Sunday, November 19, 2006

My high school classmate now has a Grey Cup ring!

My siblings picked me up this morning to go to church, and I set Steph to work signing birthday cards. She did good work on them, since she finished just as we pulled into a parking space at church. (after turning on 11th to get to 10th, we noted that the construction for the "Canada Line" was now done... HAHAHA, poor Mom!) I went into the sanctuary and saw baby Nicholas, so said hi to him. His mom Helen invited me to take a seat, so I figured I'd sit with the babies this week. I gave her some birthday cards for herself, Nicholas, and our friend Lauren... and gave one to Maxine for her husband Tim since he was busy with toddler Joshua. After service, I went downstairs to park my stuff in the toddler room before going outside to give Margaret and Melia their birthday cards. Talked to Mike and Citrus about hard drives, who confirmed that new hard drives do cost less than $80 in this city: I hope my computer problem is just with the hard drive and not about the external tower case! Bugged Sam and Darren about their driving while Steph asked them about the hockey pool, then said bye to baby Hannah who just got over a cold. Asked what Jon was doing on Saturday, but he has no idea... if he doesn't remember my whereabouts that night, I'll KILL HIM! (Steph has Floodlight... sigh!) The wind was bothering Jeremy's neck, so he went to use other people as a windbreak: good idea!

Went to the toddler Sunday School, where I helped with the kids. Little Sean spilled crayons all over the floor, but there was nothing I could do about it. Auntie Fonda told the others that Sean wasn't quite like them, so that seemed to be okay. He seemed more secure with me since he felt like staying with me for a few minutes before going off to do other stuff. Little Amanda is really talkative in English, but we can't understand her babble! After that, I talked to the teens for a bit before I went upstairs to find my siblings, who were with my grandma and mom. I talked to the maternal units for a while before my sibs and I headed to Nathan's.

Found out that Erin's almost done at L'Arche, but is enjoying herself in the city, so may not come back till March. Steph said something about pumping herself up: Jon thought she meant country music (OH NO!), and I thought she meant breast implants! She looked at me strangely and promptly told me that Rachel remembered my big boobs... uh, thanks. They'd seen this dragon shirt in Seattle yesterday, but didn't buy it since they had none in my size... just the really tight stuff so it wouldn't fit me. But at least I know the general names of the NFL teams when they mentioned it on the radio, unlike Rachel: they were outside a sports store and noticed a sign cheering on the Seahawks, so Rachel asked Steph who they were, haha! We also discussed the general whereabouts of Chinese Eric: I can't do anything about his MSN act of "I won't talk to you," but he better make himself available if he wants to go to Jon's birthday thing on Saturday!

Nathan and Jeremy weren't at the house yet, but pulled up just as Jon was going to let us in. Jeremy started cooking garlic, oil, chicken, and marinade... then we all said hi to Nathan's dad, who helped us find various essential items like the rice cooker / lots of bottled water / cutting board. (lightly steaming broccoli isn't the recommended boiling for one minute, after all!) Jon noticed at least ten huge containers of cashews in the kitchen, and asked Nathan about them: his dad is going to give them to various people as gifts when the family goes to Hong Kong over Christmas, so they're untouchable! Well, we hoped that they'd been on sale when he bought them! I asked Jen about her blog: she found it weird that I couldn't get in. since she likes restricting reader access. She can write more freely if she wants, I pointed out. So then when I got home, I tried switching my blog to the new Google beta version: I can't, since mine is a large blog, but apparently I can do so later. FINE, THEN!

Jen showed up later, and so did Christon: he'd pre-ordered his new Nintendo Wii (Eric wanted reviews on that later), so had fun creating his own mini-me character. It comes with some games and one controller / nunchuks... you have to move the controller where you want your guy to go on the screen. We laughed at the "personal space" warnings, and the various options given for each facial feature in a character. (no lipstick or eyeshadow for the guys' characters since that's just WRONG!) Alan and Ricky came over separately in the middle of all this, and joined in the fun. Jon and Jen went to the liquor store (after checking out their hours online) to get some more beer to supplement Jeremy's homebrew, but were back in time for lunch. Jen misheard Jon saying something about Jer cooking upstairs as "Jericho," heh.

