Friday, August 06, 2010

Grad Banquet 2010

Went to the library to return my last library book, spent 15 minutes on the computer there, and then went to Shoppers Drug Mart to get gum - Trident White in bubblemint, pineapple, Excel Mist mango, Pina Colada, spearmint, and peppermint! Things have returned to normal in the Cambie / Jacombs universe since I was later than he was! (I got there at 6:18 since the bus HAD to have problems and delays!) Eric and I talked about Teunis still staying over here, student loans, weights, sunglasses, my being irrationally annoyed at Subway and random pedestrians / drivers, quotes from STARCRAFT 1, the specs of Teunis' computer because he might need to upgrade if he were thinking about STARCRAFT 2 (TWO GIGABYTES OF RAM?!), Jeremy's dinner (we have a ride!), DARKWING DUCK, strangers providing food, and other things on the way to church. He wondered (in song) why I'd even brought my bag if I just wanted to put it in the trunk later, but I explained that I'd had to return library books beforehand!

Things were almost about to start by the time we got to the fellowship hall, but Eric still asked Cindy whether there was anything he could help with. She told him just to sit down and enjoy the evening, so he told me that I might not want to sit with him. Of course, he had to sit at a table containing (among others) Mr. Creep / Raymond / Randal! (he told me later that they were "cool people" - I DON'T THINK SO!) After unsuccessfully trying to get a seat at the front of the room (Grace / Jose / Shally said that Emily Lam could be sitting there - but she was at my table!), I sat with Emily Lam / Joey / Quan / Cordia / Pastor John / Sarah instead.

Said hi to Amanda, the people at my table, Deb, Dylan, Carmen, Lucas, Albert, Wesley, Auntie Catherine, and others during the course of the evening. I avoided Eric's table except for when I told Christon (on the other end of that table) that Teunis and I would both be making it to the dinner. Of course, I told him about Teunis' food allergies / sensitivity, and wasn't really able to explain "nightshade" too well. (I'm not allergic to them, so wouldn't really have much cause to know...) Christon asked Sheena to see if SHE would know, since she's in the plants program - she had no idea, either. Eventually, he said that he'd have to look it up later, but "no tomatoes or Bell peppers" works for a general guideline as the menu right now doesn't have either of those two items on it.

The videos and roasts were pretty cool, even if there were issues with the sound! Quan said that Joyce had worked on most of their video for Cordia (anime / lots of eating / Comic Sans / Miley Cyrus), with Facebook and Hien distracting them - haha, not a surprise! Jonathan and the other guys who roasted Emily Tso evidently didn't really edit their speech: "We were only going to go to Fellowship once a month or so, but then we decided to go every week after seeing HER!" Apparently, the guys didn't realize how that sounded.... then Jonathan said something about someone trying to hook him up with their cousin. Uh, dude... your MOTHER is in attendance!

The Grad Committee got Olivia and her boyfriend to roast each other - apparently, their relationship consists of gaming (STARCRAFT!) and TMI like waxing legs. Okay, then - there are some things we REALLY didn't need to know! J-Mak's roast suffered from the sound issues, but basically everyone pasted a mask of him over their faces and then asked random people questions about him like "Would you ever date this guy?" Mei Lin and Julie did a mutual roast, just like in 2006! We didn't know that Julie's middle name was Melissa, Denise's middle name Ingrid, or Brian's middle name Christopher!

Sarah was surprised when I had black coffee (and had also spent the day hanging around the house, and got her mom's hacked email), Emily says Sam is coming back tomorrow morning, Deb hoped that I didn't have the GIGANTIC Bathroom reader yet (nope) and asked after Teunis (not going back up north since he's literally allergic to the place), Carmen / Deb / I talked about camping / the Philippines / too many people getting married or pregnant these days, and Mike managed to bruise Amanda while whipping a towel in her general direction. "I bruise like a PEACH!" Christon says that Harmony is likely getting burned out with the weddings she has to attend with Jon (Dave's / one in Seattle / one in Kelowna) and then the Italy trip - I'm not surprised! Upon hearing that Jon's an extreme extrovert and Harmony's an introvert, Albert said that opposites attract - so true! He and Christon were also having a talk about unhealthy issues, Asian parental caring, and more.

To hopefully avoid being annoyed by Eric cleaning up for at least 45 minutes after the end of the evening (I had to WAIT), I watched Ivan / Mike / Isaac / Amanda / Citrus / Joey play ping-pong. It didn't really work, partly because Mr. Creep also stayed behind to help with the chairs and such. (he almost injured Cindy when a stack of chairs went tumbling from a wheeled cart!) Mike could blow the ping-pong ball for a bit above his mouth, so of course Amanda had to get video of that! Later, Cindy and Sheena were trying to get us to take leftovers home - no go for me! Eric and I had to wait for Geoffrey to get a rather large salad portion when it looked like Stanley might kick us out. *sigh*

While we were leaving the parkade, Eric told me to roll down my window - he made a STARCRAFT date for an hour or so later with Mike; how cute! Having Geoffrey in the car seriously cramps my conversational style, haha. We did talk about his Houston friend visiting, Pike Place Market, chicken, "cool" people, the skewer special at the Richmond Night Market, getting gas, my bad math, brainfarts, Eric taking me too literally, implied death threats, and more. When Geoffrey was out of the car (we'll see him Sunday), I gave full vent to my feelings about my "friend" (creepers are NOT my friends!) / DARKWING / Batman / the Joker / OOZE / Teunis' perception of Mr. Creep being like someone else we both know. When I said I couldn't wait to have gum (I had some in the foyer even!), Eric joked that I wanted to make my breath kissable - NO! I forgot to tell him that Teunis has a distinct aversion to gum, but maybe on Sunday! We're going early on Sunday since he switched his week to do sound - you can't do that and play on the worship team at the same time! (well, you COULD... just not easily!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home