that Nathan had EIGHT crushes! Eric asked me how old he was: when I said that he was six, Eric responded: "Man! You're not even eight, and you have eight crushes! You're a mack, hahaha!" (not that they know what that means - or who Kelly Kapowski is - but it's true!)

Then the two siblings made us guess all eight names: Ashley, Priscilla, April, and others. I asked whether Nathan just saw them and had crushes on them... yes, apparently! (I told Eric that they were Ivan's little siblings: quite an age gap!) After that, we went back to our building / outside for some basketball / card games (Big Two and Bum) / showers / quiet time. (Jon said that Justin wanted to go to Montana's, and he'd go just for the companionship, but I don't think they ended up going) Chrystal said that she had a bad sense of direction (I do too, especially when it's DARK outside!), and had liked living on her own in Korea. Steph mistook my bra for underwear, told me that she'd heard of the 24-hour Blog-A-Thon (every half an hour with no postdating allowed) on the Canucks blog, and said that people were also watching THE INCREDIBLES in the lounge: I just read a bit and slept early!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home