Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Belcarra Park with the kids - Addison, Rossini, Keefe, Kayden, Kaden, and more?!

On the way to church, Henry and I didn't discuss much - we were both trying to get used to being awake! He'd unconsciously pressed the snooze button twice, including right after I called him to wake him up / remind him to pick me up. As I told a number of people (Sabrina / Andrew / Rosenda / Jennifer), trying to sleep earlier did NOT work! Had a bit of breakfast in the kitchen when we got to church in between bantering with Jessica / Zoe / Elaine / Victor / Jason / David. When Steven passed me the jam, I declined - if I ate too much that early in the morning, I would feel like puking it out right away! At least I found out who was behind those mysterious calls from the church - it had been Auntie Rebecca, trying to figure out where I was. I had told Chris last Sunday night, and had tried calling her too... guess it didn't get through for some reason! At least she didn't tell me to be responsible (though that might have been implied in "tell me directly") - I would have HATED that, haha.

I looked at a list of the kids - Addison, Keefe (who saw me in a blue church shirt and asked me for help with his name tag!), Odelia, Kaden, Kayden, and other such "names" were on there! One of the leaders is named Rossini, too - nice for a LAST name! I interacted with Hannah S., Rosanna, Samantha, Rachel, Amanda, Eric, Arthur (who held my hand when I went to get him some chips later), Ian x2, Sean, Gabriel x2, Olivia, Carrie (Cynthia's sister), Harrison, Conor, Sean x2, Amos, Kiersten, Victoria, Eunice, Isaac, Reigan, Jinny, Jordan, Thomas, Matthew Ma #2, Aaron ("it's you again!"), and other kids. Was awake enough to ask Chris when Awana started this year - Sept. 11, the same date as the Walkathon again! (so replied to Maxine's Evite for Karen's bridal shower to say I wouldn't be coming - phew!) Saw Hannah W., Andrew L., Stella H. ("you have FACEBOOK?!"), and Julie C. as leaders - Julie thought I didn't recognize her! Short shorts and lip gloss already - oh dear! Rosenda said her mom was sick, and it's hard for her since she's so far away in the Philippines... that's too bad! Discussed hugs, weight loss, the park, being hungry, and more.

After a while of prayer / singing / announcements, we were off to Belcarra Park. I went with Mike / Cynthia / Chloe / Danny in a car (passing Port Moody / Ioco Road on the Camp Sasamat route) - went into McDonalds briefly so the guys could get something to eat. Then we discussed the DOUBLE RAINBOW SONG ("so intense!"), how Danny's Canto-pop made Mike's ears bleed, iPhone usage, Cordia saying that there was a teacher at Terry Fox named Mrs. Gay-Lord, Vivian S.'s prospective real estate agent being named Gaye Males, Cynthia taking off the deep-fried chicken skin from yesterday's KFC (Mike called me "Les," which I certainly don't mind) / the batter from tempura, map directions, and more. At the park, most of the kids played games or went down to the beach to look for small crabs. When it was my team's turn to go down to the beach, I asked Mike to tell Rosenda that I'd be going back up to the playground - I didn't feel too comfortable going down the steps with no rails, what with my balance issues and all! Hopefully, she understood without my saying so - I might tell her tomorrow, haha.

Conor talked to me about the hot weather, his brother Sean S. said something about his uncle's house being near the ocean, and I tried keeping the wandering kids within our sight and such! Everyone was impatient for lunch (chips / burgers / drinks... BILLY IS SLOW, haha) - Matthew wandered a little TOO far and was upset, Jordan was also upset and called all the leaders UNFAIR, people called a jester a JOKER, people used spray-on sunscreen (I should get some of that!), and the kids generally had fun. (water bottle wars and such - NO GOING NEAR THE BARBECUE IF THE PARK RANGERS ARE CLEANING IT!) On the way back to church, the girls and I fell asleep a few times. At church, we waited for the kids' parents to arrive... one of the kids asked why I was their new leader. Hey, there's nothing I can do about my friend's exam schedule! (as I was telling the leaders in the morning)

I proved myself to be patient and a good listener once again (even if I do say so myself) when Sean L. came into the fellowship hall and said something to me about "24 x 3!" I went back out with him to find that he was talking about the bus seats / rows / capacity! Then we discussed the yellow notices, the ride arrangements, Awana, this week, where my name was on the seat, the food car, and more - he leaned against me for some of the discussion, but I certainly didn't mind that. He knows who I am, at least! (always glad to help this kid, with his ISSUE) I laughed at Julie and David setting a bad example for Amos and the remaining kids by slapping each other with pool noodles. Henry drove me home (while fielding a call from his sister about a dinner tonight) - he says to call him tomorrow morning, too. I can probably do that once I decide to get out of bed, haha! Got home at 4 and caught up on stuff, answered the Evite (NO), checked my email (Mr. Creep had emailed the entire group to let us know that he found a job - "a victory," he calls it... I DON'T CARE!), paid my hydro bill (it's higher than it should be - a combo of taxes and Teunis?), paid for the next year's bus pass, and fielded an email about a family dinner for my birthday / Jon and Harmony's going-away. AWKWARD! Maybe now I'll do some work - if I nap, I'll screw up my schedule even more!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home