Sunday, February 17, 2008

DEVIL CAME ON HORSEBACK

Sam let me in at Nathan's, and I proceeded upstairs after leaving my stuff in the basement. When I got up there, I saw Jon's CRU friend Dilys, whom I was trying to place for the longest time - at first, I thought she was some girl that Raymond brought! Also saw Joey, his Commerce friend Megan, Emily L., Ivan, Sam, Jeremy, Eric, Nathan, Christon, Jon, Sheena, and Julie... pretty good turnout for a dinner! Luckily, we had called on our way over to tell Jon to leave me some food, haha. It turned out to be the cheapest Sunday Dinner for some time (maybe since Grey Cup 2006?) at $3 a head. For my money, I got salad / spaghetti / beer / white wine and a big bowl of leftover meat sauce with a Tupperware container of spaghetti. Nathan cued up music on his laptop while Eric looked up hockey pool stats - we told Christon that he wasn't allowed to glance over at the screen since he's Lenting the Internet for no more than a half hour per day. ("This counts against your Internet time!") He countered that it was Sunday, and therefore FEAST DAY. Fair enough! Discussed wine, Communion, bread, stale wine and stale bread not being a good combo, Nathan not knowing Isabel is in New York for a week (they live in the same house...), forgetfulness after being introduced to someone five minutes before / Dragon Ball / Ethiopian dinner, etc.

I sat on the piano bench eating dinner for a while, and took Eric's seat when he left to go into the kitchen for a bit. (further complicating matters was that Jeremy had handed me a glass of wine with a grin - now I couldn't eat without placing the glass where it would invariably get knocked over!) When he got back, I apologized to him, and he joked that he'd hold a grudge for the rest of his life. Couldn't hear him, so I asked him twice to repeat himself - Nathan thought Eric had said he'd WEAR A DRESS for the rest of his life! This led to some very funny conversation: Jeremy turned to me and wondered whether that would be a good idea, and Christon said that the whole worship team could cross-dress! Jon remarked: "Pastor John seems like a pretty laid-back guy, but I don't know whether he'd go for that!"

I got Jeremy to scoop me a lot of salad after he'd scraped a considerable amount from the implements! Later, he turned to me with a grin and asked: "Leslie, how are we going to finish this wine?" "I have NO idea, Jeremy!" I replied with my own grin. After a while, he extracted a book from his knapsack and laughed at a funny paragraph; I inquired what was so amusing. He smilingly handed me the INDIAN COOKERY paperback book and told me to read a certain paragraph mentioning "the ordinary housewife." Haha, that book HAD to be printed in the 1950s! He got it for $8, which was a good deal - fifteen recipes for dahl curry, and the rest of the book being similar with lots of stuff? SWEET! (as he'd say)

Went downstairs after a while to watch the documentary - we were warned about charred bodies on the screen for half a second, lots of images coming at us, burning villages, and more. Apparently, it's gotten worse over the past year or so. Megan seemed scared of the movie before it started, so Joey asked whether she was going to have nightmares tonight! She bravely said no, heh. Some people in the movie didn't trust the Americans, and some Darfur people said their life is desolate from being displaced. Sounds about right. After we watched the documentary, we wrote letters to politicians. (troops, policy recommendations, etc.) Jon jokingly told someone (Sam / Joey?) NOT to put "fo' shizzle, my nizzle" into his letter, hahaha! Ivan asked how many S's "suppression" had; at least two of us heard "depression" instead, heh. Megan had a good draft, but discarded it because of spelling errors and two initial capitals in the word "country."

I told someone to look up correct forms of address on Google, so Eric did. Then I wanted to have a better view of an address on a template letter: unfortunately, Jeremy was also using it! I apologized, and he was cool about it - we shared the template in a better view for both of us later. We joked about salutations and endings we'd put in the letters: "I'm going to be your pen pal, and mail you every day in handwriting since it's free and you'd pay more attention to letters that take a little more effort to write! Yo, homie G! (the G stands for GOVERNMENT!) Love, Joey... XOXOXOXO!" Eric commented that I'd had too much alcohol since my face was all red - why do you think I took a water bottle from the box in the kitchen before I went downstairs?! Dilys had her own problems with the red-face gene, I noticed.

Joey and the girls found a LET'S FIND POKEMON book, and tried finding various monsters. (Megan thought there was one called Menopause or something like it - TMI for the guys, thanks!) That reminded Jon of WHERE'S WALDO, and a news story he had read where people wanted to get it banned from (school) libraries because it featured nude sunbathers. This led to a discussion of HARRY POTTER and where it had crossed the line from children's literature to dark adult stuff... Book 4? I checked my email, and Eric came over to ask whether I was on MSN. Nope, even though it was a feast day! It wouldn't do much good since I'd only be on there for an hour max until midnight hit!

Then he gave me a message from Korey ("he says he loves and misses you"), stating that he'd talked to the K-Man earlier this afternoon - fair enough! Then Eric played ENDLESS OCEAN on Nintendo Wii, and then found an old-school 1988 Ice Hockey game which he and Sam played for a bit. All the Richmondites were left - the people who had the furthest to drive! Hahaha. Good times, though - I'll remember Nathan's stuff on Friday, I hope! When I get home, I'll be putting the meat sauce and spaghetti in the fridge: all wrapped in aluminum foil / plastic wrap / triple-bagged!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home