Sunday, September 17, 2006

"Why are we lighting candles in the church if it's a fire hazard?!"

I forgot to say that my siblings bugged my dad during lunch by singing a bunch of the songs that were playing in the restaurant: Backstreet Boys, Lou Bega, and other songs from YEARS ago! He didn't like it, but that's par for the course. Mom thinks everything is horrible, even early Sarah McLachlan! Steph said that her friend Kate (who loves the Backstreet Boys even now) took her boyfriend to a BSB concert and he felt really old, haha. She used to bug Jon a lot in her high school days by coming over and playing BSB and other such stuff... good times!

We picked Eric up at about 5:30 and listened to Jon talk to Jeremy about IPA / Tim's dessert night for a while. He also interspersed that with conversation about the merits of the three daily papers (SUN / PROVINCE / NATIONAL POST) and the sports sections. When we got to church, we quickly sat at a table with Randal / Chung / Karen / Christon / Dylan / Lesley and others. We talked about our dinner courses of ox tongue or ham, Tuesday, Chung wishing me a happy birthday and my age, Randal wearing a tie, Michelle's new name for Nathan's transition group (the DENIAL Fellowship coz they're all in denial!), the weekend, those weekender dinners, Dallas being busy mid-week, and a bunch of other stuff. I thanked Danielle and Citrus for their card, and mentioned that I'd heard about Citrus' birthday celebration this Saturday. Danielle said that I'd been on the list for her Evite, and she'd send it to me again. (Jon said he'd forward it to me, but it's better to have a backup, like I told Auntie Rebecca when she went around to our table and wished me a happy birthday)

I went to Teresa's table and told her that I wished her daughter Evelyn a happy birthday. No, I didn't see her today since she's been promoted to the next class up from the toddlers. She asked how I remembered, so I told her that Evelyn's birthday was the day after mine, which is what I'd tell her on any other day. (no special advertising for me!) Then she thought for a moment and deduced that my birthday was today, so she wished me a happy birthday! (hers is three days after my brother's, but the same year as me) Then we went upstairs for the program right before Jon left for the dessert night: Melia asked me whether Henry was a good driver, so I said yes. (he is!) Melia and I asked Andrew whether he liked Awana, and he said it was cool. He thanked me for the birthday card (his brother thanked me earlier): he really liked it, as did I when I saw it in the store. It's shaped like a rootbeer float with a straw, and wishes the recipient a happy 16th birthday. (I included double stickers!)

Angus and I talked for a bit (he'd wished me a happy birthday this morning), and then we played musical chairs with Melia since SOMEONE couldn't make up his mind on where to sit! Once we figured that out, both Melia and I had to go to the washroom, so Angus had to let us through anyhow! I saw Karen Choo downstairs and thanked her for calling me back... that was actually something I did need, heh. Ivan was trying to translate his mom's Chinese, but couldn't really keep up. They made the Deacon Board sing a hymn in English / Chinese / Mandarin, made the Mandarin congregation committee do the same with Psalm 23, made the ESCC do charades on service activities (the charade for "Fellowship" made people think about emergencies, haha), and made the CSCC use certain words / characteristics to describe the congregation. (unfortunately, translation wasn't available since they made up some concepts / words, and Ivan couldn't look those up on his mom's cheat sheet!)

Then everyone got into the fun because we had to build tall sturdy buildings using tape, string, an ice cream bucket, toilet paper rolls, and scissors. The building that my team made was in the finalists: Auntie Allyn had done this kind of team-building exercise before at work, so blew on our building to make sure it stood the wind test. That was a good thing since the judges blew wind on the straightest / sturdiest towers by using the church fan! (the prizes consisted of chocolate bars) After that, we had to light candles and sing one last song: Citrus, Danielle, and I made up fire scenarios in the meantime! ("Why are we lighting candles here when the church is a fire hazard? We don't have smoke alarms or anything like that! Just watch the flames go from the candles to something else because of everyone's stomping and waving the candles around! Of course Sam and his friends have to burn the paper!")

After that, Eric and I had to wait around for my dad. He asked about my hat, what Auntie Fonda had given me when I said bye to her and thanked her for the stuff, and talked to Nathan about the showing of THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST at his place tomorrow night. We talked to Isabel, Sam, Emily, and a few others. Citrus told Nathan that he was turning into Danielle when he told us that he had to pee. Nathan retorted that at least he didn't stop a whole service because of a need to tell everyone! Danielle told Isabel that we'd been singing and worshipping, and she REALLY HAD TO GO!

We left soon afterwards, and now I'm home. Nathan asked me over MSN about the restaurant we were going to, and Corey unsurprisingly said "Happy Birthday, Old Lady!" to me over AIM. (he does a variant of that every year... one year, he said I was 37!) Danielle did send me the Evite, which I've replied to: I agree with Eric that the PoCo map link has made the page pretty wide, and with Steph that the Richmond people should carpool! Too bad Jon's at his weekend Regent retreat, since an event like this is the only reason he'd ever want to go to PoCo! Hey, I got an email from the truck dude: seems he's fixed his truck (for now?), so is in for the long trek to Richmond from Boonie-Land on Tuesday night. As Jeremy would say, that's sweet! Seems like quite the guest list of 15 so far: the four Richmond Crew members, Karen Choo, Dylan, Billie, Eric H., Jeremy, Randal, Andrea, Nina, Nathan, Jen, and the truck dude. (Melia MIGHT come, and Danielle's currently checking her schedule to see if she can!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home