After a while, Jeremy told us lunch was ready: it would only cost $2 a head... cheap is good, and the way I like it! (especially with the state of my wallet these days!) We all ate downstairs and then pigged out on junk food and pop while watching the football game. During breaks, we admired Nathan's knives and swords from China: good thing he got those BEFORE 9/11! (he was taking one out to show Ricky, and stabbed himself with it, oops) He also has a mace or something by his old TV... wow! Steph checked hockey pool trades and stuff online, while Jon checked his email and other things too. I didn't get any kimchi since I didn't see it, but maybe next time! Jon and Jeremy had five bottles of beer between them, one being a beer which apparently was similar to cheddar cheese. No, we did NOT want that one... nor did Steph want Jeremy to breathe on her after he ate some dried durian slices! Steph said Mom contributed a little bag of Halloween candy: she told her that BC's color was orange, so the wrappers worked for the purpose of cheering our team on!

Someone found an old COSMO magazine lying around, and asked Nathan where he got that from: probably Michelle, haha. I spent some of the game reading that... it is SO focused on sex, heh. Some of the stories in the "Tell Us Your Steamy Stories!" section about cheating on your partner made me wonder what was wrong with some people. Interesting read in any event, but I don't think I'd subscribe to it or anything. Javier Glatt of the Lions reminded me of Harvey Glatman the serial killer, and that was only because the names are kinda similar! When the commentators mentioned that Bobby Singh would go in for somebody, my sibs and I all invoked RICHMOND POWER! I then told everyone that I used to know him in high school: maybe I'll bring an annual to show Jeremy sometime, haha. (Friday, maybe?) Heh, he even signed at least two of them! Interesting guy, for sure...

Steph made a joke about Double D (Dave Dickenson - starting quarterback of three, who has his first Grey Cup ring now as a starter) having bounce, but nobody heard what she said. So then she repeated it, but nobody was too impressed. Jeremy was more impressed when I went over and sat on my brother as he was checking out stuff online. Jon called Steph's attention to it, so she sat on me. I told Jeremy that he could see the sibling love and affection right here, haha. Sometimes they squish ME, so all is fair. The halftime show was pretty good, even if Nelly Furtado and everyone else were all wearing winter jackets since it was below freezing in Winnipeg! Christon agreed that it was better than the Montreal Alouettes offense! (even if the token Asian Jason Chiu was on the team) That brought back memories of last year's show for Steph: my dad was NOT impressed with the Black-Eyed Peas being risqué! "Who are these people? Hmph! I'll lock them up!"

The game was mostly won by field goals, although a nice touchdown or two would have been very nice. It was 25-14, so no 90-2 score like Nathan was predicting. No, it's not possible to have that score, but it was cool. (with the Ottawa Renegades, a score CLOSE to that would have been entirely possible!) Isabel got home a while before the game ended (Jen left midway through the second quarter), and promptly knocked over two piles of things in precarious positions around the room: hey, at least Nathan then found a CD that he'd been looking for! (he always finds something positive!) Alan burped a lot: oh my. At least he excused himself, and then was sleeping at random intervals through the game... but then he falls asleep anytime / anywhere! Jon and I finished Jen's can of Kilkenny, which had a ball in it for some strange reason. o_O

When BC won the game, we were so engrossed in watching the celebrations ("the Grey Cup snapped?!") that we didn't notice the time. The reporters got doused with champagne, and there were LOTS of people on the field: players, girlfriends, wives, etc. ORANGE AND WHITE! Mom called Jon to see where we were: he told her that we were leaving. Then he went upstairs to help rinse beer bottles when we were already late, sigh. We finally got going and made it to the Keg in 19 minutes: good thing we had no long lights, and a bottle of water for Grandma since the Keg didn't serve water-based drinks!

When we walked into the restaurant, a bunch of people waved at Steph. She didn't recognize them at first, but we went over: they were Rachel, her sister Lisa, and her parents. Turns out that it's Rachel's mom's birthday today, so they were celebrating. We talked for a bit (Rachel looks different in the dark restaurant?!) before excusing ourselves to find our family. Then we attempted to score some brownie points with Grandma by talking to her in Chinese, especially since Cousin Aaron stood her up again on Thursday. She wasn't impressed when Steph told her that she could accompany Jon while he did his homework at the pub: "Who drinks beer with their grandma?!" (some European people do...) We told her that "the tall white guy with the beard" makes his own beer, haha.

Rachel's family came over later to talk to us some more: Rachel's going to Fort McMurray in Alberta soon, whoa. Pat and Vanessa know her too, heh. After they left, we talked about the Harmony Bear that our parents got: Jon didn't even ASK them to buy it! She's coming in on December 19, and Dave's parents want us all to come to their place for dinner on Christmas Eve. Ack! LOTS OF SOCIAL INTERACTION! The dinner was cool, and the steak was good stuff. Now I'm just home attempting to catch up on my friends page. LONG POST.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home