Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spooky things, vegetarians, cutting open a pregnant woman's belly to get a baby

I talked a bit to my grandma this morning in the car on the way to church. She gave me a lucky red envelope for my birthday, and it contained $50, more than what I was expecting! Grandma said that Steph had shown up at the Walkathon, which is what I'd heard from John yesterday. (Dad later said that she'd dropped by for about 45 minutes) Mom asked who was on parkade duty when we got there - luckily, Dad knew, because it was RAYMOND. At least he put his money where his mouth was, and volunteered himself for it! (and asked the Fellowship to help out too - I felt like heckling him)

Saw Helen K. and baby Cory in the elevator at the parkade after greeting Alysia, which was cool. Sat by Jeremy, who was discussing beer with Jon - apparently, a big Labor Day sale had the effect of making furniture deliveries that much busier. It had been a couple Sundays since he'd been at church, but a busy work schedule and family trips will do that. I liked how the Walkathon was still being advertised in the bulletin as an "upcoming event," although it happened yesterday! Noticed Auntie Brenda almost push past a couple of people to take a seat near them - nice, nice. (turns out she knows them, and they know Richie!) Resolved to not become too much like my mom, but we shall see.

Saw Elaine and Matt, just back from New Hampshire - they leave for China tomorrow, actually! Of course they need an extended support network, so I'll continue praying for them. Talked to Jason H. for two minutes about his cousin Erin's wedding, plus an Alaska cruise that he was going on later - always nice to see him around, especially since he lives in Edmonton! Hailed Eric from a few feet away, and asked if he'd seen a certain Evite reply - it was obvious from the big grin on my face whose reply I was referring to, hahaha. I know, it's not nice to gloat or whatever, but it's a bit of joy. Eric joked that he'd tell a certain person about it, but he probably won't. I didn't even bother to check where he was or keep my voice below simmering NG level, haha!

Baby Mattias was crying and wanted his grandpa's jacket, so I distracted him with my shiny keys. However, I wasn't letting him hold onto them since he had sticky hands from food and drool. His mom Karen said he'd throw them on the floor if he ever got a hold on them - sounds like what babies do with food and stuff, all right! Talked to Andrea, Jeremy, and Jen about my birthday party too. Andrea asked me about Saturday's lunch - I can't make it anymore, and I'm not going to the lecture as 9:30 AM is a bit early for me! Oh well, at least it's good that I don't need to change plans with Henry!

Confirmed with Jon what time to go over to his place later (5-ish with Sunday Canada Line schedules?), then asked Andrew what he'd do for his birthday. Booking off four days in a row for possible party plans sounds cool to me! Got distracted by the sound of loud crying in the foyer, so went outside to discover that it was Billy's son Noah, who really wanted his mom! Went back inside to talk to Hien for a bit, then grabbed some watermelon and some shortbread cookies. Said hi to Helen C.'s kids Nathaniel and Abigail - Nathaniel hid his face from me with a yellow balloon. That wasn't working as well as he thought, I told him! I can still see you, haha - how cute!

Went upstairs to help with the toddlers RIGHT before my dad yelled at everyone to go into the fellowship hall since it was Sunday School time - the setting up hadn't even been halfway done, haha. Auntie Ying wanted me to actively help her, so I tried my best, knowing that she was a first-time teacher. Rachel's grandma was there as well, and now I finally know her Chinese name. Not that I would call her by it, but it's fine. Amos, Anne (who talked to me), Conor (really rambunctious), Esther, David (crying a lot because Conor hit him and we didn't see it), and Evelyn were all there. Asked various parents what their kids' last names were, since I thought it would be nice to know for the attendance sheet that I now have custody of. It might be an idea to do something to recognize the kids' birthdays as well, so I'll get on that next week if I remember! The kids talked about ghosts, spooky things (do they know Halloween is coming up?!), tickling me, sheets, and other stuff - cute!

After that, I went downstairs to see what was going on in the fellowship hall. Jon and Jeremy were talking to these two girls Sarah and Caroline, and Ivan joined the group later. He told us that Joe is reportedly engaged - good! Discussed pharmacy degrees, lunch plans, reasons for being vegetarian (Caroline is one), and other things. Dad came and got me later, and Jon said he'd join us for lunch at Tsui Woo. Yup, we got that forwarded email from Steph: Polly had emailed my mom asking if they could resume eating a meal there before Fellowship meetings, and Steph was laughing her head off. HAHAHAHAHA, they ARE obsessed with it! Said bye to Darren and a few other people first, of course. Ivan's brother was apparently the elevator doorman, heh.

I asked Mom what she was doing later, and she said she had to go home and call Grandma's sister in Hong Kong to try arranging a visit in early October. She thinks I would remember my "cousin" Eric, who visited while we were still in the house on Rosehill - nope, I don't! Dad said that his and Mom's trip to Hong Kong for Gordon's wedding is pre-Christmas and New Year's... I'd had visions of a holiday season without them, but I suppose this is fine too. Discussed Dylan's wedding briefly, plus the difference between the two forms of "wife" that we know of.

Then someone brought up an interesting Hong Kong news item: this woman with mental problems really wanted a child, so she befriended this pregnant woman. When the baby was almost due, she cut the woman's stomach open so she could have the child! The husband came home soon afterwards and took his wife to the hospital - they lost the baby, but the wife survived. I said that I'd read about similar cases, but they always involved the person taking the baby after it was born, and not before! Dad said that babies can't even breathe until after it passes through the vagina - while he was terming that "God's magic button," I was musing that it was the first time I'd ever heard him say the V-word!

Stopped by Jon's place briefly so the parents and Grandma could see it in its more-or-less finished form. Jon and I entertained ourselves by telling Grandma that we didn't know various things which we SHOULD, and Jon brought out a picture of Jeremy with a redhead wig and beard. "So much hair!" was her reaction, haha... we told her that it was Wu-So-Lo, as well. Mom attempted to check her email from Jon's laptop, but wasn't having much success using the touchpad - I bet it was her first experience with one, so that was cute!

She was also a bit nosy and looked at photos and a notebook that were around - not even *I* am that curious, man! Then she told Jon that he shouldn't have so many tabs open on his computer, and blamed that for her not being able to get into Hotmail - um, no. The site itself can be finicky, from what I understand. Since the parents wanted to leave at around 3, I decided just to stay here since I'd have to leave at 5 anyway from Richmond. Not too bad now, but might as well save the trip. Jon went out with Phyllis for coffee, and bantered on the phone with Christon too. (who's just come over) Always good, for sure! Briefly talked to Dallas by phone when he called the house, and confirmed that he's coming on Thursday, or that's what he said anyway.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home