Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mike, B-Days, and LJ / Rotten fish CAN kill you! / Henry VIII / 2007 survey

Note to self: Go to store this week and get two birthday cards for Billie and Harmony (plus Billie's birthday present), at least five packs of stickers, three postcards, and a blank card for someone else. Also mail something to somebody, while you're at it.

Earlier today, I wished both David S. (omni_sinrilus) and Mike (stoneditaliano) a HAPPY BIRTHDAY via Myspace messages. Mike got back to me, saying that his girlfriend Christina (stinkystina) was trying to get him back on LJ... then he asked whether I still write on there. As proven by this entry and the hundreds before it on there... no. No, I do not. *sarcasm* Hahaha... I didn't tell him that, though! Of course I do... it still has fewer errors than Myspace blogging does! Then he replied to what I put as a response, saying that he thinks I'm one of the coolest people out there, and that he loves reading my funny stories. Cool stuff, and I'll friend him again on LJ even if he writes in leet speak a bunch of the time / never updates anymore. My eyes can always glaze over. ;)


Today's Rotten Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Three Thai men died while unloading rotting fish from a boat in Hutan Melintang near Teluk Intan. Another Thai man was almost overcome by fumes, but managed to crawl out of the boat's hold in time. The dead men were identified as Anaing, 24, Achin, 28, and Kajem Prasit, 27. Yong Thai, 31, managed to escape. The bodies of the dead men have been sent to the Teluk Intan Hospital. The incident happened at 11 AM when the four men were unloading fish from a fishing boat at the fish landing jetty there. One of them was then instructed to unload fish from the boat's hold, where there was also fish that was stale and rotting as they had been kept there for about 10 days.

"Upon entering the hold, he must have breathed fumes," Hilir Perak Deputy OCPD Supt Zainuddin said. When the three others heard their friend collapse in the boat's hold, they rushed down after him to help. One by one, they too collapsed. Fortunately, Yong Thai managed to crawl out and save himself. Investigations found that there were about 100 bags of rotting fish in the boat's hold, and that the air-conditioning system was not working. "Samples of their lung tissue have been sent to the Ipoh Chemistry Department for tests," he said. Yong Thai, when approached, said everything happened so fast that there was little time to do anything.

Culled from: The Star
Generously submitted by: Bruce T.

**********************************************************************

Really, you'd think they'd be immune to the fumes of rotten fish, considering the rather aromatic state of the Asian markets I've walked through. And, as a vegetarian, Asian markets are not my favorite places to visit.

*******

Wretched Recommendations!

Elsbeth has a film recommendation:

The Madness of Henry VIII (2006)

"Among other morbid but interesting facts were the open ulcerated sores on Henry's leg that oozed pus and just would NOT be healed. I think, because of the leg, his activity levels were severely curtailed. This caused him to gain so much weight that he eventually weighed in at 350 pounds, and had a 57-inch waist line. When he died, he weighed so much that he cracked the boards of his coffin. His blood dripped out and was licked up by the dogs. One of the weirder aspects of this is that it was predicted sometime before Henry's death. I think it was predicted by a disgruntled bishop, but don't hold me to that one."

Sounds fascinating!

*******

"My Brush With Morbidity" by Lorri

"I had my scalp 'degloved' in a car accident. The driver was drunk and going way too fast around a curve. I wasn't awake while I flew out the back window of the Camaro, but I did wake up upon landing 100 feet down a mountainside to find myself covered in blood unable to move. It was 5:45 AM, but it was a full moon that night. I held my hand up in front of my face, and it was bloodsoaked. I had blood, leaves, and dirt in my mouth. Apparently when I went out the window (from the front seat), my scalp caught the glass and framework of the back window, and tore from front to back. I know this because after being discharged from the hospital, I demanded my family take me to see the car. (it broke in half, the hood came off, and a door landed at the bottom of the mountain) My hair was still on the framework. I ended up with 40 staples and countless stitches underneath them. (I also fractured my neck) Needless to say, I have a pretty little scar that goes diagonally from the corner of my right eyebrow to the back of my left ear. I cut muscle and nerve, and have a small dent in my forehead near my hairline. I should probably be dead, but I'm still here suffering away with the rest of the world. HAHA."

Dude, I totally need to see that movie about Henry VIII... although I already knew about all the stuff mentioned in the recommendation. :D


Here's a 2007 survey:

2007 Survey

1. Will you be looking for a new job? Maybe.
2. Will you be looking for a new relationship? Perhaps.
3. New house? Not unless I seriously can't stay here anymore. Reminds me, I need to see about that $750 settlement for the "no heat" thing back in May... tomorrow?
4. What will you do differently in 2007? ("Do different"?! Good Lord... at least I changed the grammar on that one!) Sharing on a personal level, getting to the kids (NOT in a perverted way! :P), and I'm not sure what else...
5. New Years resolution? None, as those things are too damn easy to break! :P
6. What will you not be doing in 2007? Smoking and illicit vice!
7. Any trips planned? Nah, but you never know...
8. Wedding plans? HAHAHA, not for mine! (that I know of...)
9. What's on your calendar? Numbers and not a bunch of concrete plans.
10. What can't you wait for? Nothing, really. I would say Chung and Karen's wedding, but that'll just make me feel OLD!
11. What would you like to see happen differently? Certain interpersonal relationships.
12. What about yourself will you be changing? I can think of a couple of things...
13. What happened in 2006 that you didn't think would ever happen? People being too pushy about certain things.
14. Will you be nicer to the people you care about? How much nicer can I get?! (haha... sarcasm!) Seriously, I strive for that every time I see them... sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I fail miserably. :P
15. Will you dress differently this year than you did in 2006? Probably not... but you never know when COLOR may make its way into my wardrobe! (not that I dress like a total goth in all black or anything, though!)
16. Will you start or quit drinking? Neither.
17. Will you better your relationship with your family? Always room for improvement on that one... so we'll see.
18. Will you do charity work? Maybe.
19. Will you go to bars? Quite possibly, if the Whip / Dix are in my future! (I know they are in my brother's, haha)
20. Will you be nice to people you don't know? I usually am.
21. Do you expect 2007 to be a good year for you? It better be.
22. How much did you change from this time last year till now? Not much, really.
23. Do you plan on having a child? Since it would give my relatives a heart attack if I had a child without benefit of wedlock... no.
24.Will you still be friends with the same people you are friends with? Most likely!
25. Major lifestyle changes? Eh, probably not.
26. Will you be moving? See #3.
27. Any new pets? No, since most apartment complexes around here don't allow 'em.
28. What are your New Years Eve plans? You think I have any idea about it NOW?! You MUST be crazy!
29. Will you have someone to kiss at midnight? See above... but probably not.
30. Wish for 2007? All the usual stuff.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home