Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You have good phone timing!

My mom wanted me to go over to the townhouse because they were going to take Dallas to the airport, but I balked initially because of the previous phone plans I'd made with K. Eventually, she said that I could give him their phone number: fine by me, so I left him a message with that info. Dad thinks I need to learn cooking for two, while Mom insists I need to learn cooking in general - probably, and she thinks putting eggs in noodles for protein is a good idea also. Turns out Dallas had given my parents some kimchi, miso, olive oil, and relish... I got everything except the olive oil, and must remember to give Dallas' kimchi container back to him sometime after he gets back.

Said hi to Grandma - I told her that I had a boyfriend, but didn't get into the fact that he's half-black, half-Spanish: she's known for making a LOT of (snobby) comments on things, especially people not from her cultural background because she doesn't understand. I'm not saying she's racist, but her comments can be off-putting! All she said about that was "you're a very good girl" (she's been wanting me to get a boyfriend for YEARS now), asked whether he was calling me now (yes), and wanted to know if he was from church... also a yes. I don't think I'll show her any pictures of him anytime soon... she can wait till the weekend he gets here, haha. At least if she makes comments, he won't understand because we'll probably refuse to translate! (heh) K had good phone timing, calling JUST as my mom finished leaving some long voicemail message with an auntie about Uncle Sam's mom. Gotta love that! :D


Edit: Told Jon about Grandma's yum cha offer, and talked to him about Central Park (confusing but fun) / delayed train rides two hours either way / Dallas' extra food / Harmony / Sean / Hon's wedding. Good times!


Two amusing exchanges, and a few WTH moments:

1. Mom to me: "Why are you going to the bathroom?"
Me: ".... why do you THINK people would go?!"
Mom: "Pee or poo?"
Me: *refuses to answer that, and closes the bathroom door on that question*

2. Mom: "Here, put Stephanie's stingy underwear in her room!"
Me, thinking she's confused "stinky" for "stingy" again: "It's not stinky if it's just been through the laundry."
Mom: "I'm not saying it smells... it's just SMALL!"
Me: "....."

3. Mom: "Do you want some Vijay?"
Me: "... what do you mean?"
Mom: "The thing I put in the fridge!" (I now know she means the V-8 that I put in the fridge for her earlier)
Me: "You mean V-8, Mom."
Mom: "Really?"
Me: "Yes - Vijay is... something else." (I don't think she'd understand that Vijay Singh is a good golfer, or that Vijay Chandra is the 96.9 JACK FM engineer with a bunch of hilarious commercials... some of them are on YouTube, apparently!)

4. Mom, repeatedly: "Remember that the cereal doesn't go in the fridge! Remember to give Dallas' container back to him, and put the other stuff in the fridge! Did you remember what I said two minutes ago?!"
Me: *keeps thoughts of "Am I a THREE-YEAR-OLD?!" to myself*

6. Mom, to Jon: "So where does Harmony's friend live in New York?"
Jon: *gives a location*
Mom: "And she rents a three-bedroom apartment for ONE person?!"
Jon: "... she has ROOMMATES, Mom..."
Mom: "Oh. Well, I didn't know!"

7. Mom: "Did you see Sean?"
Jon: "No, I forgot he was in town. But he'll be here for Hon's wedding soon!"
Me: "Yeah... it's the weekend after next!"
Mom: "How do you know? Were you invited?"
Me: "No... but I do know when it is!"
Jon: "That's because you're nosy!"
Me: "Maybe, but I've heard you talking about it anyhow!"

8. Mom: "This is the third time in two days that I've been at the airport. Same for you and Dad!"
Me: "Uh... I've been at the airport twice in two days. Dad's only been at the airport twice today."
Mom: "But it can work if I say that Dad's been at the airport twice in two days!"
Me: "Um.... never mind." *not wanting to explain how that really WOULDN'T work because it IS NOT CORRECT!*

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home