Sunday, February 25, 2007

War, evil dictators, movie death scenes, McDonald's Breakfast Burrito

Today's Prostrate Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

During the first day of the U.S. Civil War Battle of Chickamauga (September 18, 1863), Union soldier Arthur van Lisle fell wounded on the battlefield. He later described his ordeal:

"I fall. I try to rise, but cannot... My thigh is torn, the bone is shattered, although I did not feel the shot that struck me. Here I lie among the dead and wounded. Our men have fallen back. Over our prostrate forms, the bullets are hissing and shells shrieking. In the endeavor to ease my cramped position, my wounded limb becomes twisted and, oh, the agony of pain which I now feel for the first time! What horror surrounds me! Here I am, helpless and bleeding, my flesh lacerated, my thigh bone broken; the dead so ghastly, the dying and the wounded all about me; my regiment falling back, the enemy advancing. What will become of me?"

Culled from: Portraits of the Civil War

**********************************************************************

Arthur survived his ordeal, though I would imagine his leg did not... though it doesn't actually say this in the excerpt.

*******

The Comtesse Reviews...

Portraits of the Civil War In Photographs, Diaries, and Letters by Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod

I just finished reading this coffee table book, which provides a decent overview of most of the major Civil War battles, but is very short on detail. Probably unrealistically, I expected that there would be a great many more stories to go along with the vintage photographs. But in many cases, the diary or letter excerpts are completely unrelated to the photographs. And there really aren't that many photographs, anyway - far fewer than I expected. I would imagine there are other books out there on the Civil War that are much more comprehensive than this one. But if you can pick it up at Barnes & Noble in the bargain bin (as I did), it's not a bad buy.

*******

Ruthless Rhyme Du Jour!

I've been reading Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes and More Ruthless Rhymes by Harry Graham, a collection of hysterical poems originally published in 1899, and I thought I'd share with you some of my favorites.

MISFORTUNES NEVER COME SINGLY

Making toast at fireside,
Nurse fell in the grate and died;
And, what makes it ten times worse,
All the toast was burned *with* nurse.

Ruthless Rhymes For Heartless Homes

*******

Wretched Recommendations!

Karen has a book recommendation for us:

The Most Evil Dictators In History by Shelley Klein

"Here's a great book for you -- The Most Evil Dictators in History. I happened to pick it up at Barnes and Noble -- on their BARGAIN table. Really, more people need to have this on their coffee tables. Imagine the looks on the faces of your guests as they sort through your lovely books on Tuscany, and fine art and then... there it is... Hitler's eyes staring at you, Stalin's sneer taking you in.... Really, it's a must-have for all fans of evil people and their sickening deeds. (I keep mine in my night table by my bed. You never know when I'll need a little anecdote from Saddam Hussein to help lull me into Lala Land)."

*******

Morbid Link Du Jour!

The Movie Death Database catalogues your favorite scenes from every film - the death scenes!

Thanks to Elizabeth for the link.


McDonald's Breakfast Burrito

It was in the late seventies, shortly after McDonald's had introduced the Egg McMuffin, that the food giant realized the potential of a quick, drive-thru breakfast. Soon, the company had developed several breakfast selections, including the Big Breakfast with eggs, hash browns, and sausage. Eventually one out of every four breakfasts eaten on the go would be served at McDonald's - an impressive statistic indeed. The newest kid on the McBreakfast block is this morning meal in a tortilla, first offered on the menu in 1991.

4 ounces breakfast sausage
1 tablespoon minced white onion
1/2 tablespoon minced mild green chilies (canned)
4 eggs, beaten
salt
pepper
4 8-inch flour tortillas
4 slices American cheese

On the side
salsa

1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, then add the onion. Sauté the sausage and onion for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sausage is browned.
2. Add the mild green chilies, and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
3. Pour the beaten eggs into the pan, and scramble the eggs with the sausage and vegetables. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Heat up the tortillas by steaming them in the microwave in moist paper towels or a tortilla steamer for 20 to 30 seconds.
5. Break each slice of cheese in half and position two halves end-to-end in the middle of each tortilla.
6. To make the burrito, spoon 1/4 of the egg filling onto the cheese in a tortilla. Fold one side of the tortilla over the filling, then fold up about two inches of one end. Fold over the other side of the tortilla to complete the burrito (one end should remain open). Serve hot with salsa on the side, if desired. Makes 4 burritos.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home