Monday, November 22, 2010

Birthday dinner, part two: Mussels, brick walls, and Teunis not being Toonie!

Jon and the parents picked me up at 6:45 as advertised for dinner, and we looked at some of my parents' trip photos from Italy and Egypt, while Grandma was decidedly NOT impressed with the meal or the ambience! She didn't understand why we'd be looking at a brick wall, for instance. We discussed Chinese Eric, his mother, Citrus, that Mexican fire, Teunis (whom my mother thinks would be a good match for me once my sister said he was a POSITIVE influence in my life - JOLLY MAN!), the mice at my place, Nathan, Lisa going to school in Nanaimo soon, and other things. Learned that my parents would be going away in December, but only for four days... Grandma will be in the respite centre for eight days, however. We had mussels, steak, paella, lamb, and other stuff for dinner while discussing Nathan / some news / desserts / Pastor John's farewell lunch!

When we had coffee, Harmony thought I'd be up all night - that's fine if I have a complicated email to answer! By the time we left the restaurant, we switched cars for some reason, so I was going to be nice and give my grandma the heated front seat in the Subaru. My mom wondered why Grandma was sitting in the front seat, and banished her to the back seat with me! I didn't explain myself since I didn't want to aggravate her at all! On the way home, my mom called Teunis "Toonie," wondered whether he was a Christian, and ask whether he'd gone to our church - yes, a few times. No, he doesn't mind going there, although I knew enough NOT to say why! (the general sense of welcoming community, for example) All I volunteered was that he still lives in Surrey (knowing enough NOT to mention that he was living at my place for six weeks out of ten in the summer), and the spelling of his Dutch name. We saw a funny snowman with a Canada flag, anyway. Also to be polite, I thanked my dad for dinner AND the ride.

My mom got me some chicken Sidekicks (Jon and I thought she was talking about cake that you microwave, due to her accent), some jalapeno cheese slices, a red Skagway (Alaska) T-shirt from the cruise ship gift shop, a red vest with stars and hearts, a brown hooded sweater with a random design, and some Dutch black licorice. Yes, I thanked her for it in my usual blunt manner! Steph said she might get some spicy Cheetos from the States for me, as well. I'm happy to be home, at least!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home