Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Hockey improvement, Biblical books (sorta?), earthquakes / trauma / bombing

Hey, the Canucks just beat Dallas 2-1 in a shootout! That means we're 5-0 after Christmas, which is a definite improvement on what our standings were earlier in the season! (we beat Calgary the other day, too... for the third time in a row, haha) The Canadians just beat the US in the World Juniors, too... we play Russia in the final on Friday! :D

I should really start on reading the books Nathan and Randal gave me for my birthday. Actually, I'd made a note to myself that I should read the one that Randal gave me especially, since God's Message for Each Day: Wisdom from the Word of God was dated and all. Here it is the third day of the new year, and I still haven't done that yet! I've flipped through it, but that doesn't really count... I think I need to do SOME Bible Study too, though I'm not sure what to do. (Chapter 2 or bust?) Eh well, maybe later tonight or something... although it could be argued that I need to read up more on the Bible in general. For some reason, my conversation tonight with Corey has focused on the Tower of Babel and Daniel in the lions' den / furnace! Maybe it's because I told him that Olde Charlie Farquharson's Testament: Perry Sound Version is hilarious, heh. (that's the book Nathan gave me!)


Today's Badly Burned Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

An earthquake leveled the city of Calabria, Italy and more than 180 towns in the area around it on February 4, 1783. Huge fissures opened up in the earth, some of them 225 feet deep and 150 feet wide. Many people and livestock were swallowed up by these great chasms, from which powerful geysers of boiling water soon began spewing. Incredibly, the water lifted out some of those trapped in the fissures, a few of them still alive. Though badly burned, some of these lucky souls actually survived the quake.

Elsewhere, rivers and streams dammed up by debris created a wave of mud seventy yards wide and fifteen feet deep that flooded the town of Scilla. Fires broke out in the ruined cities and towns, and aftershocks plagued the area. The earthquake killed some 30,000 outright, while 20,000 to 30,000 others died as a result of the aftershocks and the famine that followed.

Culled from: The Pessimist's Guide To History

**********************************************************************

It's a Plethora Of Viscera!!!

At the request of Magnoire on the MFDJ Discussion Group, I have added the "Real Friends Help Friends Move Bodies" shirt that I introduced a couple of days ago onto additional merchandise, including mugs, magnets, stickers, and more.

I also expanded my Café Press shop (which also has a changed URL) to include several more items, including a set of merchandise dedicated to one of my all-time favorite MFDJ quotes - from this November 17, 2002 fact:

"A Cambodian woman who murdered her husband by axing him repeatedly in the groin before running off with her son-in-law has been sentenced to 15 years in jail. But 35-year-old Chhoeun Sovann, from Kompong Thom province 100 km (60 miles) northeast of Phnom Penh, is not yet behind bars. Six years after the murder, prosecutors say they cannot find her. The verdict was handed down in absentia. In a case shocking even by Cambodian standards, Chhoeun Sovann set about battering her husband to death with the blunt end of an axe, the blows falling mainly on his groin. "She fell in love with her son-in-law, which was against her husband's wishes. Finally, she had to kill her husband so she could escape with her lover," female presiding judge Sim Samoeu told Reuters. "It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals," the judge said. "After hours of deliberation, I decided to punish her with 15 years in jail." She also awarded the victim's family compensation of two million riels ($500) -- nearly double the average Cambodian annual wage. Under Cambodia's notoriously erratic and ineffective judicial system, trials in absentia are relatively common, as are cases of convicted criminals enjoying their freedom for years after receiving hefty jail sentences."

Here's my silly version of the "Smashing Genitals" quote. If you forget the URLs to any of the stores, you can find them on the Plethora Of Viscera page at The Asylum Eclectica.

Proceeds from the sale of any items from either the Café Press store or the Juror2.Net Ebay Store go towards running the Asylum Eclectica website and the Morbid Fact Du Jour newsletter. As always, if you have suggestions for improvements or changes, please send them my way. Thank you!

*******

"My Brush With Morbidity" by Joseph

"The date is October 23, 1983. I was stationed onboard the USS IWO JIMA, and it was early. At about 6:30, word is passed to prepared to receive incoming wounded. During the prior months, we started receiving almost daily announcements to prepare to receive incoming wounded, with one or two wounded Marines coming aboard. This day was different.

"At a few minutes before 7:00, I was called to the bridge and asked to direct the Navy contingent on a rescue effort, and to get 50 volunteers. I was then told that the Marine Barracks had been bombed. By 7:30, my volunteers and I were leaving the ship. The hangar bay was already filling up with wounded. My understanding is that later that morning, the entire hangar bay was filled.

"We arrived at the Beirut airport and immediately went to the barracks site, which was a converted office building. I believe it was about 6 stories, with an atrium in the center. Its interior was adorned with marble. The building was at one time by the Lebanese equivalent of the FAA.

"In the basement was a galley, where the morning crew was preparing breakfast. For the most part, officers were located on the first floor, and enlisted on the upper floors. The Marine Medical Staff was on the first floor.

"We arrived to find the building collapsed on itself. I rounded up all the Navy personnel and assigned them sectors. Marines were already on the building pulling out survivors, as were local civilians. We established a triage area for the wounded, and a morgue site for the bodies.

"There were constant orders for silence so people could listen for noise from the rubble. There was occasion when we were ordered to halt work because of sniper fire, although I do not remember hearing any fire. After pulling out as many survivors as possible, we moved in heavy equipment to lift falling debris. I will not describe the bodies as I knew many of the men who died, but it was heartbreaking to lift a slab of concrete, to find the remains of good men flattened until the weight of the building. With each slab removed, we found more of our friends killed.

"The men in the basement were all killed, with the brunt of the debris having crushed them. Some men on the first floor were never found, having been literally blown apart. I have personally never known so many people killed at one time, and I hope never to have to see it again. I can only imagine the horrors of Sept. 11."

*******

Morbid Link Du Jour!

The Trauma Imagebank is a collection of fascinating trauma images - some gory, all interesting. Well worth a browse!

Link submitted by Borborygmy



BUFFY


You are Buffy! Smart, witty, and sometimes airheaded... but usually on top of things! Also very strong, physically and emotionally! +
Which Character from BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Are You the Most Like?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home