Sunday, September 09, 2007

Having someone sit in your lap is pretty sweet!

Listened to gospel music on the way to church, and apparently Grandma didn't mind it either. Courtesy of taking the Oak St. bridge and then Fraser to church, we passed K's favorite restaurant: HO YUEN KEE! Steph asked how he'd liked his time here: since I can't speak for him (obviously), I said that he seemed to like it okay. If there's a next time, I should really take his cues and just be an eating machine with his unwanted food, haha. Told Steph about Randal's response to my Evite: we just KNOW he's getting at a "birthday suit" reference when he wonders what sort of suit to wear to a birthday party since Karen's picked her "outfit" out already! Said hi to Cindy on the way into church, and greeted several more people once inside the sanctuary. Little Keenan was cute with his blue sunglasses, and he gave me a high-five. Joshua waved to me, aided by his dad Tim - those kids are pretty cute! Randal, Nathan, Christon, Jon, Jeremy, and I all shared various bits of amusement during the sermon: Daniel clowning around, certain illustrations Pastor Edward used, random bits of piano music which didn't go with the song, babies making noise that seemed to go with the song we were singing at the time, clapping, echoing, etc. I had the thought that K might not have liked the service since we stood for just about every song - thus, holding hands would have proved to be challenging. But we did make it work that time he was in service, haha. Who knows about the future... :P

After service, I told Randal that I was amused by his response - if he actually DOES show up in that kind of suit, we'd get evicted from the premises, and we don't want THAT! Haha. Eric also clarified the "Kamloops" thing that he typed yesterday - seems he meant "Port McNeill." Then he told me that I should still be mad at K even if I was on my way to being over it - hahaha, sounds good to me! Jeremy, Tony, Brian, Jon, Sheena, Dawn, Jen, Joey, Melia, Mike, Vivian, Karen, and I talked about my birthday Evite. Various people saw it, but didn't respond yet - Jer didn't find it in his email, but had by the time I got to his place. We also discussed the Sunday Dinner / Eric's pseudo-birthday, yesterday's Walkathon / Awana BBQ, Jeremy's lack of a BBQ grill for the bulgogi beef (broil or FRY it on cookie sheets!), upcoming church events, etc. Joey thought that a particular group of guys had too much testosterone: Ivan, Tony, Mike, Sam, Citrus, and others?! OH YEAH. Gave Mike my Awana Sparks Leader Source book, as I threatened him I'd do at the barbecue. Melia showed him what to read, and thanked me - not a problem! He doesn't like reading much, so it's a good thing if I can give him more to read, haha! I told Tony that he may as well GO HOME AND SLEEP since he'd just come from work... no use in staying for a Pho lunch at Pho Hoa!

The toddler Sunday School was pretty good: all new kids, with Amos the only one I knew. He stuck close to his mom Jennifer, who works with some special-needs kids at a daycare with professionals. Little Grace is about six weeks shy of being two years old (and understands Mandarin), so of course she clung to her mom. Aidan's three-ish, and has a good grasp of English despite being an only child and all that jazz. (and was VERY GOOD despite being with a bunch of strangers!) He actually sat right next to Frances when I came in the room, and then plopped right in my lap when we told him to get off a chair during storytime. I haven't had THAT experience since Ian was in the class two summers ago or more! It's surprisingly good to have someone sit in your lap, heh.

Went outside and waved to Hien and Mary, while figuring that I'd go to the family meeting for Pastor John since I was FLEXIBLE and could do that even if I wasn't expecting that in the morning. Stanley was offering me, Dylan, and everyone else some big blue JOLT drink - Dylan ended up taking it, but everyone else declined. We don't want a big energy drink, especially since Jeremy opined that those things are actually NEGATIVE energy and drain you! People wondered if I were going to Pho Hoa with them - since I wasn't short on cash this week, I went with my friends! Thanks, Steph - she took the "free lunch" option, and reminded me that I wasn't a family person anyhow. We had to be split up into two tables at Pho (the place on Nanaimo / Kingsway that the family used to go to all the time after church), and talked about time and positivity and molecules. Phil nodded when I said that we couldn't pick and choose what to believe - laments and sadness are part of the Christian walk, and it would be hypocrisy just to cut that part out because you believe that everything should be positive! Interesting "what the BLEEP?!" show where water could tell about positive things and negative things, haha. So New Age and science-oriented! I was QUIET like I usually am, haha. (puts the lie to someone thinking that I'm only quiet around my parents / family!)

The family meeting was pretty good - Eric and I got in late after yelling bye to Jeremy, and I almost lost my shoe sitting beside Sam's brother Jeremy in an empty seat. Andrea noticed that when Phil slid it over, and gave me an amused look. Yeah, maybe it's time to get shoes that actually FIT, haha. Rich could see what one of the pastor's kids was writing on her Etch-A-Sketch: "This is really boring!" Haha, I bet she and her brothers wished they were outside playing with the other kids! Learned a lot about Pastor John and his family / personal views, and was amused when Katherine forgot to switch to English from Chinese while translating a question. Finished Jon's Slurpee for him, and traded barbs with Ivan and Darren while noticing that Phil and Grace held hands in her lap for some of the session. Very cute! By that time, I was feeling no anger at all - K is lucky I don't get mad very often OR stay angry unless it's really justified. Although maybe Eric has a point about staying mad... I gotta talk to him about stuff, for sure!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home