Friday, May 14, 2010

Quivering grammar and paint / First female prime minister

High-scoring words of the night:

QUIVERS (126 points; 2W, 3W), VAUNT (150 points; 3W, 5W) - against Emma Grace F.
SAYYIDS (184 points) - against Cally P. [4W, 2W] {a good deficit-erasing word!}
AMBIT (240 points; 4W, 5W), WREATHY (120 points; 4W, 2L on W and Y) - against Millie F.


Jon sent me an email to say that he could take Grandma and me out for either Monday lunch or Thursday dinner. Sounds good to me, if she doesn't forget what day it is! She was already asking me a lot whether tomorrow was Saturday, heh. Am also doing laundry, and I've finished those grape tomatoes which I was nagged about, thank you VERY much. :P


Corey and I were talking about voring (you don't want to know), and then he asked me this:

Corey: hey, Miss Grammar, what tense does a question like "how would you feel if you lost your credit cards?" use? :P it uses past tense words, obviously, but I think you call that present perfect... I can't find examples of present perfect written as questions, though, so I don't really know. I need to ask people to change things to that tense tomorrow, so I should probably figure out what it's called
kind of past tense form, but it's something that hasn't happened yet
me: I think that is the subjunctive, but I could be wrong
Corey: I'm not sure about subjunctive... most examples are stuff like "Were I blah blah blah" not "would you" type stuff
Corey: I think it's present perfect.. that uses past tense words
Present Perfect
Have you played football?
me: what a random question - not really :P
Corey: that's an example, not a question, you weirdo
me: oh... an example, you say...
Corey: well, I'm banned from the room for a bit, be right back
me: okay...
Corey: back. they're painting things in here
they put a new air conditioner in this room, and had to tear up the wall to do it... so now people are remodelling part of Jane's house, and while they're at it, they're fixing the wall in here
Corey: now the paint fumes are in her dad's room (across the hall)
me: lovely :P


Trivia fact for Friday, May 14: What was the first nation in the world to elect a woman prime minister? Ceylon (now known as Sri Lanka), in 1960. The woman was Sirimavo Bandaranaike.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home