Saturday, June 03, 2006

OMG... Most Awkward Wedding Ever!

This afternoon's wedding was okay, but it was kinda awkward since my uncle isn't speaking to my mom, his sister... and didn't acknowledge us at all. At least his wife acknowledged us, and of course my grandma did. My sister said it would be funny if we saw Tim and Maxine there, since Tim is Joyce's colleague: we saw them with baby Joshua, and waved at them. Our "cousin" Anna came over and gave Mom a hug and offered her place to my parents when they go to Toronto for Jon's grad this week. She's nice, and she's not family by blood really. Steph told me that she'd heard from Cindy that Sandra had a baby girl named Elizabeth Grace a couple weeks ago: so her Joshua now has a sister.. so cute! Nice news to hear! We saw some "cool uncle" who'd offered my sister drinks in Vegas when she was 13... he's quirky, heh.

We were kinda going to leave early, but my cousin Lillian has a good heart: she told us that they'd be taking family pictures, so we waited around till it was our turn. At least she personally thanked me for coming, which was nice. On the way home after the 30-minute wedding, Mom rehashed the family drama with my sister and me. It all started when Joyce (my cousin Aaron's now-wife) relayed misinformation about Grandma to my uncle, who believed what his kids said without question... that included certain untrue allegations by my other cousin Yvonne. My mom threatened not to attend the wedding (we were invited with 3 days to go before the RSVP deadline) and sent my uncle some letter detailing her feelings about how he should be more adult and act like a man by asking her about what his kids said. (there was a much meaner version that she decided not to send: "You're the man, so you apologize first!") Aiyoh... o_O

I can understand my mom being stressed / hurt, and she doesn't want us three to be like that to each other: "If your kids say something mean about their aunt or uncle, talk to each other first!" After some time at home, we went out again to pick my dad up from church. Apparently, Sam had been calling me yesterday / today, and asked Melia where I was: eep. I'll apologize to him tomorrow. The banquet was all right, but again kinda awkward as we didn't really know anyone. I talked to Tim and Maxine a little: Tim referred Sarah to make the wedding cake! The invitation said to come at 6, but the banquet room wasn't ready till 7. Never been at a banquet that did things like that before...

My sister took pictures of me with Tim and Maxine, and tried suggesting that she'd do embarrassing things in order to get Aaron and Joyce to kiss... that side of the family would be the ones who'd be embarrassed, she said. Maybe, but I reminded her that Tim and Maxine were there even if we didn't see anyone there ever again. That deterred her, thankfully. My cousin Yvonne's daughter Andrea is two, and got bored rather quickly. She was fascinated by looking out the windows, and by my mom's shiny top. I got her to wave to me, assisted by her dad William. She gave balloon animals to my grandma, her great-grandma. The water tasted off, so my sister and I stuck to red wine and coffee. We left when everyone was at the dessert buffet, so my mom wouldn't have to say congratulations to the couple or face her brother. At least my aunt personally thanked me for coming during the toasting of tables... maybe she was just being polite, but it was appreciated! Ironic that she'd turn out to be the cordial one, heh.

Steph has a bad feeling that this will be the last time we see Grandma, since she did say that she could die happy once Aaron (her favorite grandson) was married. Who knows... she might take a turn for the worse in Hong Kong when she's there to fix her eyes again. At any rate, there will probably be no contact if her funeral's there... they'd better TELL us if such a thing happens, since that would be bad by any standard if they didn't! Very sad, indeed...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home