Saturday, June 05, 2010

Dave, Park Royal, Ambleside, Michigan Noodle Shop, and Twinkle / Lines

Dave picked me up at about 4, and we were off. I had to smile when I saw him waiting for me at the complex door, and I experienced a bit of trouble with opening it - since I almost never do anyway, I'd have to put that down to jitters, haha. He wanted to get out of Richmond, which I didn't mind. Saving my words worked pretty well, since I found it easy to talk to him - he even let me just think about things by myself without trying to fill up the silence, so he gets points in my books unlike Auntie Ying, haha! We had a bunch of "What do you want to do?" "I don't know - what do YOU want to do?" mini-exchanges, haha. Eventually, he suggested maybe grabbing Starbucks and then going around the shops at Park Royal Village - sounded fine to me, so we did that.

We talked about Felico's and Leslie Road ("there's a road with your name on it!"), chocolate chip banana loaf, free admission at Hastings racecourse for the horse races, Commercial Drive, Wesley's FB wall post, New York, breakdancing (or "B. Boy-ing" as he called it), "dope" stuff, Blenz, people-watching (I like that he can do that too), TRAINSPOTTING and the toilet, heroin and drug habits, Korean BBQ food (Seoul House), haggis, rickety tables, hobbies, reading, and writing. Also discussed goat royalty stories, Urban Fare (where he joked that I got my furniture from), brands, Cobbs Bread, Isabel and Terra Breads, Nathan and the Nice N'Spicy Reggae House, Chuck and Andrea's wedding, the bazaar, other church stuff, money, wine stores, the Illuminati, Japadogs and Sunday Dinners, Bathroom Readers, graphic artists, the culture of hip-hop, drawing, Kin's Farm Market, killing my cold, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, treating myself to hot chocolate goodness, the American deficit in the TRILLIONS / George Bush / Barack Obama, my morbid side, his brother making a crazy amount of money, his overshooting my place at first, and more.

After that, he asked whether I was up for a walk in Coal Harbor / Ambleside in West Van - sounded fine to me, so off we went. When we couldn't find parking at Coal Harbor (neither of us had any change to feed the meters there, anyhow), it was off to West Van - I hadn't been across the Lions Gate Bridge in ages. There was no traffic at almost 5, but there certainly would be in ten minutes with rush hour, so we picked the right time! Dave said that he used to go to Ambleside with his parents, and it IS a nice area with a view to match! (walking along a path where you can just see UBC and all the water!) He seemed solicitous enough, wondering whether I could walk pretty far (we were going to the Beach House restaurant - or the "Fish House" as he erroneously called it) - I said I should be fine. "We're just going to those white tents - but if you need to turn back at any time, please let me know!" Of course! I guess we took it at a slower pace than some people, but it was fine. He accidentally said "shit" in front of me ("excuse my French!"), but that was okay since I also said it a bit later in reference to something else, haha.

I noticed all these memorial benches along the way, so of course I had to take note of the names! One of the benches in particular caught my eye - apparently, a "Mignon" was being remembered there. He saw what I did, and laughed about a kid being named Filet Mignon... then he took a Middle Eastern slant to it: "I'll name MY kid Shawarma Falafel Flatbread!" We talked about whether he looked like a thug (I wouldn't say that even with his toque!), tomboyish girls, fine waitresses (I don't think he'd bring those topics up if he weren't comfortable with me), pink stuff, "illing" concepts, bookstores, St. Paul's hospital / the Art Gallery, the UFC, Vancouver events, fireworks, Indonesian food at Hawkers, Stephen King / Dean Koontz / Danielle Steele novels, Stephen King's son and HIS book, reading, bike parts (and his own bike issues), Google and Pac-Man, PRINCE OF PERSIA, bikes in general, the British Properties and the view there, Common, middle-class positive hip-hop, Cellar Jazz cover charge, budgets, the Richmond Night Market, being random, wearing white, and other things. When we did get to the restaurant, he wanted to know if I wished to eat there! Of course, I did figure it would be pretty bling even WITHOUT looking at the prices on the menu! New Zealand rack of lamb was $42, for example. Eventually, we figured that it would be nice if we had a bunch of people as our posse, not just the two of us - too true!

He wondered if I'd like to chill by the water since he said he was a little tired, and that was fine by me because I could also have used the rest... we did that for about an hour or so. Talked about the insane amount of money people must have in this community, the possibility of a crazy neighbor, what people were wearing, People of Walmart.com, sophistication, Alan's Egypt ICQ story, Vanessa, Jeremy, Jon, Christon, hummus, olives, not knowing when I was going to call him back, Babylonian stuff, rock climbing (he thinks I should do it - HA), Jim Pattison seemingly owning EVERYTHING, the old T&T owner's daughter dumping Clement on his birthday (he said that was pretty COLD - for sure!), being a sheik of Dubai, and more. It was nice just sitting with him on the bench - I enjoyed it, for sure. Then he asked if I were cold because of the wind... not really, so we stayed for a while longer. When we walked back, we discussed alligators with hockey pucks for eyes, my walking a bit faster than him (the walk back always seems shorter than the walk to a place!), employment, art, little Sean and rainbows, his brother, hanging out more often, Steveston, cycling, Sex Pistols, Poison, punk, Dragon Ball, Jack Bauer / 24 / not watching too much TV in general (another thing we have in common!), metal music like GWAR / Children of Bodom / Cannibal Corpse, and more.

