Sunday, August 20, 2006

Rant about old men who BODILY LIFT YOU UP FROM YOUR SEAT so they can sit on the bus!

(I've fleshed out the "My Past" memory section, and added a new one for rants / nonsense / reposts... I could have added more entries with the volume of rants here, but don't have time as I have to get up at 7:30... ugh...)

Yes, I know I'm different from most everyone else on the street. I do realize that I don't walk like everyone else, and the first impression of me that you get is likely to be your last. (and therefore you can't look past my disability to see the person underneath, unlike my friends and acquaintances) There is nothing I can do about it, either.

BUT.. why on earth would you assume that if I have problems with walking, that I am also deaf? Believe me, I can hear you when you quite clearly mutter "cripple" (or something similar) underneath your breath. Granted, I don't know you from Adam and hopefully won't see you again.. however, can't you keep your misguided notions inside your pea-sized brain?

For your information (even though you obviously don't need it, having made up your mind instantly and unchangeably), I am NOT crippled just because I have a noticeable limp when I walk. Doesn't mean I like it, but it's all I've ever known and will know. (since I was BORN with it, you flipping blasted idiots) Normally, I don't really think about it at all, but it's amazing the power words have, isn't it? With your one word of ignorance / hate / cruelty (I can't tell, and perhaps I'm lucky that way), you have managed to put thoughts of rage and helplessness in my head! (quite a feat for someone who's normally on an even keel and fairly self-sufficient)

Oh, and also for your information: I do need a seat on the bus, preferably in the courtesy seats. Not that I can't stand on the bus; I have done so, and will probably have to do so again. Notice I'm not saying I'm entitled to a seat on the bus, but if I'm already sitting in a seat, there's little chance I'll give it up because of my balance issues. (unless there's someone who obviously needs it more than me.. crowded buses negate that chance, though)

But for goodness sakes, DO NOT lift me up bodily out of my seat so I can perforce give up my seat to someone! Just because it happens to be the last courtesy seat available, and I look like a younger healthy person with no apparent disability doesn't necessarily mean that I'll give it up for an old lady. Sure, I might have if you'd asked me politely (or if I'd noticed first, which I didn't), but when you go straight to the "personal space invasion method".. that's just NOT cool with me. And absolutely no call to fling an expletive ("Bitch!") at me when I do get off the bus, either!

Damn jabronies.

No, I am not totally rude when old people get on the bus: I will give up my seat for them, or at least make an offer. But in the situation described above, I didn't notice. Not noticing doesn't mean I pretended to be asleep / engrossed in my book so I wouldn't have to give the seat up! Some people, indeed...

Oh, and recognizing a sketch in the paper of a person who's wanted for sexual assaults of some sort on women (because he harassed YOU on the bus!) isn't much preferable to this!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home