Friday, May 21, 2010

Swami playas / Oops, Auntie Ying! / Big mouths in Taiwan about payment

High-scoring words of the late night:

PLAYA (440 points) - against Fran R. [2W, 4W, 5W]
SWAMIS (102 points) - against Lori H. [3W, 2W] {a good deficit-erasing word!}

I just realized that I forgot to call Auntie Ying for the second Thursday in a row. Ah well, looking after Grandma and catching up are valid excuses, right? ;)

Jane's family has big mouths, apparently...

[00:22:20] Flami: I don't know what you want to do
[00:25:47] Corey: I want to finish my lesson plan for my Saturday morning class, and then find an article for my new private student that doesn't pay me enough because of Jane's family having big mouths :P
[00:25:57] Corey: then I can play Dragon Force!!!
[00:26:11] Flami: big mouths?
[00:28:03] Corey: Jane told her mom what I make at David's (adult school) which isn't much (kind of a probationary rate that will go up as soon as they know I'm okay, which I'm hoping is very soon since they're getting me my ARC now). Her mom told Jane's aunt, who told HER English teacher, who found me a private student, and told THEM what I make...
[00:28:55] Corey: so I didn't really want to argue right in front of this kid and his parents that their rate was too low... they paid me for a full class just when I met them though, even when I said they shouldn't, so at least they're nice :P
[00:58:39] Corey: so now that English teacher apparently wants lessons from me regularly, plus she's trying to set up a class on the weekends (which will at least be her and her husband, if not others), and find me even more private students... so she's helping me out a LOT, but she thinks I don't make much money...
[00:58:45] Corey: so I had Jane (they all want to deal with me through her, so they can speak Chinese) tell her that the normal rate is WAY higher than that, and she had the wrong number because that's just the "new person" rate at that school, and it will be going up soon... plus, private classes are supposed to be a lot more money than a normal job
[00:58:51] Corey: but, we like her a lot for helping me, so she'll be getting a discount, of course... so everything else should be better money, hopefully
[00:58:54] Flami: I don't suck - it's Trillian
[00:58:57] Corey: but I might get another 3-6 hours of work (tax-free since this is private stuff, not real work) a week out of just her, so that helps quite a bit. another teacher I know keeps saying he'll give me a couple private students, too. Jane's cousin also wants private lessons from me, and she apparently knows people from work that want those, too
[00:59:14] Corey: my real job is only 4 hours a week right now, so if I can keep that fairly low and just do tons of private students, it'd be pretty nice... higher pay, no taxes
[00:59:20] Corey: less preparation too, since those are all people that will talk a lot and have lots of questions for me, rather than the usual classroom student that's silent unless I force them to speak (in a conversational class where they're paying to practice speaking)
[01:19:44] Flami: man, that doesn't sound good that they have big mouths... but if all this comes together, it should work out quite nicely
[01:23:50] Corey: well, I corrected the English teacher about the prices... Jane was all worried that this was going to offend her entire family since it's through her aunt, but it was fine... this teacher is pretty nice
[01:24:24] Corey: I made sure the main point of the call was to find out more about what she wants... our demands were after that, and not in a demanding way :P
[01:25:49] Flami: haha... well, I guess that's a good thing then :P
[01:38:09] Corey: she's an English teacher, but she's Chinese... and while she knows a lot, she has to ask me a lot of things, so she wants lessons from me. it'll be nice because she doesn't want me to prepare anything, she just wants to ask me a bunch of questions :P
[01:38:23] Corey: she's a good teacher, so she'll probably prepare her own class, basically
[01:38:37] Corey: I don't know much at all about teaching, I'm just a native speaker of the language :P
[01:40:38] Flami: okay, I guess that does work out
[01:45:56] Corey: people mostly want practice with a native speaker.. they learn English in school and stuff, and aren't too interested in learning lots of vocabulary and stuff, they mostly need practice using it with someone that can correct everything for them
[01:46:26] Corey: a lot of people here know some English, they just have almost no confidence using it
[01:50:27] Flami: understandable... now, bedtime... goodnight :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home