Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pho Thai Son and THE UNBREAKABLE POPSICLE STICK GANG

Note: LJ Future Son / LJ as a reality show / LJ party / LJ fanciful LOTR career blogquizzes. (by Josh, Liz, and Elara)


I rushed out of the house and had to wait ten minutes for a bus: good thing I had my Urban Legends book with me! Then I had to wait 15 minutes for a B-Line, and a while for the other bus.. this made me at least half an hour late for dinner at Pho Thai Son with Jon and Jeremy. Note to self in case I ever go there again: the entrance isn't the side door or the door that appears to be the front door, but the clear door leading into an eatery! (yes, I am stupid sometimes)

When I got to the restaurant, Jon and Jeremy were being geeks and talking about beer most of the time, and then comparing the restaurant's Pho to the homemade Pho on Sunday. (onions, little things floating around in the broth, meat, fish sauce, sweetness ratio, raw sugar, etc.) By the time they finished preparing their bowls with sprouts / lime / pepper sauce / chili sauce, my order arrived... that was pretty good, Jeremy observed. I told him about the "Muffin dog" discussion from yesterday, the Engrishy shirt from the Night Market which doesn't even make sense, the corn chocolate bars / wallet from Auntie Catherine. He wondered if there was such a thing as a bad combination: well, I'll give him and Jon one of the bars each sometime! (maybe Friday)

When we left, Jon wanted to take a picture of this huge rack of garlic which was being prepared at the table closest to the washrooms. Before he did, he asked the waitresses what they used it for. (at the table, they were saying that garlic wasn't used in any Pho recipe THEY knew of, and yet it got replenished every day!) She gave us vague answers, such as "rice." But she was pretty amused when Jon took a couple of pictures of the garlic and bowl of bulbs... this isn't something you see every day, particularly not at Pho places!

By the time we left, it was raining! I didn't have enough change for bus fare (my transfer having expired just 15 minutes before) when we walked to a B-Line stop, so Jeremy had to figure things out... yes, I'll pay him back, and have made a note of it. (and Jon wondered why I don't want to go with them tomorrow to Dix and the Railway Club for beer and shows!) When we got off the bus, I told Jon that I'd kill him if he told Jeremy the story of exactly how I lost my bus pass! The reason it took me long enough to say something about it (he made a remark when we left Pho Thai Son) was that we weren't in the same row of bus seats! Then he asked whether I'd had any responses to my mass email: Dylan and Karen Choo are going, and Jasmine / Vanessa / Cindy are not. (Denise just sent me a reply saying she's sorry she can't make it to the party: she'll be in L.A. on the weekend and won't be back till the evening of the 19th, but wants me to have a little extra fun for her: of course I shall, in true party animal fashion!)

We got Fringe memberships and such when we actually got to the theatre: I wish I'd grabbed a program of future shows, since apparently Holly is in there, heh. Instead, I ended up with a redundant show program since the usher gave us one.... oh well. When I got in there and wanted to move one row up to sit with Jon and Jeremy (I wasn't sitting with people I barely knew: Peter, Holly, and their two friends!), I misstepped and almost lost my balance. Dammit, I hate that!

THE UNBREAKABLE POPSICLE STICK GANG wasn't the quirky funny show that I (and Holly, apparently) was expecting. It's a one-man show, and the actor basically had a cake on stage with various sugars and such. He told us about his mother and this birthday party which would be held for her: HAPPY BIRTHDAY bags and decorations were everywhere. Then he told us stories about her and how his family faced her death some years back. It was all very different / funny / somber, and kinda made you think, for sure. Yes, it was a true story... he had a short video tribute to her when we went out for some of the homemade chocolate cake. (that was pretty good, and the program had the recipe for it) The title doesn't refer to a comical gang, but rather an illustration: you can break one Popsicle stick, while you can't break five at once. Honorary members and pinkies, indeed...

Afterwards, Holly drove us all home... phew! We discussed the CHICAGO jazzy soundtrack (since that's what we were listening to), the Cellblock Tango, Holly's high school-era CDs (N'Sync, Shania Twain, O-Town, 98 Degrees, and more), and how Jon should really see CHICAGO (I saw it with Larry Mudd in 2003!). Then we talked about the durian / Pho smell in Jeremy's fridge: when he opened some Tupperware to find out where it was coming from, it vanished! (our dad made Jon eat the durian he took home the day after) We also discussed musicals, urban legends (like the one with brandy from a cask with an 18th-century corpse in it!), Peter's last name (the same as Becky's), Teunis / his truck problems and getting home at 4 AM from Pho (interesting character who seems to know a lot about different things), "new car" smell (she got the car last week!), Eric's Parisienne (her car's spacious, but not compared to THAT!), Holly's auditions and substitute teaching, P.E. with kindergarteners who don't know how to play tag, etc. Pretty good time out, on the whole!


Name:
What would you be when you grow up?
You are a:Movie Star
Chance of the dream becoming a reality:
20%
This Fun Quiz created by Josh at BlogQuiz.Net
Libra Horoscope at DailyHoroscopes.Biz

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home