Saturday, October 18, 2003

Me being a sleepy web monkey...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CEROWYN.. I hope you have an awesome one today! :) It's been great getting to know you.. thanks for all your support and information, hon. Means more to me than you will ever know, perhaps.. true friendship rules!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMILY.. I hope you have a good one today! :) I've lost your number and address in a database crash, so can't call or mail you. It's been good knowing you all these years, and I hope we continue to be friends.

me so sleepy, but me give web update anyhow..
why? coz I'm such a web monkey!
but me check email later; me nap first..
(there's my attempt at writing like Spoz :P)

the Awana Conference was pretty good..
got free stuff and our yearly update..
learned lots of helpful tips..
especially the five love languages..
words of affirmation or compliments..
quality / quantity time with people you love..
giving gifts to people.. (doesn't have to cost money)
service for other people you love..
and physical touch.. (powerful and secure)

had a good time with my friends at workshops..
David and I agreed on one thing, though..
once we got home, we would definitely sleep!
(which I will do as soon as I update this thing)
I'm going to stick myself with pins later on..
right now, I'm outta here.. stay tuned in future! ;)


One of the workshops focused on telling the people in your life that you love them, or the five love languages: words of affirmation, quality time, giving gifts, service, and physical touch. I'm not sure what my love language is (or indeed some of the other people in my life), but it's always good to learn about things like that. Maybe I should get that book, since I know Sarah made Vernon read it.. although I'm not in a relationship now, it may be handy for the future! (yes, I know I'm in one now!)

This is what I learned from that workshop, so that's why certain things are phrased as an imperative. These things don't apply only to Awana, but I feel they can be applied to everyone.

Words of affirmation or compliments can be an encouragement, and can build a strong / secure / safe relationship. They fulfill an emotional need, they allow you to love and to be loved, they're a main element in life, they can build intimacy between you and your friends, they can heal wounds, and they can make other people feel like they belong. If you're uncomfortable with receiving compliments, that may not be your love language.. but you should be gracious in receiving them, or at least not act all squirmy and uncomfortable. ;)

Quality time is time devoted to the important people in your life, spent in joint and meaningful activities. Quantity time builds relationships. Both these things deepen memories and relationships with time and care.

Giving gifts shows you remember the person, even if you do it for no specific reason. They're a way of showing that you care, and value the relationship that you have with the other person. For the cheap people among us, they don't have to cost a lot of money, or even any money at all. They can be as simple as a drawing, or an inexpensive gift from the dollar store.

Service for other people can be as simple as doing things for other people without being asked. The acts of service should be freely given, received, and accepted. It expresses love for the other person in your life, and shows you care for their needs.

Physical touch can be as simple as a tap on the shoulder, or a hug. (even a tousle of hair) It's very powerful, and can make or break a relationship. Touch can represent security, and may be the only form of love that some clubbers (or others in your life) get all week / month. Of course, if certain people in your life are uncomfortable with it.. then you shouldn't push it, since that might not be the way they're most comfortable expressing love. (and you should probably find another way to do so that's more comfortable for them)


Quite a reminder for everyone, aye? ;)

Note to self: Be of good cheer tomorrow!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home