Saturday, November 28, 2009

Stupid phone calls / Zoo selling reindeer poo necklaces / Buy Nothing Day

Tried finding my stuff at 2 AM, but it didn't work - if only I could remember where it was! TOO MANY STRESSFUL PHONE CALLS AND SUCH! Henry called soon after I got up to ask if I could get a ride from Ada since it's his sister's birthday today, and they have a celebration planned. Well, it might have been fine were I able to get an answer from her! Her husband John called me back to say that Ada was sick with a fever - he can't really pick me up because he has to get some medicine for her, but can give me a ride home if I can get there.

Henry was like "What the?!" and suggested I call Pastor Rebecca - SHE said that Martin lives in Richmond, which of course I did not know until now. And besides, I don't have his number in any event! Haha... maybe I should ask him for it next time I see him! Requested that she call me back after she got an answer from Martin, heh. She did, but couldn't get him on the phone. Maybe I just won't go... I hate waiting for phone calls and leaving the damn thing on.... *sad face* Martin himself called after I'd discussed stuff with Henry, and said that he could drive me at 3:10... he thought that Henry picking me at 3:30 or 3:40 was late. Sort of, but it's what I've gotten used to. Now to somehow eat, shower, and change before I have to leave...


This is from my Bizarre News newsletter:

----------- Zoo selling reindeer poo necklaces -------------

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - Officials at an Illinois zoo said the facility's gift shops will soon be selling necklace pendants made from dried reindeer dung. The Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington said the Magical Reindeer Gem necklaces, which go on sale Friday for $15 each, were inspired by tree ornaments made from the same substance that went on sale at the zoo last year, The (Bloomington) Pantagraph reported. "We kept hearing from people who were buying the ornaments, 'Do you have any jewelry?'" said Susie Ohley, spokeswoman for the Miller Park Zoological Society. "We thought we would make them available for the big shopping day," she said of the launch Friday, the largest shopping day of the year. "It may be silly, but it not only brings in money and support to the zoo, (but) it brings people smiles." Ohley said the zoo expects to make as much as $16,500 from sales of the ornaments and necklaces during the holiday season.





You Are Walmart



You think people who don't shop at Walmart are totally crazy. Walmart is always your first (and sometimes your only) stop.

Everything is so inexpensive there that you're really throwing your money away if you shop any place else.



You like the convenience of being able to get all the items on your list at one store, at any time of day.

So what if the lines are long and the aisles are messy? Shopping at Walmart is an adventure that doesn't tax your wallet!




You Should Celebrate Buy Nothing Day



Whether you've ever celebrated it before or not, you definitely know where Buy Nothing Day advocates are coming from.

You agree that the holidays have gotten too commercial and materialistic. And all this debt is really hurting people.



Besides, buying a ton of disposable holiday gifts and decorations isn't doing anything to help the environment. Or your wallet.

This Black Friday, give yourself the option of opting out. Bake some cookies. Visit a friend. It feels much better than standing in line at the crack of dawn.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home