Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Character clarification and NOT making things up / KFC Extra Crispy

Ah, things are fine! I checked my phone just now and Eric had called - I wonder what he wanted. Better not have been to spoil the show for me, haha. (although I *did* try calling his cell before calling his house earlier tonight, so maybe that's what it was about) Randal emailed me back to say not to worry about it since he caught it on Channel 28 at 9. He inadvertently spoiled the end of the show for me, but that's what I get for checking my email and such during commercial breaks. :P At least I was able to clarify some character descriptions for him after I watched the rest of it, which I'm always happy to do: the person interrogated in his own house (Jack's brother, who is hiding a bunch of stuff from him), and the black guy in the detention facility. I wasn't about to tell him that he should have watched the torrent of the first four episodes first before catching this one, after all. ;)

Then I called my sister, who was in the middle of showing ski trip pictures to Mom... she'll upload them to Picasa later on. She had fun this weekend, which was cool. Steph grew all interested in the conversation when I told her that Randal had told me about the alternate time and channel for 24... oh shush. It's perfectly innocent email, after all. After that, I told my mom what "big baby" meant... of course, she thought I was making it up. *sigh* ("But I was just... you know..." "No, I don't!") Mom told me that I could have called her at work, and then said that they taped the episode for me... too bad I can't go back in time and ask her to tape the second two-hour episode, haha! Then I could give both tapes to a certain person, who'd better remember to let me know about Friday and Missions Fest! Cindy says going there changes your life: she met this Christian girl she last saw in high school there a couple years back, who initially thought she was a Jehovah's Witness! o_O (she doesn't know why people always seem to think that about her, either!)

I also had a reasonable conversation with Talia.. good, good. Always being away, eggs in six-packs, randomly giving brownies out to people on campus to use up a dozen eggs before they go bad, the Food Network, CSI, soap opera stuff on regular TV shows for ratings, random people on IM services, etc. Not too bad now that she isn't doing what she did before! (and being like Chris Sykes!)


KFC EXTRA CRISPY

After the Colonel perfected his original, he made a crispy recipe that was marinated first, then fried the conventional way. This one is double-dunked into the coating to give it a great taste.

1 whole frying chicken, cut up and marinated
6-8 cups shortening for cooking
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon Paprika
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/8 teaspoon Baking Powder

Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken pieces. Preheat the shortening in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees. Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and MSG). When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off. Working with one piece at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour. Be sure that each piece is coated very generously. Stack the chicken on a plate or cookie sheet until each piece has been coated. Drop the chicken, one piece at a time into the hot shortening. Fry half of the chicken at a time (4 pieces) for 12-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown. You should be sure to stir the chicken around halfway through the cooking time, so that each piece cooks evenly. Remove the chicken to a rack or towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home