Monday, July 31, 2006

Thirteen hours isn't fourteen hours, but it's good enough! (parties and stickers)

I got up at 6:20 PM, which meant that I managed to (mostly) sleep through knocking at my window and the headache that I took Advil for. Checking my email, I found one from Steph ("Glasses and Mother") and one from Justin ("dinner party"). Hey, it's a good thing Steph asked Mom since I was going to do that tonight.. and I'm invited to another one of Justin's birthday parties! I remember the year that I couldn't go to the party because it was on the same night as Billy and Stella's wedding banquet. Denise, Brian, and others went to the banquet straight from the party... Napoleon Brandy rules, even if Mel DID say he could smell the alcohol on me from a foot away! ;) Then there was last year, where the party was at the Cat's Meow on Granville Island: I wasn't invited, and heard about it beforehand. However, since Jon didn't have control over the guest list, I was outta luck and a smidge disappointed. But now I'm on the list, albeit for an expensive party! (tomorrow at 8 at Feenie's)

Steph has this to say: "Mum says to tell you that she will call you either tonight or tomorrow as to when she (and me! hoho!... I know, she and I, not me) can go with you to get glasses. She's at work right now and apparently taking up lots of shifts for MeiLin in the next two weeks (prepare yourself for stress! hoho!). So she's not sure when she's free yet. hoho! As for me, I'm good for tonight and Tuesday and all weekend (its a long one!)"

So then I called Steph, who says that she won't be able to go with me to get the glasses prescription because Mom says Friday is a good time. Apparently, MeiLin's taking ten weeks of holiday when you're only supposed to take two. But I guess my sleep schedule will be "normal" by Thursday, or so I hope! Steph also said that she got Justin's email. (Jon may or may not go because he has practice with Phyllis) Then we looked at the Feenie's menu... so much Flash and expensive stuff! (although we expected it to be expensive, even for "white food") We decided not to go precisely because of the expense... more expensive than Earl's, Milestones, and other places! (that "steak and shrimp" special at Milestone's really IS a special!) Maybe if they go out for bubble tea or something later... but Justin's at work now, according to his dad. Oh well.

I've decided that I'll get Terry a "Happy 30th Birthday!" card... I didn't think of it for Jenny, Chung, David M., or any of my other friends who are turning 30 this year. (generic dollar store cards are my main game!) But now that I have notice and such... The teens were singing Hilary Duff on Friday night... ew? heh

Heh, I just got hatted again by thischarminghat.

[20:33:03] thischarminghat: i say, old bean, have you seen my hat?
[20:33:44] AlenaBrolxFlami: ah, the hat bot
[20:34:31] thischarminghat: Intriguing
[20:34:56] AlenaBrolxFlami: yes... do you know of this phenomenon?
[20:35:43] thischarminghat: I'm afraid I must admit to being in the dark.
[20:35:52] thischarminghat: I do know where to find pants, though.
[20:36:25] AlenaBrolxFlami: well, okay.. look up themissinghat on LJ...
[20:37:08] AlenaBrolxFlami: basically, it's a bot that connects 2 LJ users randomly on AIM
[20:37:15] thischarminghat: Interesting
[20:39:06] AlenaBrolxFlami: yes, it is... you mentioned that you know where to find pants... where would that be?
[20:39:19] thischarminghat: At a pants store
[20:39:21] thischarminghat: :::nods:::
[20:39:27] thischarminghat: Also, in closets.
[20:39:33] thischarminghat: But you have to be sneaky about those.
[20:39:38] thischarminghat: People get wary when they start losing pants.
[20:41:17] AlenaBrolxFlami: I agree with you.
[20:41:52] thischarminghat: What's your take on purple pants?
[20:43:59] AlenaBrolxFlami: I happen to like the color purple. Purple pants can be eye-catching.
[20:44:47] thischarminghat: Also, purple is a funny-looking word.
[20:49:54] AlenaBrolxFlami: It is kinda funny-looking, but it can be fun to say.
[20:50:19] thischarminghat: Very true. I, however, am going to my friend's house. He's not wearing purple pants. Have a good night
[20:50:34] AlenaBrolxFlami: Good night then.


Now I have time to write down all the personal information I gleaned over the weekend, plus all the facts from the animal habitat stickers I bought on Friday afternoon!

Reptiles and amphibians: frog, gecko, turtle, alligator, tree frog, rattlesnake

* Amphibians and reptiles are ectothermic (cold-blooded) vertebrates and, unlike birds and mammals, cannot produce their own body heat.

* Amphibians must spend at least part of their life cycle in water... something not required of reptiles.

* Reptiles produce shelled eggs and are able to live in dry habitats where amphibians could not survive.

* Quick Fact: A bullfrog has teeth in the roof of its mouth and a muscular tongue capable of flipping out and pulling in its next meal.


Insects and Spiders: lightning bug, cecropia moth, praying mantis, elephant beetle, royal fritillary butterfly, narrow weevil, metallic green weevil, tropical ant, ruby spot damselfly, ladybug, birdwing butterfly, wolf spider

* An insect's body is divided into three sections: head, thorax, and abdomen.

* Insects have six legs and (usually) wings, all of which are attached to the thorax.

* A spider has two parts to its main body: a hard front part (including the head and thorax), and a soft hind part (the abdomen).

* Along with eight legs, spiders have a narrow stalk or waist called the pedicel, joining their two main body parts.

* Quick Fact: 75% of all animals in the world are insects.


Marine Life: dolphins, green turtle, stingrays, humpback whale, shark

* Oceans, coral reefs, and estuaries cover 75% of the earth's surface.

* The Pacific is the largest of the seven oceans, taking up one-third of the globe.

* Aquatic plants provide oxygen, food, and protection for sea life.

* Quick Fact: Humpback whales migrate from polar feeding grounds in the summer to tropical breeding grounds in the winter.


Marine Aquariums: starfish, seashells, dalmation molly, queen angel, juvenile Korean angel, bicinctus clown, powder blue tang, electric blue damsel, yellow tang, sohal tang, benigoi oi

* Marine aquariums contain the most colorful fish, but the corrosive saltwater can be damaging to aquarium equipment.

* Beginning tanks should range from 20-30 gallons in size and 75-82°F in temperature.

* Plants and reefs provide hiding places to break up territories and decrease aggression among fish.

* Quick Fact: Tank fish eat marine-based seaweed and algae which strengthens their immune systems, reduces aggression, and improves their overall health.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home