Saturday, April 07, 2007

You're gonna make one TIRED new investment banker, Ricky!

Eric, Sam, Joey, and I made the worst decision ever at Pho considering the hot weather: WE ORDERED LARGE SOUP DISHES! I gave Daniel his birthday card - he thanked me, and put it in Michelle's purse so he wouldn't lose it. Sam and Joey were apparently having an eating contest, and Sam wanted a five-minute head start. Steph was telling the other table about her bra story, and had to retell it when Phil and Grace walked in with Jon when we were finishing up! Our table discussed Isabel's pronunciation of "lychee," and also discussed pig's blood (EW!) and intestines / durian / rambutan / coconut drinks. The coconut drink had one piece only, and it looked like a Kleenex: "It looks like she blew her nose and left it in there!" Thanks for the visual, Mike / Christon... it's not like we're trying to EAT DINNER here or anything! According to Sam, you're not Chinese if (like Joey) you've never had pig's blood or intestines! Isabel's visual of "hockey pool fighting" involved hockey players fighting in a swimming pool - the guys were discussing 300, Blades of Glory, IMAX, movie ratings (18A and illegal stuff?), ways to keep the teens occupied tonight, etc.

Returned to the church after paying for our meals, and encountered some of the kids doing the 30-Hour Famine this year: Olivia and Michelle seemed to be bugging Andrew, while I saw Gabriel go upstairs. Stanley arrived at church with nothing, since he says he doesn't really sleep or need stuff - okay, then! Watched people come in for the Good Friday service as the worship team prayed, and talked to Jen / Karen Choo / some of the teens. Kept a lookout for my usual seatmate: he was there, all right. Didn't really matter where we sat, so I talked to Ricky for a while about his new job in Hong Kong: investment banking when you're really jet-lagged and your Chinese sucks? Man, that doesn't sound like the best way to start a new venture... hopefully, it doesn't count against him TOO much! I was also looking out for someone else so I could bug him about not seeing the movie with us since it wasn't really what the previews made it out to be (crotch shots!), but I didn't see him... next week it is, haha! After I gave Phil his late birthday card, I talked to Danielle and Grace about the addictive nature of Facebook: they tell me never to get on there since it sucks all your time away. I can believe it! (Grade 3 classmates contacting you, learning about high school friends' engagements / weddings on there.... it is CRAZY!)

Switched up things with people a little, which was cool. Citrus and Danielle sat in front of us, while Connie / Winnie / baby Megan / Cindy / Dianne sat in the row behind us. At one point during the service, Danielle was trying to make eye contact with Megan and wave hi. She wasn't noticing much, so Jeremy decided to be silly and pretend HE was Megan with a baby face and wave to match, haha. Danielle just smiled and shook her head, while I just playfully hit him on the arm and laughed: "Not YOU.. the baby!" He just laughed to himself for a bit, heh... at least he confirmed that he was going to Sunrise on Sunday! (definitely good to have a cool person there, haha) Mike was helping Sam's brother Jeremy do the Powerpoint for the service - maybe it's what he wants to do later on, or they had no one else to really help since the ten people who would know how to do it were already on stage! (LARGE worship team with everyone up there!) We had to place lit tealight candles in a tray full of water: lovely fire hazard, although not as bad as the times we were all sitting in the pews HOLDING lit candles and stuff!

After the service, I was going to look for someone when Karen Choo asked me for feedback on the refreshments she planned to serve next week. Apple cider is good, but not really seasonally appropriate; almond jello needs a break; and maybe the curry stuff can make a reappearance. She says she values my opinion since I have this long-time perspective - I guess it's true. Says she's seen the pictures from last weekend, which I wish I had a link to: maybe I'll ask my sister, since she'll be at church all night! Then again, she also gave me an open invitation to dinner at Pho on Friday nights since she / Jen / Andrea are usually there at 6-ish. We DID see them leave today while we were eating, and past history also tends to bear that out: I'll keep that noodle shop in mind, heh. Said hi to Eunice and Eddie, and asked Karen Lew if she was looking forward to the cruise: too far away, she says. I reminded her that we'd have to GET UP VERY EARLY - hopefully, we can sleep as soon as we're allowed into our rooms on the ship! Jon and I talked to Danielle about her dissertation and trip to Boston last week: 12 pages finished out of some insane number?! Man!

