Saturday, June 03, 2006

There is NO SUCH THING as an intensive purpose! / "I'm going to BreakOut!" / "Octothorpes!"

Eric picked me up last night and then I was incredibly random. He commented on my cackling almost as soon as I got into the car, and tried to trick me into sitting on his Kleenex box by putting a bag of stuff over it... that did not work, even though he thought it would. I can be out of it sometimes, but not THAT weird! The mountains were so green because there was no snow on them, and that made them look closer to us than they really were.. gotta love perspective! Some people tried to cross in front of us.. Eric waved at them to let them know he was there, and the first group waved back. Uh, hello... he could run you over if he wanted to! The ride to church was interesting, as usual: he asked me again what the reason was for not returning my bowls this week, so I told him that it was because of Aaron and Joyce's wedding and not being able to get home after Fellowship.

The speaker last night spoke of untamed faith and being wild... it was fine content-wise, but kinda mediocre grammar-wise. He spoke of a crowd of Communist officers who "bursted" into an illegal home Bible Study in Russia (and also of a 16-year-old girl who died for her faith by "busting" through the crowd of believers there), and also said something like "For every intensive purpose that I have..." near the end. Ugh! It was interesting when he said that he'd been at his church (Hallelujah EFC in Toronto) for six years (he's only 24 and married to a hot blonde, he says!) and that the English Congregation was originally about 30 members: now it's at about 100, and that's not all due to the original people having babies! As Eric told me then, that would be impressive, haha!

After the program, we all went downstairs for refreshments. I talked to Frances about my hat: she thinks it's new, when I got it from Jon last summer and have been wearing it for a few months! Talked generally to Sheena, Jen, Chalaine, Vanessa, and a few others about life, my MSN name ("Down With The Establishment!" works!), and going to Ikea to get picture frames for the Benjamin kiddies. I told Jeremy how my mom wanted him to bring Jon's empty suitcase on Sunday: since he'd forget, he set a reminder to himself on his phone... very handy! Turns out he's going to a wedding today as well.. I remembered his saying something about that a few weeks ago. He doesn't really know the people who are getting married, but a bunch of his family's going from Kelowna so it'll be nice to spend time with them.

We also tried the Sparkling Green Apple pop, which tasted interesting: he said it was like green apple bubble tea, and Margaret thought the color was very intense and sorta like Scope... although Steph said that Scope was lighter! We laughed about Jon's grad mixup: Vivian and Karen were concerned too, of course. Eric asked me about Jon's blog reference to "mediocre minds like mine and intelligent minds like my sister's"... not me, but Steph! I only heard about it after the fact, dude.

Michelle, Steph, Vanessa, Daniel, Danielle, and Fidela were trying to come up with names for the post-Floodlight upcoming post-secondary group, and a few of us were trying to help out with suggestions.

* Race (from the verse about running a good race)
* Breakout ("THINK about it, Daniel... I'm going to Breakout?!")
* 180 ("Fidela doesn't like it!")
* Floodlight Upgrade ("That sounds kinda lame...")
* Ignite ("Isn't Lucas' church doing something with that name?")
* Solitude / Culture Shock ("No, no... we want them to come!")
* Grow! ("I'm going to GROW! Uh, yeah.. sounds real nice!")
* Contagious ("I know we want them to be on fire for God, Daniel... but think about it! I'm going to Contagious?! We might as well name the group SARS or Bird Flu!")
* Ascend ("That means growing, right guys?")
* FreeFalling (that made both me and Jeremy think of the Tom Petty song, and it made the others say "uh... you'd die if you did that from a parachute!")

Eventually, we settled on the last one and figured it would grow on us. This was just in time for Michelle to call Eric and Jeremy geeks since they were drawing graphs and such on one of the chalkboards downstairs. I don't recall what they were for, but that was an interesting diversion... Jeremy brought up octothorpes, which set us off on a discussion of our favorite words. (BIFTECK, defenestration, and more!) Danielle asked if Steph knew her and Citrus' anniversary since Steph was wishing Margaret and Jeff a happy one of going out... she knows a week afterwards, and recognized a picture on Citrus' computer when she went to borrow a shirt last time we were at his place as the one he sent her when he told her about his new girlfriend! ("I knew you'd ask that... *file transfer a millisecond later*") Rich reminded us of the meeting on Sunday since we were voting on selling the church: without that, the new building project cannot proceed! Then we loitered outside of the church since we couldn't do that inside the building.

Steph, Vanessa, and others were pretty crazy discussing inside jokes ("I want to twirl!" from the SIMPSONS), BS meaning Bible Study and Eric's original reply to a Daniel Fellowship email involving BS (he still gets those emails but doesn't mind, since they're often more informative than the ones for OUR group!), barbecues, the SLB pics Steph has yet to send to us, dinner on July 15 (we're cooking for them?!), the cooking competition, the sign where Jeremy parked his bike ("It would be hilarious if it was a sign that said not to park your bike there!"), and other things. Jeremy, Eric, Steph, and I were going to go eat... but incredible tiredness and other considerations won out.

On the way home, we discussed invisible pictures (Eric apparently sent some people pictures in an attachment that wasn't on his email). We also talked about Ivan's proposal to Karen IN CHURCH SERVICE (and he had to apologize for it since the deacon board obviously didn't like it), Karen's fellowship emails, my being incredibly random about cellphones getting lost in caverns, the booty logo, Jon getting mixed up with the grad dates (my sister and I found it amusing since we didn't have to pay any $200 penalties!), and other things. Very interesting ride home, haha.

After a while at the townhouse, I read my brother's anthology of British Lit. My brother called at almost 3 AM his time, so I actually talked to him for a while. He's heard that Mom thinks I like Jeremy, and that is NOT true. (it helps if you're with someone you know!) I told him about recent Fellowship doings and other things: it was interesting to talk to him, haha. Then I tried sleeping at 1:30 AM, which didn't work so well. I think I kinda fell asleep at 4-ish, then was awakened at 6:20 by traffic. Yeah, I definitely had a cup of black coffee at breakfast!

Now it's lunchtime (wonton and dumplings) before the wedding. Thank goodness my sister agreed to let me use her laptop. :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home