Sunday, July 26, 2009

Let's see if cigarette smoke repels mosquitoes!

Nate and Jen picked me up at about 5:45. which was reasonably on time. Discussed library books, reading, FAST FOOD NATION, and other things on the way to Eric's. Since Nathan had parking issues at Eric's, I decided to joke that he had performance anxiety. Hey, it's Nathan... I can do that! Of course he took it well, haha - Jon let us in, and we almost immediately went to the backyard since it was crowded in the kitchen. True to my game plan, I pretended that two people did not exist. (as I thought, they were doing the very same thing) Harmony and I were getting bitten alive by mosquitoes, so we finally decided to avail ourselves of Eric's OFF lotion - he also had Deep Woods Spray, which I remember from going to Camp Sasamat as a kid.

Alistair was kindly grilling the salmon steaks / cooking burgers for us, and we all thanked him before he left for a previous engagement. Discussed the Chief, the Grind, and other similar hikes... also talked about the fireworks last night, courtesy of Christon. "They said to stay away from trees and tall skinny objects - well, we were under a tree, and my friend was tall and skinny! Nice way to try avoiding lightning! I also left as soon as the fireworks ended, and didn't have to wait for a bus back at all!" Jon wants to hang around a restaurant on Wednesday till the crowd thins out - we'll see! We also educated Nathan on what "TMI" meant, which grew out of a story about Roberto Luongo taking a long time in the bathroom before a playoff game a couple years back. There was also a story about Jeremy's kimchi exploding in the back of Nathan's car once, after a Grouse Grind - Jer didn't remember it happening, though!

Jon poured me some Prague beer from a cooler when I was done with a Coke can that Harmony offered me, then asked how long I'd stayed at the townhouse on Wednesday night - not too long, maybe till 8:15 or 8:30. After that, we pretty much filled ourselves up on chips and skewers (when those were ready) while listening to some honeymoon stories and discussing interesting topics. Someone wondered if Eric had any citronella candles since those would definitely repel the mosquitoes from eating us / our food, and Jen suggested that she should light up a cigarette. Jeremy thought that the smoke wouldn't be strong enough to simulate a fire, and that she wanted to smoke cigars instead for that effect. (Nathan made a weird salad dressing - which he lost to an accidental spill thanks to Eric - and a normal one, but made another weird one. The salad had sunflower seeds, too!)

I told Jon to take my onion slices from my skewers, which he gladly did since "they're the best part, man!" Also tried some really hoppy (bitter) Imperial IPA, and some raspberry ale - the ale was a very deceiving 7% alcohol. Later, Jon commented that I was really red: yeah, this comes up every Sunday Dinner! The salmon and burgers were pretty good! Later, Jen DID smoke a cigarette - I noticed that Raymond made her move, so that was a bit rude. (I'm all for asserting yourself, but just because it was him...) However, that meant Jeremy could test whether cigarette smoke was effective in the short term for repelling mosquitoes. Last time we were at Eric's, we all got chased inside because of the bugs in the grass not being visible till too late! Jeremy told us a funny story about Ray, and then Jon joked that he and Jeremy both needed a nicotine fix. "Sure, I'll smoke a fag with you, Jen!" The experiment proved to be successful, which was good for their purposes.

I eventually went inside because of the bugs (and because I couldn't stand being in the same yard as certain people), and flopped on the couch for a bit. Jen came in and scared Heidi (the cat) - whoops! Eric joked that I was passed out - not a bit of it! Eventually, we all came in to do dishes / watch an episode of CORONATION STREET (for Nathan!) which involved illicit sex, courtroom perjury testimony involving an affair, a surprise party, and a "mugging" which involved payment for punching Steve in the nose. Then we all crowded into Eric's room (Nathan and I took the bed - Eric eventually did, too) to view Jon and Harmony's honeymoon photos - lots of stories, some trouble, first-class / second-class, food, falling asleep at paid concerts, coffee, cake, candy, beer, chandeliers, public squares, gardens, museums, artwork, and more! It got pretty warm in there after a while, but it was past the point where the screened window would have helped.

After that, I thought Raymond was motioning me out before he exited, but we all were desperate for some cool air. I'm not going to ask him about that! Since it was 10:30 by the time we were done looking at photos, we didn't go to the Night Market because people had had long days / had to work tomorrow. (Dylan had actually called Christon to ask where we were - he had a family dinner at Deb's to attend) For instance, Christon didn't work on his Powerpoint after the worship practice yesterday because he had to go to the fireworks. So he started it at 6 or 7 AM today instead! Nate said he was working till August to fill up his entertainment fund, but someone turned it into a joke about revenue or expense - we don't want to know! I finished my coffee before leaving, and collected my unfinished Szechaun chips (I didn't mind if Randal had some, as long as he didn't ask me directly) and a 2L bottle of Brisk iced tea that Eric said I should take. Yes, of course I drink the stuff!

He also had clipped my chips shut, so I'll return the red mini clip to him when I finish them! (I got a Safeway bag to carry them home in) We all convinced Eric to keep some extra money since we all paid $6 each, even if his parents wouldn't take any. Nathan drove me home, and was very surprised by the pothole thing leading into the complex parking lot! He's never encountered it before, he says. (discussed London pictures when he gets there, Billie wanting to live there, blog invites, Erin's reception, any birthday party of mine, and more on the way home) Good times!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home