Sunday, September 30, 2007

Belly dancers are NOT making an appearance here - sorry, Dylan!

Blogging from Christon's - interesting laptop, but the apostrophes and such aren't the kind I like best, and some keys appear to be remapped or something. Must edit this post later on when I get home. Got some coffee into me before I left this morning for church, which was a good thing since I went to bed a little too late even for my self-control. Ah well... like Danielle said, it is something we all need to practice! Discussed POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE on the way to church: Gorilla Monsoon IS the best announcer ever, according to my sister. I told Jon that Jim Ross and some other guy I recognize are still doing commentary on RAW, since I got to see a few minutes of it while K was channel-surfing randomly a few times. We discussed History, IB, the Thanksgiving Carnival next week, Mom thinking that the God's Faithful Singers could have sung the Joan Osborne song ONE OF US (we were NOT asking Byron about THAT one!), and other such stuff. At church, I said hi to a bunch of people and sat by Angus and Kevin: I had to turn around to share various bits of amusement with Jeremy, but that was just fine! Said hi to Tony's dad, who was videotaping a bunch of people as Randal waved at me - I waved back, and made a mental note to talk to him later. Shared a Bible with Kevin and helped him find various passages - he grabbed a hymnbook, but I showed him where it said HYMNS OF LIFE on the front in English, haha. I was more amused than anything by that. Then Phil had a thought-provoking sermon about relationships, insecurity, forgiveness, and other stuff: when he said something about harmony and asked Jon to correct him if he was wrong in his illustration, a whole bunch of people laughed. He had to backtrack and say that he wasn't going THERE with the girlfriend thing, haha! Gave Citrus and Christon their birthday cards, and told Grace and others that I was now on Facebook.

Went downstairs to talk to Andrew and Randal - I know Andrew wanted to be first on my wall, but that wasn't to be! Told Randal that since he was free this week, I'd give him a call. Talked to Vania for a bit about Facebook and Darren, then went outside in the rain to catch what people were saying there. Jeremy said that he'd be at the dinner tonight, and also informed me that he wasn't feeling that much better - I just hope this isn't a lingering cold for him that lasts till the next one, since those are absolutely KILLER! Said hi to Ivan, Michelle, Daniel, Anita, Jeff, Vivian, Eric, Jon, and a bunch of other people before they all left early for Sunday School. Nobody wants to stand in the rain unless they absolutely have to, and I agree with Danielle on that point! I went inside early too, and discovered new toddlers in the Sunday School class, like little Ian! He seemed to like me, although of course Auntie May (his grandma) had to restrain him a few times when his aunt Frances was telling the kids a story. Rosenda has learned some Chinese too, in her time with the family - good thing! When the toddler class ended, I asked Hien where her brother David was - just behind me, playing checkers with Jonathan C. Chan and other boys his age. Gave HIM a birthday card too, and then headed upstairs to grab Grandma before going to Pho as previously arranged. The basement was semi-chaotic with the people eating sandwiches and such - it's a good idea before meeting days, for sure!

Grandma asked where Steph was, so I kinda lied and said she was at the restaurant already. Then she was insistent on grabbing an umbrella, but I didn't know which was hers and I wanted to get to Pho before the rush. I made her wear my hat for a 30-second walk since she is FUSSY about her hair. Good thing Jon was already at a table, so we pre-ordered for Steph while he tried something new. Apparently, the curry chicken noodles are pretty good, and made him full before he finished the dish - I must try some next week or whenever I go there next! (sandwiches are good for the summer, but not on a cruddy day like today!) We talked to Dylan, Jeremy, Eric, Christon, Calla, Lesley, Citrus, Danielle, and others since we were surprised that the restaurant was comparatively deserted! Dylan wanted us to have belly dancers at the Sunday dinner, so I relayed this to Jeremy - he offered to do a shimmy for him right there, but we weren't having any of that! Moroccan belly dancers and shiny things, oh my! Lesley just thought we'd had too much caffeine, but someone assured her that we were just being random. Nathan then bemoaned his guitar's G-string snapping when he was playing at service, which reminded me of an Awana meeting years ago where Sam turned around in mid-conversation: "I only heard the part about three-quarters of a G-string, guys!" Of course, we all know there is just one thing on SOME guys' minds... like another Awana meeting when we discussed a Chinese New Year fun fair involving rooster-blowing or duck-blowing. We had to tell the guys to get their minds out of the gutter... and yes, we discuss this stuff at church! I remember well the Pho discussions with Nathan about his Trinity advisor corrupting him, and Jen not knowing what 69 was in popular parlance! Dawn had told her not to look it up, hahaha.

I had just a couple sips of Jon's Vietnamese coffee since I didn't want a whole order with my lunch. The last time I did that, I stayed up till 3:45 AM when I had stuff to do relatively early the next day. NOT A GOOD IDEA, as I told Jeremy! Then I went to church to beat the crowd so I could sign in and get a ballot - they were in the process of setting up the table when I got in, so I had good timing! Went back to Pho to retrieve my stuff and watch Jeremy pay his bill while we discussed Linux and computers... Eric has Uncle Daniel's parts to assemble a new computer, and Citrus has sold his old laptop to Jon since he wants to trade up! The meeting was the shortest AGM ever since we finished before 3, and we made 139 people as our quorum before the singing was even over - that also has got to be some sort of record. A cellphone went off during the meeting, and I told Dianne about the time we were at John and Sophia's wedding when a phone went off during the VOWS - WORST TIMING EVER! When Uncle Patrick asked if there were any questions, a bunch of us were inwardly screaming NO! Thankfully, there were no questions, and Pastor John has been called to be our new English pastor... yay! Loitered a bit, bought a carnival ticket from Lesley, interacted with little Keenan and his dad Tim, gave Anita a birthday card (she is always amazed by my good memory!), and talked to Stanley and Jeremy about sedation (the Ramones' I WANNA BE SEDATED) and operations. Health problems, cooking, sloppy Joes, feeling drunk, recovery time, ingredients, speaking of the devil, excluding carbs, and other stuff made for exciting discussion - Lesley couldn't find her keys, so retraced her steps, and she finally found them in the church washroom!

Eric, Jon, and I went to Christon's - we were most amused by Nathan saying that Ivan would bring his whole family since his parents are out of town. I then thought that I should have brought three mooncakes instead of two, but there will be plenty of food anyhow. Thank goodness I knew that Natalie is allergic to peanuts when Eric was looking over a printout of the butter chicken recipe - I don't know if little Nathan is allergic to anything, however. Best to get almond butter, for sure. Isabel and Vania are or were here, and Sheena dropped by for a bit. I didn't want to bother Nathan since he was working on his laptop, so went on Christon's laptop downstairs when Jon was finished looking up baseball scores. I've just been busy juggling Facebook messages and wall stuff - just because my status is RETHINKING RELATIONSHIPS does not mean that I am doing that with my romantic one! I guess I'll get used to seeing Netspeak and such on my wall or in my messages since I know Michelle C., Adam, and Andrew all use it. *sigh* Also got a bunch of friends: Chalaine, Stanley, Michelle C., Adam, Maxine, Vanessa, Randal, Michelle W., Sabrina, Jasmine, Vivian S., Dianne, Ivan C., Ivan W., Megan, Phil, Esther C., Fidela, Justin L., Eunice, Kate, Darren, Teunis, Sean, Fabian, Ricky, Melissa, Jason L., Vivian L., Danielle, Eddie, Derek L., Joe Y., Kitty, and Nathan. All good people, whom I'm pleased to know!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home