Friday, April 23, 2010

Sweeping Mojo, paying in cash, non-interactive students, and James Bond

High-scoring words of the night:

SWEEP (300 points) - against Tim M. [two 5W]
BESTROWS (104 points) - against Lisa K. [2W, 5W]
MOJOES (144 points) - against Judy T. [2W, 4W]


I left Corey a message asking how teaching went, so I got these messages when I returned home:

[17:24:15] Corey: well, remember how the other school got rid of me, saying "you don't smile enough"?
[17:24:48] Corey: the girl from the front desk at this place came in to ask me how it went after the class ended, and I said I thought it was okay, and her first comment was "yeah, I could see you smiling a LOT!!" :P
[17:25:11] Corey: so, apparently my smile is not the issue :P
[17:27:11] Corey: it was okay, though... I thought I prepared way too much stuff, but they wouldn't talk much (it's supposed to be a discussion class), so I ended up running out of material and time at exactly the same time. I don't know that it was amazing, but nothing bad happened or anything, other than less student interaction than I would have liked.
[17:27:29] Corey: they talk when they're directly told to, but if you just ask the class for an answer... yeah, right


So then I gave my input when he was there:

[21:40:01] Flami: yup, I remember that... I suppose your smile isn't the issue, at least not with this school.. or the other school WAS covering up...
[21:40:29] Flami: maybe they don't feel confident answering in English, but I assume that IS the point of the class...
[23:09:52] Flami: oh well, what can you do?
[23:10:11] Corey: work at this place instead? :P
[23:12:17] Flami: good idea, if they'll have you :P
[00:06:14] Corey: well, they gave me money last night....
[00:07:20] Flami: they pay in cash? (Trillian crashed)
[00:07:43] Corey: yep, apparently so
[00:08:33] Flami: nice! :D
[00:11:11] Corey: my salary is the lowest possible there right now, but I'm also not working legally yet since I don't have an ARC (work visa), so I'm not paying any tax :P so if they increase my pay (they said they would gladly do that if things go well, and / or students say good things about me... the pay is just lower since I have no previous experience), and then start taking tax out, I think it'll be about the same

Briefly talked to Auntie Ying as well. She has trust issues with her co-workers, who aren't as honest and open as she might expect them to be. Well, all I can say is welcome to the normal work environment! :P

Trivia fact for Friday, Apr. 23: What was the only theme song from a James Bond movie to reach the top spot on U.S. pop music charts? A View to a Kill, performed by the rock group Duran Duran for the 1985 film of the same name.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home