Sunday, September 18, 2005

I got lots of free stuff today!

Lunch with the family was good: my parents gave me a buckle-style watch (I like wristband watches, but whatever), a mug, a little soccer ball, a bookmark, and Beneath an Opal Moon by Eric van Lustbader. Mom saw the book somewhere, had vaguely heard of the author before, and decided to get it since she thought I'd like it. Maybe I will get into fantasy novels now... watch out, people! Eric M. called to say he couldn't make it since he'd forgotten about a family dinner that he had to attend... at least he did that, so I wasn't upset at all.

Afterwards, I hung around Chapters for a bit longer than I really should have: I got myself the World Joke Book by Phillip Adams and Patrice Newell. I also got a book of Fill-Ins and a card for little David.. I liked those when I was his age (10), so maybe he will too. I saw at least two Da Vinci Code parodies, a lot of books about stupid people, and more stuff that I wanted to buy. Haha, that SO would not have been good for my wallet! Then it was off to Awana on a slow bus day, where a bunch of my friends wished me a happy birthday. I also got to hear the kids scream-sing "Happy Birthday" to me... the proper version, not the "monkey" version which Corey just sent me. :P (they were instructed to give me hugs afterwards, but they didn't... oh well, I got plenty of hugs from my friends!)

Since Melia had to do something else, I was cool with taking the bus to Red Robin's. Jasmine and NetDave were already there, which was kinda surprising since I'm used to Chinese time. We talked for a bit, then Sheena and Chalaine arrived. Soon after, Jeremy showed up... I told him that Eric couldn't make it after all. At least he wouldn't be the only white guy there, haha. We were split up into two tables, and the Nathan crew arrived soon afterwards. I knew Eric H. would make arrangements with Nate, and Citrus and Danielle were totally going to come! It seemed everyone had gone to Chapters that day at different locations, and noticed that the buses were slow / packed today for some reason. Frances and Mel came later, and they had to go to yet another table... Randal came even later, but was able to squish in with the Chinese table. I got a song and dessert from the waiters and waitresses after dinner, haha.

Citrus was trying to give away his onion rings to us, since he figured he was too full after his burger and shake. Danielle wanted to order brownies for dessert, but Citrus said that she'd complain to him later on about how she had a stomachache and was SO FULL from the food. In fact, we were all so full afterwards that we didn't go to Dragon Ball later. We discussed whether the onions in the onion rings were real (they're not at Burger King), my mom's smiling and worrying (she STILL doesn't know how to pronounce "Citrus," after all these years!), my dad's sternness (he wouldn't appreciate an OLD FART license plate from Alaska at ALL!), Steph bailing to do her worship thing, yesterday's Congee Noodle House meal, NetDave guessing Sheena and Chalaine's ages completely wrong, and lots of other topics.

I opened presents after things had been cleared away: Frances and Mel gave me a card, as did Eric H. and Erin via Nathan. (she also got me an Elmo balloon... so cute!) Randal got me a spiral notebook to write stuff in... he thinks I can write my own book in there! Sheena and Chalaine got me this book called The World's Worst: A Guide to the Most Disgusting, Hideous, Inept, and Dangerous People / Places / Things on Earth. As Nathan said, that book would be perfect for my brother... but I'm not going to give it to him till AFTER I'm done. Citrus, Nathan, and Danielle got me three books! Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting For, Fanfare for the Area Man: The Onion Ad Nauseam Complete News Archives, Vol. 15 (the exact same one I gave to my brother for Christmas last year when he was in the hospital), and China's Golden Age: Everyday Life in the Tang Dynasty. (which Nathan wants to get for himself) It was enough that Jeremy, Jasmine, and NetDave were there... I definitely appreciated that, along with everything else! As Nathan said, I got a lot of free stuff! (the Congee Noodle House meal, lunch and dinner, all my gifts, and the dessert!)

Nathan insisted I give a speech, or at least one sentence. So I used that sentence to insist that he sing the Chinese Happy Birthday song: I felt a distinct lack of it last year, haha. Citrus was his support for the song, and it sounded GOOD! I'm not sure how Jasmine or NetDave felt about it, but at least it wasn't anything TOO weird. ;) After a bunch of people left, we compared handwriting styles with Citrus' padded pen and did what we do best: loiter both inside AND outside! *laugh* Outside, Nathan and Citrus sang a bunch of cheesy songs: Chalaine was most decidedly NOT impressed, saying that they'd get those songs stuck in her head... and actually I agreed! (earworms are pernicious enough, haha) After loitering enough, we parted ways and Nathan's car went to church. We saw pictures of various ESC people on the wall... man, Jon and others look SO different! Jon definitely likes Pho, rock music, bubble tea, and Ultimate... Nathan listed "chicken pudding" as his favorite food, haha. Later on, my sister drove me home... a fine end to the day. :D

I'm at least one day behind on emails and catching up with people, but I need sleep too. Maybe I'll catch up before SLB night: speaking of which, Eric M. said that we can use his place for the video(s) afterwards! He picked a few selections: Danielle and I both expressed a preference for 13 Going On 30. At least we're sparing the gentlemen, and not picking chick flicks even though Danielle's a big fan of them! Some movies he picked were dumb (not requiring a lot of thinking), but maybe that's what we need. Steph was joking to him last night that if we did all come over to his place, his parents would be dubiously thinking: "So THESE are the people you hang out with... okay...." (they know me and my sister of course, but probably not anyone else!)

It's Chris S.'s birthday today, so I wondered to Richard whether I was pissed enough at him to not wish him a good one. But then I came up with a solution, which Richard condensed as: "Happy Birthday! Here's a frozen comment!" *laugh*

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home