Saturday, February 24, 2007

How can you be racist already at seven years old?!

When Michelle picked me up, her kids Ryan and Ethan said hi and promptly informed me that they were discussing STAR WARS. Ryan claimed to have seen the old version of that movie when his mom was a very little girl... haha, we didn't think so! Then he started spelling every word of his sentences out - good way to teach the kids how to spell correctly! He wanted to be a black guy and his brother to be a white guy, then they could be purple and yellow. It took a couple of minutes for me and Michelle to understand that they were talking about the lightsabre colors, and not skin color.

Later, he started singing Christmas carols: he's either really early or really late! I don't like out-of-season Christmas songs, but knew that little kids will fixate on something for a few minutes and then move on to something else. (yay for short attention spans!) Then he said hip-hop was bad because someone on TV said so... but proceeded to do "I like to move it, move it!" for a few minutes. Mike and Joey have taught a few of the kids some "Rockaway, move the muscle!" pop music thing, so Ryan did that for a few minutes too... interesting car ride! (at least David said hi to me when we picked him up... the kids have something in common because they're all fatherless)

During Awana, Ian and Ryan were laughing really hard at Mike's changing facial expressions when he moved his hand up and down in front of his face. I asked Mike what he was teaching the kids, and he said that everything was a barrel of laughs to Ian... he told me to watch his making a sad face. Ian laughed, with what Mike later described to Benedict as "a very scary zombie laugh." Amos heard one of the kids say that he hated black people, and asked if I'd heard it: nope. He repeated it, and added: "Racist already..." I know! *sigh*

At craft time, I was able to talk to Ian (who is my fave kid now, haha) about fans and his "funny big name." Huge capital I, haha. Asked if his brother would like the fan, and he said that Sean hadn't seen them before! Smart kid, since he's not going to give either the foot fan or the pig fan to his brother! Sean would probably destroy them! Not that he's destructive from what I've seen, but I guess he wouldn't know how to deal with that. Ian also fanned a marker since he felt like it, and gave his pig interesting colors. Good times! Mike wondered why they were called blackboards since they're now all green: not sure. Julie told me that she was going to Tokyo and other places for three weeks with her mom and grandma: she'll visit her dad in Hong Kong, too!

The Awana dinner was fun, too... "team time" in new small groups, pasta, cheesecake, chicken, potatoes, almond fruit salad, and lots more food. Margaret was limping, and decided that she wasn't sitting down anymore since it hurt and gave her lots of pain. She got offended when Tina saw her "MK" clasp and asked "Mike?!" (her brother) People still think she looks like Michael... not so much now! I told Chrystal about the peppermint bark that I bought: she LOVES that stuff, so maybe I will buy her some for her next birthday in April, hehe. Melia, Winnie, Lanie, Alysia, Sabrina, Emily, and Chrystal are in my small group - of course it'll take time for us to feel comfy with one another, but it'll come! (obviously the three cousins know each other best) Said hi to Anita and Jeff, too.

I accidentally called Jason by his brother's name, possibly because he was writing "Amosie" on the whiteboard with a permanent marker) Auntie Vivian let me borrow some Awana resources, including a shiny new Awana store merchandise book! There were some interesting magazines outside the church library, including a CHRISTIANITY TODAY issue on sex standards... no, I am not a pervert! I went upstairs to find Eric viewing stuff on his laptop while Benedict and Danny looked on. Asked if they'd seen Henry, only to get the answer "He left... ask Rebecca since she might be downstairs in the kitchen!" So I went downstairs to do just that, only to see her on the way up the stairs. Explained to her what had happened - she called Henry, who came back from seven minutes away since he forgot. It was a pretty silent car ride home (although he did apologize!) except for Praise 106.5 which played a bunch of familiar songs. While dropping me off, he apologized again (I acknowledged it once more) when I made a special point of thanking him for the ride... I usually do, but this was more special, haha. Next week it is!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home