Thursday, July 27, 2006

It looks like I'll have to get new glasses...

Earlier tonight, the right arm of my glasses decided to come off. Luckily the mall was still open, so I decided to hop the bus for a quick trip to Iris (the eyeglasses place) to see what could be done about it. The short answer turned out to be nothing since the spring inside had broken (and they didn't have any temples that would fit anyhow)... unless I had crazy glue for a temporary fix, which I don't. However, the person working there did give me some useful information: since my prescription is fairly high, there's a good chance I'd still be covered for the eye exam cost under MSP. (more chance of the retina detaching from the eyeball?!) These glasses are over five years old (and that place didn't have my file anymore because of this), so the coating's started to come off in places ("a slick look").

Since I need them to see properly, they obviously have more wear and tear on them than a pair of (for example) a pair of glasses used only while driving. Apparently, five years or more is a long time for the average pair of glasses to last... and people should really get new eye exams every couple of years because the prescription could change, and the optometrist might need to build people up to their new needs. (the brain's too used to interpreting edges as fuzzy, so the new sharp / clear / crisp edges is too much for it to process) At least I've treated my glasses better (?) since they're more important to me!

After that, I thought of going out to eat at Milestones, but decided to save my money and go home sooner rather than later: very important in this new reality! Since I'm a considerate person and know that my mom's probably dealing with a LOT of last-minute Summer Conference stuff, I decided to Google the name / phone number of Dr. Thomas Lau (my mom saw him for her eyes a while back). I wasn't successful on my first try, but tried again with slightly different search terms: found it on YellowPages Canada! Of course, what Google CAN'T tell me is whether my mom still sees him... oh well, I'll call her later. I'll call the eye doctor tomorrow if I have time... if not, Monday will have to do.

I wish this had happened after Summer Conference. Not that I'm shallow / vain or anything, but I'd have preferred to wear the glasses that finally seemed to give up the ghost tonight! Meeting a bunch of new people from the Richmond church with the REALLY old ones that I had like ten years ago?! Aiyoh!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home