Monday, February 12, 2007

Blogger tagging, uneviction, water torture, and McDonalds Apple Muffins

Hey, I can now tag my Blogger posts! I don't think I'll do that since I tend to go crazy with even short labels, and that's not a good thing when you consider the sheer number of posts I have! However, I still want to know how to search for more than one word at once: time to put in another message on those forums, and hope THIS one gets answered! At least now I can have more than 50 search results show up, and even more than 300 since it spills over into a new page! Speaking of searches, I need to search for a WHOLE WORD now... no more half-words. :(

Today, I learned that the building management cashed the cheque for missing funds, and I shouldn't be evicted any more. But I still want something in writing... given the shady history of this management company, who could blame me?


Today's Ice-Cold Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

A common torture technique in American prisons in the 19th century was to lock troublesome prisoners into a shower cubicle under a spray of ice-cold water. Such a punishment could prove fatal - in 1858, Simon Moore, an inmate of Auburn prison, New York State, collapsed and died after half an hour in these conditions. In 1882, all cold water torture was abolished in American prisons.

Culled from: The History of Torture

**********************************************************************

... until 2003 when I'm sure it was brought back into vogue in those top-secret Eastern European CIA prisons. That's just a hunch, of course... I don't know for sure... yet. I'm sure my time will come.

*******

Morbid Link Du Jour!

MFDJ's good friend Adi has written to let me know that he has finished updating his wonderfully disturbing sites:

"All three sites (the fabulously queasotic Adipocere; the lunch-dropping Mausoleum Problems; and the strangely soothing Cemetery Monuments) have had their respective links pages completely updated. All links have been verified to see if they work; dead links have been either reconnected, or dropped if truly gone. Many new links, especially on the Adipocere site, have been added.

"In addition, Adipocere has a smart new index page, replacing the Rube Goldberg-like nightmare that it had become."

Please pay a visit - you'll be glad (or, perhaps, sorry) you did!

*******

"My Brush With Morbidity" by Drew

"I live in a smaller city, around 30,000 people, in Canada. I was walking home from school one day in the winter months, following a trail beside the railroad tracks like I did every day. When I finally came to where the tracks met the road, I found police tape encircling my neighborhood. My first thought was that of murder.

"But it wasn't the case. As I came home, my father (who was on the afternoon shift) told me what had happened.

"Some guy had apparently tried to blow his own house up, and he succeeded. The only problem was that he was inside it when it happened. Apparently, my father heard a loud explosion and felt the whole house shake. He was definitely startled, and took a look outside to see that the rear overhang on our garage was literally bent down at a 90-degree angle, and the barbecue was pushed halfway across the deck. Yet, he couldn't see anything else. He followed where he thought he heard the explosion from, which took him a good distance away. It was maybe 400 meters away, to our neighbor's neighbor: what he saw was gruesome. There was no house, just a hole in the ground. Television sets, VCRs, everything was hanging from trees.

"The man was shot through the window of his minivan, and he was lying inside it. So my dad and another guy took a look at him, and he told me that the guy was burned all over. He had flaps of skin peeled from his body, with various large wooden spikes sticking into him all over. The explosion shot pieces of 2 by 4's into him. He was definitely a bloody mess, but still alive and conscious. They pulled him to safety, and he was picked up by an ambulance and survived.

"I heard all this and had to go see the damage. There was a TV in a tree... and a hole in the ground, everything else burned. The houses beside it were amazingly unharmed except for the black scorch marks, and no one was hurt but the owner. I may or may not have climbed into the hole and took a souvenir after all the cops had left.

"It turns out he filled his house with natural gas, gasoline, and gunpowder before his impending divorce. That might not be true, but whatever it was... it blew the house and foundation into oblivion, and he did it.

"I'll never forget that day."

I can definitely see why!


McDonald's Apple Muffin

Yield: 24 copycat Servings

21 oz Apple pie filling
3 Eggs
2 teaspoons Apple pie spice
18 oz Yellow cake mix

Beat all together with electric mixer on medium-speed. Divide batter equally between 24 paper-lined cupcake wells. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool before peeling off paper liners.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home