A bunch of us were talking about Sunrise Service, and Steph asked Darren whether it had been HIS car that had showed up JUST as we were all leaving for breakfast last year. (sparked by Danielle's announcement that SHE HAD TO GO PEE RIGHT NOW INSTEAD OF LOITERING AT VAN TECH!) Yup, and it was apparently all Joey's fault since he didn't react favorably to Erin calling him at 6 AM: "Why are you calling me NOW? Go away..." Joey told me that it must suck to live in Richmond when the service came around since we had to leave at 6 - Mike can just leave at 6:15, for example! Yeah, but we learn to deal with it! Ivan, young Jeremy, Esther, Danielle, Steph, Citrus, Eric, and I were sitting around discussing grad photos / Sharpies / the bra story. "Just try it in your room when you get home! See if your bra is aerodynamic! I think now that it'll just go PLOONK when you try to throw it anywhere!" The guys were very impressed with this advice to the ladies from our resident bra-thrower, haha... Citrus: "I should record this!" Anita was bugging her about it, but my sister wouldn't show her since she was married and might think non-charitable things!

I told Amos to look for me on Sunday since I had cookies for him and his brother. (and chocolate Easter eggs for the kids and others - hope they haven't melted too much in the apartment's heat!) On second thought, that maybe wasn't the greatest thing to say when everyone around him was participating in the 30-Hour Famine. Oh well... Vania and Isabel were eating giant strawberries and these big eggs that looked like marshmallows almost in front of Hilary, Margaret, Hien, Sarah, and others who were fasting too! (Sam, Joey, and others were discussing bubble tea in front of them!) I gave William a bit of advice (first time!), watched some of the guys play hockey downstairs (one of the bathrooms was out of paper towels), and told Jon to help Eric with the closing of the audio-visual equipment after they were done noodling on guitar and such. Nathan has been up for 36 hours in a row, with only a 7-minute break for sleep: that Langley drive is long, with highways and "I don't need to think about it" type of stuff. Dude, SLEEP!

Daniel was telling Esther that Chinese people looked younger than their age, so he used Eric as an example of a white man who looked his age. "How old are you... 30?" NO! As Eric told us, "I'm 25 and I look 30?! Oh my..." That was funny! Lesley encouraged Steph since she'd be staying at the church all night with the teens: the ability to pull (almost) all-nighters decreases steadily with age, and it takes way longer (a week?) to recover from just ONE, so you have to think about whether you want to do so! On the way home, Eric constantly thought he'd fall asleep, except at the gas station: he slapped himself in order to stay awake, and Jon offered to do the same. NO, IT'LL MAKE HIM FLINCH AND WE MIGHT DIE! I just contented myself with clapping close to his face, heh. He went to bed at 2 and woke up at 9, an hour after his alarm... I guess that wasn't enough sleep, or maybe running didn't help with that. (a week from Sunday!)

I suppose the stress around planning the movie didn't help, since he couldn't contact my sister till 12:20 or so! (she was downstairs at Viv's, and didn't leave her phone on... she also thought he'd pick me up first before going back to get her, which wouldn't make sense!) Jon said something about death coming, so I said that reminded me of a song called Death Comes Ripping: he thought it was by Cannibal Corpse, but I said that it was by the Misfits. (of course he's heard of them!) He was trying to determine who would go to Sunrise Service this year: all the hardcore people like the Richmond Crew, Joey, Phil, Grace, some of the teens, Mike, etc. Then he figured that Jeremy wasn't coming, so I said that he'd told me earlier tonight that he was: yay, one more for our numbers! ABC roundabout, here we come with Vanessa! Now I'm just updating Corey on things, having threated Eric with a bunch of the usual before HE went to bed. (he gets on MSN and sends me something, so of course my instant response is "GO TO BED." hahaha)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home