Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Finishing three products at once! / Trillian Astra / Taiwan religion / Willie Nelson

I've finished my shampoo, conditioner, and body wash on the same day once again; good thing I go for a big shop tomorrow... I installed Trillian Astra earlier, since I was tired of never being signed into MSN these days. It allows me to stay connected to Facebook and other programs - nice! Also decided to go back to Wordscraper; as I expected, a bunch of people forced wins on me, but 27 people have NOT! Crazy times! Thought I drew on myself with my sienna felt pen, but the stain seemed to magically go away once I was in the shower - NICE!


Corey, on fried chicken and demos:

[23:01:29] Corey: there's a pretty awesome fried chicken place near the train station here. it's in little nugget-sized pieces, but they don't take the bones out (almost nobody does that for any meat in Taiwan) which sucks. It's like $50! but that's in Taiwan money, so it's really like $1.50
[23:02:43] Flami: wah :(
[23:02:45] Corey: I have to go do a demo at a kids' school today... I don't really want to go... I already lined up a better morning / afternoon kids job that isn't even kids, but high school students, so I really don't need this one...
[23:03:16] Flami: you never know what will happen!
[23:04:21] Corey: well, this place doesn't even want to give me a work permit (so it's illegal)... the guy that runs it seems nice. a girl from Canada that's here for religious stuff hooked me up with this place.. she worked there before. she's actually in Canada now for a while
[23:09:56] Flami: what sort of religious stuff is there?
[23:11:43] Corey: I don't know, all I heard was "religious stuff." she told that to Jane over the phone, not me, so I don't know. there's plenty of Catholic / Christian / Western stuff here... even Mormons and Scientology!
[23:12:50] Corey: the normal religion though is, uh.. I don't know. it's like a mix of Buddhism and Taoism... these temples with lots of statues of various gods, and you burn fake money to give to them, and write your name and address down for them so they know where to send the good luck or whatever :P
[23:13:43] Corey: you have to buy all the services from those temples from what I've seen... they even have gift shops.
[23:14:21] Corey: apparently the Catholic schools here are the worst possible to teach English at. Chinese school owners will screw you over, but Chinese Catholic school owners think they have God's permission to screw you over, and care about you even less
[23:26:24] Flami: ha... given what I've heard about normal Catholic schools, this doesn't surprise me
[23:38:34] Corey: I was watching classes at one, but nothing ever happened with that
[23:39:13] Flami: probably a good thing
[23:41:18] Corey: maybe. that was illegal kindergarten anyway (being religious doesn't mean they care about the law any more than any other place does)
[23:45:43] Flami: haha, not surprised.


Trivia fact for Wednesday, Sept. 1: What legendary country singer released a double-disc album entitled The IRS Tapes: Who'll Buy My Memories? to help pay the millions in back taxes he owed Uncle Sam? Willie Nelson, in 1991. Nelson pitched the album in ads aired on late-night TV.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home