Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Eric's hardware help, hard drive, Always Have A Happy Period, GrandMa's Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies

I was thinking about the computer hard drive offer, so I emailed Eric to ask him what he thought about my hard drive being one of two types, and what sort of memory sticks it would take. He replied later to tell me about Hardware Info, and suggested I download something that would tell him what he needed to know. So I did... apparently, my hard drive now would still be compatible with the offered one and wires. (maybe) I also just emailed the dude who offered it to me (gotta keep myself in the game) to ask him a few questions about it - brand, towers, stuff on it (if anything) - on my mind. Might as well do it via email, since I'll forget while on the phone. (I'm notoriously BAD for this, especially with people I don't know!)

Corey got on MSN from Texas since his dad managed to steal wireless access from a small spot at his grandparents' house. He reminded me that I needed RAM and not a gigantic hard drive. Yeah, I know... but the RAM can wait till later! This offer won't really stay around for much longer, or so I think.

Hey, the dude emailed me back already! Whoa. Apparently, it's a Seagate 300GB, 7200RPM drive with a 16MB cache, and it's pretty fast in general. He says there's no case on it, so I install it in my computer and I can do whatever I want with it. I'm thinking that it needs Windows and Firefox and some other programs, but I can probably get someone to do that for me if / when I get this thing! (I don't trust myself with installing Windows... actually, I have no disk for it!) At least I compiled a list of programs on my hard drive earlier tonight in preparation for this.

Always maxipads are cool and all, but their new slogan is NOT impressing me! "Have a happy period - Bonne et heureuse semaine"?! I don't THINK so! A good and happy week (literal translation of the French) isn't what I associate with that time of the month, thank you very much! UGH!


GrandMa's Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies

GrandMa's Cookie Company was founded back in 1914 by Foster Wheeler, but it wasn't until 1977 that the company introduced the popular Big Cookie. This large, soft cookie comes two to a pack and is offered in several varieties, including oatmeal raisin. Now you can bake up a couple batches all your own with this spiffy kitchen clone. Just be sure not to overdo it in the oven. You want these cookies soft and chewy when cool - just like a happy grandma would make 'em - so take them out when they are just beginning to turn light brown around the edges.

1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups oats (not instant)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Combine 1/2 cup raisins with water in a food processor and blend on high speed for about 1 minute or until very smooth.
3. Combine this raisin puree with the vegetable shortening, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix well with electric mixer until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Pour this dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix well until ingredients are incorporated. Mix in 1/2 cup raisins.
5. Roll 3 tablespoon-size portions of the dough into a ball in your hands and press to 1/2-inch flat on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, or the cookies will not be chewy. Store in a sealed container. Makes 16 to 18 cookies.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home