I said that he was going to think I was crazy, but I liked morbid stuff - he thinks it's just fine. Then I said that I'd had to call him to see what was up... he gave me "mad respect" for that one, noted nobody else had done so, and observed that he sometimes liked to do things out of the blue. Hey, that works for me, keeping in mind our respective budgets! We got into the car, and he said that he was working his way back to Richmond... "Please let me know if you have any spontaneous ideas! You're in MY hood now, near the church!" Hahaha, that's fine!

While I was thinking of ideas since it didn't seem like "home time" yet (and since he'd stated that he wasn't in a hurry to do anything), I wondered if he had cash on him. He assured me that he did, so I suggested a Chinese place. That was fine with him, even though he wasn't that hungry - he thought I might be, and said he couldn't turn down a good meal. I wouldn't have said that I needed a HEAVY MEAL at that point either (even after a walk of more than one kilometre!), so we stopped by the Coast Capital ATM. He wanted to withdraw some cash without breaking certain bills - ah yes, that superstition also dies hard with me sometimes!

I didn't really care where we went, so the Michigan Noodle Shop it was. Dave mentioned a craving for "water dumplings," so of course he got those! Then he mentioned that he wanted to try green apple bubble tea (which I haven't had in some time), so it's a good thing that Twinkle was nearby! Talked about the past SLB antics at Shanghai Wind / Shanghai Wonderful, his seeing some of those pictures (he won't admit to "stalking" my profile - haha), Steph's job, the BAD Harmonized Sales Tax, marble tables, good Asian beer (I'm not an expert!), skateboard companies, Jerome Irrigation, dangerous electricity substations, beer snobbery, the cloud decorations at Twinkle, the funny drink names there ("White King Kong" / "Love Story"), red vinegar suggestions, spicy stuff, the time where I ate an entire bowl of mini-jalapeno peppers at Congee Noodle House (thus freaking my cousins out), fire turds, Wesley and Dianne going with him to McDonalds for dollar drinks or cheap burgers (Wes came back with a whole TRAY of them!), and more.

He thought he'd said the wrong thing at one point, so of course I had to put my hand over his and assure him that he had NOT done that! (this is as close as I come to being "appropriate" with touching, haha) As we were walking back to the car after having bubble tea, the guy from Twinkle came out to say that Dave had apparently forgotten to pay the tax... whoops! Dave gave him a toonie ("for the government!"), and later said that he hoped it covered both of us - I think his green apple was more expensive than my mango (which did kinda look like beer), but it worked. Of course, I refused to even make it appear that he paid for my noodles, so I insisted that he keep my $5 bill THERE - as long as we didn't rip anyone off! He joked about robbing the bank / dining and dashing - HAHA, I dunno about that, man! At one point, he said that he thought I was pretty cool - just wait, man.

On the way home, I made sure to say that I'd had a great evening (he agreed), and thanked him for everything - he said that he and Christon owe me / Jen / Jeremy / everyone else a salad. Oh yes, the "salt for sugar" mistake, haha! He wondered if I'd heard any celeb gossip lately: I don't really pay attention to it! (then he wondered about the church history, and reminded me about Choppers!) Then he told me about this disgusting sandwich: Fillet of Fish in some other burgers?! Man, that sounds even worse than turducken! (I illuminated him on that after he found a parking spot in the complex) I don't think he seemed to mind my random stories, and he's said that he didn't mind my calling him - both good things!

Then he said that I seemed more eclectic than other people at church... well, I do know SOME things, but also am aware I don't know EVERYTHING! It helps that I can talk about a fair range of topics, and not be all shallow like the Jersey Shore / Miami people! Of course (as I told Eric recently), I won't ABUSE his number or anything like that! If this gets out to my family or Eric, they will have a FIELD DAY with it - so I guess I won't be telling them anything about this super time! Then again, sometimes I have a hard time keeping a secret to save my life, so I don't think that will go very well. I'm also keeping in mind that Dave and I made the hangout plans via Facebook (Jon / Harmony / Steph / Eric can read it), so I wouldn't be surprised if I were asked a question along these lines!


Trivia fact for Saturday, June 5: What British funnyman dubbed some of Humphrey Bogart's lines in the offbeat 1953 comedy Beat The Devil? Peter Sellers. The lines had to be re-recorded because Bogie had been in an auto accident during filming and lost some teeth, which affected his speaking ability.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home