Thursday, February 22, 2007

24 missed calls... how sweet! / Taiwan / McDonald's Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce

Finally home! I have missed calls, too... that's the magical cool number, haha! Half of them are from 416-224-0391 (Ontario scammers, I bet), and I have a few from 407-888-4444 in Florida. That number combines good luck and death in the Chinese tradition, for sure... creepy! There's also a few from a 604 number which has called me for the past week. Well, I'm not answering since I don't recognize the number except from seeing it on my Caller ID 30 times in seven days!)

Since I am home, I'll tell you about Corey's first impressions of Taiwan last weekend in conversation form!

Session Start (flamsterette_x@yahoo.com:Corey): Sat Feb 17 01:57:37 2007
[01:57:43] Corey: (butt)
[01:57:59] Flami: What the heck are you doing?!
[01:58:22] Corey: sending you a butt icon, but it didn't send a butt icon
[01:59:06] Corey: I can't understand anything anyone says here
[02:04:21] Flami: there you go... you don't have any experience in Chinese / Shanghaiese / whatever dialect or language they use there, I suppose
[02:04:44] Corey: Mandarin :P
[02:05:05] Corey: there is also Taiwanese, but apparently they don't know it... sounds like people mainly use Mandarin
[02:19:12] Flami: ah, okay... if it sounds all nasal and such, then it's probably Mandarin.. not that I know what Taiwanese sounds like, but trust me when I say I've had experience with Mandarin
[02:28:33] Corey: it is Mandarin :P
[02:28:43] Corey: I wouldn't describe it as nasally..
[02:32:26] Corey: maybe you're thinking of the different tones
[02:35:50] Flami: eh, probably..
[02:37:22] Flami: so... taking lots of pictures?
[02:46:29] Corey: uh... none yet :P they took a picture of me with like 20 other people last night
[02:56:08] Flami: cool! who was there?
[02:58:30] Corey: a bunch of family.. aunts and uncles and stuff
[02:59:13] Flami: so how do you communicate with them if you can't understand anything they say?
[03:03:12] Corey: uh, I just kinda sit there until I hear English :P
[03:03:21] Corey: a few people can speak English
[03:06:30] Corey: sounds like it's dinner time
[03:07:14] Flami: okay then... bedtime for me, so talk to you later
Session Close (Corey): Sat Feb 17 03:08:22 2007


Session Start (flamsterette_x@yahoo.com:Corey): Sat Feb 17 04:18:10 2007
[04:18:13] Corey: lots of fireworks going off outside now :P

Session Start (flamsterette_x@yahoo.com:Corey): Sun Feb 18 01:07:15 2007
[01:07:23] Corey: I've had bubble tea twice now, and it's probably better than YOUR bubble tea, so :P :P :P :P :P
[01:09:19] Flami: Plates mean nothing!: OH YEAH! CHINESE NEW YEAR! CALENDAR AHOY!
[01:12:30] Flami: well, it might be... isn't that where it originated?
[01:12:56] Corey: yes, so that means you suck and I'm cool
[01:13:07] Corey: that stuff is pretty good, though :P
[01:30:41] Flami: you sound like me... I say that kind of thing to my sister all the time: "I'm real and you're fake!"
[01:35:43] Corey: sounds like I'll get more of that from the good place tonight.. I don't know what it's called, but it's supposed to be the best bubble tea place, I guess. that stuff is kinda weird since you're chewing a drink... pretty good, though
[01:47:43] Flami: you're not really chewing the DRINK part... it's just the pearls / jelly that you're chewing :P
[01:51:45] Corey: yes, but they're in the drink and come out from the straw :P
[01:54:15] Flami: that still doesn't count
[01:56:52] Corey: close enough!!!
[02:11:07] Flami: yeah... whatever... that's like saying that congee is a drink, when it's really a food :P
[02:13:45] Corey: I just held Jane down and tickled her while holding both her arms away so she couldn't block it! :P she loves that
[02:24:05] Corey: she says she'll make me eat mushrooms
[02:38:52] Flami: COREY! THAT IS BAD!
[02:39:50] Flami: DO IT, JANE! Make him eat mushrooms! :D
[03:12:37] Corey: ha ha, she can't see that
[03:12:46] Corey: well, unless she comes back in :P
[03:12:56] Corey: I had an octopus ball today :P
[03:13:08] Corey: and Jane had this blood pudding stuff I wouldn't try
[03:13:17] Corey: it's on that page
[03:14:01] Corey: today, we had Chinese New Year dumplings and some sort of thing with red bean paste inside, which is the traditional breakfast on New Year's, I guess.... pretty good stuff
[03:14:40] Corey: last night, we had crab and shrimp and some other things... my stomach wasn't happy with me after that... but other than that, food here has been okay so far :P no problems with the water or anything like that
[03:14:46] Corey: the air here sucks, though
[03:15:32] Corey: and traffic is insane... people on motorcycles zooming around everywhere, and people basically make turns without waiting for other cars to not be in the way... I'm still not sure how the hell they aren't running into each other every other car
[03:18:23] Corey: and in the car, all you ever hear is "Always open.. Seven, eleven!!"
[03:18:34] Corey: 7-11 seems to advertise quite heavily on the radio :P
[03:18:44] Corey: and 7-11 doesn't even sell gas here! or Slurpees
[03:18:57] Corey: they don't even have a soda fountain thing :P
[03:21:15] Corey: probably stands out more on the radio since they sing that little jingle in English :P but they do repeat it a lot
[03:27:03] Flami: hahaha... I don't think I'd eat a whole lot of blood pudding, but I could have had it before
[03:28:21] Flami: ... why am I up now at 3:30 AM? I need to be up again in 5 hours... goodnight :P
[03:41:32] Corey: but it's only 7 something PM :P
[03:41:34] Corey: talk to you later


Top Secret Recipes version of McDonald's Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce by Todd Wilbur

This is a clone of one of the sauces that you can get with your order of McNuggets at the world's largest hamburger outlet. Now, instead of hoarding those little green packs from the fast food chain, you can make up a batch of your own to use as a dip for store-bought nuggets, chicken fingers, fried shrimp, and tempura. Or you can use it as a sauce for a sweet and sour dish that includes pineapple, Bell pepper, onion, and sautéed chicken or pork. It's a simple recipe that requires a food processor or a blender, and the sauce will keep well for some time in the fridge.

1/4 cup peach preserves
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
5 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons water

1. Combine all ingredients except the water in a food processor or a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth.
2. Pour mixture into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add water, stir, and bring mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for five minutes, stirring often. When the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat and let it cool. Store sauce in a covered container in the refrigerator. Makes about 3/4 cup.


Your Ex is Dependent

Your ex is dependent on others from almost everything - and has trouble accepting responsibility.
Your ex is not able to be independent and fears being alone.
People with dependent personality disorder feel helpless when a relationship ends and need constant reassurance.
Sound at all familiar?



You Are Great With Money

You know the value of a dollar - and you save and spend wisely.
By living below your means, you've set yourself up for a rich future.
And while it may hurt to sacrifice now, you'll probably have plenty of money later on.
You're on your way to riches - just keep it up.


Eh... sometimes yes, sometimes no!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home