Sunday, October 09, 2005

Thanksgiving Baptisms 2005

Man, it's been a long day... and at least I'm here to update on it. My parents kinda wanted me to join them for dinner, but I already had Pho for lunch (I don't care if it's a different kind of noodle! :P)... AND going home after today's events was on my agenda so I could relax. ;)


On the way to church, my mom informed me that the tenants of this apartment complex would be given more time to leave.. I'll confirm that later on, heh. She also said that Justin and his brother Clement were also getting baptized (they decided at the last minute, no less!)... as I was saying to Denise later on, thanks for telling me when I had no time to grab the card I prepared for Justin years ago! (he was going to get baptized a few years back, but I guess he changed his mind) Their cousin Bryant was going to transfer his membership to this church today too, but I guess he changed his mind at the last minute... I know their family sounds flaky, but we love 'em anyhow. :D

I talked to Christon for a bit: since his mom's birthday is today, he probably wasn't going to stay for the baptism service afterwards. At least he was able to take two weeks' holiday for his birthday / his mom's birthday / Thanksgiving! Danielle couldn't stay either, since her mom and various relatives are in town: we agreed that the endless round of visits and functions make you wish you had your privacy back! I also talked to Chris about the long day he had ahead of him: drumming in both services, and then having to work later on! Got a chance to talk to Citrus and Jen, as well.

Vania's mom gave Nathan something for his family, and he asked me what her name was again: Tracy... and yes, I remember a lot of stuff since it comes in handy. ;) I gave Chalaine a birthday card: man, I like pleasantly surprising people in that way! :D Sheena and Chalaine's mom got baptized today too, as did my old friend Jocelyn's sister Joyce, and little Gwyneth and Evelyn's mom... Teresa had a 4.5-page testimony with a powerful story and lots of life history! (later, Nathan thought she could lead a seminar with that material, haha) Sheena thinks she'll take her mom out for dinner to celebrate, and agrees with me that there's no point to keeping the Chinese testimonies if you can't read them!

I finally saw Denise and thanked her for the birthday card she'd given me a while ago, and told her why I hadn't been at church that Sunday: Phil and Cindy agreed that the eviction news (with or without an extension) was terrible! Sheena asked how I remembered everyone's birthday, so I told her that I asked people and kept a list.. also, that Dave had buzzed me on MSN to ask when Vivian's birthday was (Oct. 30). He asked the right person, hehe. Somehow, that grew into a discussion of sitting online for hours, and leaving yourself signed in even when you were away: Denise and I hate it when people get mad and bug us with "Hello? Why aren't you there? Talk to me NOW! What's WRONG with you?!" (sounds like TP, haha)

Cindy had made a mistake on her homemade baptism cards: she thought Tina was getting baptized, but she wasn't. So she was trying (with my scissors and Sheena's suggestions) to make her card into one for Jason: I'm not sure it ever worked. =/ I talked to Frances for a bit: her brother David has a son named Ian, born last Sunday. The toddler Sunday School class went as usual: one of the babies from the baby room migrated to our class with Auntie Fonda's help.. little Amanda is so cute! (her sister Hannah used to be in the toddler class for a few weeks in the summer)

Afterwards, I had a Pho lunch with my parents before the baptism service. I managed to grab two baptism testimony booklets, since I want to keep one back for my brother when he gets back. Nathan, Eric, Alan, and I discussed certain long testimonies (Sarah's, Emily's, etc.) / Pastor Edward's slip when he called someone by the wrong name (ouch!) / the tall people almost getting cut off by the baptismal room's ceiling / Eric needing to leave since his Thanksgiving dinner was at 5 (he left at 4:40) / the long service and happiness at being baptized when they used to do it during regular service (Eric didn't, though) / baptism not taking away from worship during regular service (as my dad thinks), but adding to it. (that way, you don't have to stay for 4 hours afterwards either!) Of course, Nathan was signing baptism cards at the last minute (and even during the service!)... I told him that I'd planned ahead and done it at his place during the hockey game last night since there'd be no time today. Eric was writing down his hockey pool list, doodling Garfield and Homestar Runner, and resting... we all needed to close our eyes for a bit! ;)

After the baptism service was over, Nathan and I congratulated everyone we knew: we definitely hugged Ivan, Jason, Julie, Sarah (is it my imagination or is her mom a bit cold toward me?), Emily, Michael, Isabel, Justin, and Clement! I stayed for a little while longer, and gave Erin back her umbrella before I left... I also talked to Clement's girlfriend Jocelyn (not to be confused with my old friend with the same name... she met another Jocelyn with her last name at a Winter Conference once) and figured that we'd hang out with Jon when he got back at Christmas since we couldn't do it during the summer.

Long day, but definitely worth it... now, if we could only get the baptisms back in their previous time slots during regular service! ;)


Note: LJ Thanksgiving / LJ Thanksgiving Dinner Memegens. (by shinikami and Karen_Walker)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home