Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"My mom just called me a cougar!" AKA "We know what he is, but we're not gonna tell you!"

Grandma treated us to a dim sum lunch at the Gala Seafood Restaurant near Richmond Sushi and Supermarket 2000. Jon and I had amusing fun dipping various food items into the little sauce dish that was provided - Chinese desserts and gai lan (vegetables) with horseradish mustard and red chili sauce, anyone? We weren't suffering at all, and it was cool to freak out both Mom and Grandma with our silliness, haha. The strong tea was pretty good, too. Talked about the CUPE strike - Auntie Cathy's on strike since she works at the Vancouver library, and the garbage situation in Vancouver proper is apparently getting pretty bad! ("bring your garbage home with you from the fireworks!") Jon had heard about the Burnaby oil spill from the Toronto Star, and was surprised when I told him that there was a Youtube video of the incident! He said that New York dim sum wasn't too bad, and that his chopstick skills were all right compared to Harmony's and her friend's!

Grandma was a bit abrupt and dropped a chicken rice wrap on my plate, scattering my chicken bones everywhere - thanks, but I'll get it myself! She asked whether my boyfriend came over or whether we'd gone somewhere last night: we had to tell her that he lives in Kamloops, heh. (Dad was surprised that she knew - all she knows is the basic fact that I have one, haha) Then she asked whether he was white or Chinese, so my brother and I were like "Um..." while giving each other a look - that apparently made her think that I didn't know his ethnicity! We do, but we're just not going to tell you! We'll just say he's white for now, although she'll get a surprise on the day after Hon's wedding! (or even before - we'll see what happens!) She thought we met through the computer, but we told her that K was gwei jie's (Eric) good friend.

Surprise of the day: Mom knows what a cougar is! (the older women who prey on younger men) We were talking about Stone Cold Steve Austin and the OLD Austin 3:16 joke involving Jake "The Snake" Roberts in 1996. ("I just whooped your ass!") This is after Jon and I told Mom that Austin was also a city in Texas (where Grace's family is from), and reminded her that her "favorite" movie is Austin Powers, haha. For some reason, Mom decided to call me a cougar since K is four years younger than I am - that certainly surprised me and Jon! Jon jokes about it with Harmony, but we didn't think Mom knew the slang sense of the word. ("she thinks we're talking about literal cougars, haha") Apparently, Steph told her what one was! Jon's friend Edwin is going out with this 30-year-old woman named Jane, which technically COULD make her a cougar too because Edwin is 26. You wouldn't know that she's my age since she's tiny! I only saw her at Phil and Grace's wedding banquet when I said hi to the "extremely air conditioned" table in a corner consisting of her, Edwin, Brian, Amy, Eunice, Eddie, Dave, Alan, and a few others. Jon himself doesn't know her very well, either. Karen Grace would probably know her better, being Edwin's little sister and all... but that was pretty amusing! You have to imagine my mom suddenly pointing at me and saying "You are a COUGAR!" Hahaha!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

babe i need a website where i can play games help me!!! and it cant be flash games or a game site where you have to log in help me lol....
give me a few ideas

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 1:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Flami said...

Korey, you do realize there are like 900 billion computer games out there?! :P

That bored at work, are ya? Let's see what I can offer you besides the common Freecell / (Spider) Solitaire / Backgammon / Hearts... which don't come on a website anyhow. Most online games are Flash-based, you realize.

Um.... try Home of the Underdogs for starters. Not sure if you can download that stuff at work, but it's pretty legal. :P

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 8:40:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home