Sunday, April 09, 2006

Cold weather, Jeremy, pointing out things, and book sales

This morning, Steph was very surprised to hear that Henry was getting baptized. I think I won't give him a card; since I know Chris / Benedict / Danny better, I'll just give them cards after the fact or something. I'm not staying afterwards for the baptism service next week: that's a first in approximately six years or more! Seems Steph and I will both have to ask Eric for a ride home next week: I think Sam has another baptism to go to, since Emily was handing out their friend's invitations after Awana yesterday. But as long as I get a ride home and don't have to stay till 5 with my dad when I don't know even those three that well, I'll be happy. :D

When I got into service, Jeremy was talking to Phil, and waved me over. After a couple minutes, we sat down and talked to Alan and Dianne for a bit before service started. He thought that Alan looked scary with his shaved head, and Dianne informed us that we should have seen it on Friday when it wasn't quite shaved yet: it had hair sticking out everywhere, apparently. Then he wondered why my sister was leading worship again so soon after her last turn: she's going for the Sun Run on her scheduled week, so I guess she switched. (not necessarily a case of Nathan's being too busy with school, although his summer will make him die with interning and school and such!) Jeremy then told me that he was supposed to have a barbecue today: with the iffy weather, he hoped for a covered area! People brought over all the meat and beer yesterday already, so it's getting eaten somehow... Korean BBQ is still a barbecue! ;) (he suspected he'd get a call saying yay or nay, heh)

After service let out, I talked to Clement for a while: it was his birthday yesterday, so I gave him his birthday card. Then I asked about his sister Fidela: she's coming back in a month and can't wait to relax this summer! Last summer, we hardly saw her since she was all over the place on trips to Argentina and other places. I also talked to Karen Chan briefly and interacted with baby Nicholas.. he's so cute! When I went outside, Jeremy wondered where everyone was: nobody wants to hang out in the back parking lot when it's raining! We talked to Dianne and Alan in front of the church a little more: Dianne was cold, and wanted to go home since her sister Cindy had made shepherd's pie. (that sounds so yummy, especially since I haven't had some in a long time!) Alan bugged Dianne about her wanting to send something to his girlfriend Tracy in Ohio when she could just ask for her address on MSN, but of course he'll do it!

Eventually, Jeremy decided to walk around to the back to see if anyone was there. I decided to join him, and we saw umbrellas aplenty! I gave Chrystal her birthday card, and then Eric bugged me: "Oh, you're actually here. You seem to not be showing up to things lately!" Well, I did LET YOU KNOW that I wouldn't be going on Friday... so even if you show up at my door, that's what happens! *shrug* Jen wondered if anyone was going to Sunday School before she and Citrus went to the 7-11, and Jeremy asked if it was okay to keep his green bike locked to a tree if he went with Nathan. Then Mike met Jeremy, and wondered who he was with. He was Jon's friend originally, but he got to know a bunch of people (like Nathan and Eric) before he started coming to our church. Emily, Vanessa, Steph, Eric, and Mike got into a discussion of 24 complete with voice impersonations... funny stuff, but I had to jet and help with the toddlers. That went all right, heh.

After that, I talked to Chris and the twins Adam and Andrew for a while about dim sum and class reunions. (one of them called me Lassie for a joke, like old times at VBS years ago... now they're in Gr. 10!) At lunch, my mom tried to tell me to shut up if I didn't have anything nice to say. Oh, I could have told her many things... but I think she was just surprised that I dared to point out she was gossiping, and wanted to use the double standard of "if I do it, it's correct... if YOU do it, it's WRONG!" on me. Thank goodness I don't subscribe to that! I got my frustrations out soon afterwards, so it's all good. Besides, I know I'm right and she's wrong. :P

On the way home, my sister recorded my mom saying something TMI and said that she'd play it for Jon when they called him tonight: it probably shouldn't be posted on the Internet, though! (nobody else wants to know what she was talking about!) Then my mom got it into her head that I wanted to go to a book sale: they had a free coupon yesterday for a certain number of books if you came back today. Since she was trying to do something for me, I went along with it: I got four books out of the deal, and my mom wondered why I didn't go around and take more. Uh, because I can only carry so many books at a time without a basket or other aid? (and I was rushed since I only had 10 minutes.. I could have used half an hour or something in there! :P) She said that she could have helped me, but considering that she wanted ME to carry her own four books afterwards, I don't think that was possible! (luckily, my dad prevailed) Maybe next time the sale's on in October or something... *sigh*

This is what I got from the sale:
* V.C. Andrews' If There Be Thorns (a good old book!)
* Chaim Bermant's The Patriarch (I like epic family stories, and this looked like one)
* Peter Carey's Illywhacker (it was a good-sized hardcover with what looked like interesting stories about an Australian 139-year-old con man!)
* Aritha Van Herk's Boundless Alberta (reminds me of The Vancouver Stories: West Coast Fiction from Canada's Best Writers, which I gave Corey for his birthday last year)


HAHAHA.. the radio's playing two songs / commercials at once! Interesting... :D

Time to catch up, and hopefully do some work / gaming! :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home